Weight Watchers and Breast Feeding

Hi...I just had my 3rd baby and am 30 pounds overweight. I currently weigh 180 pounds and was 170 when I got pregnant. I was wondering if anyone tried weight watchers while they were breast feeding? If so, I am wondering how many points I am allowed for my current weight and the fact that I am breast feeding. I am hoping that there is something that I can do to lose some of this weight now b/c I do not feel, or for that fact, look good. If anyone could let me know the point allowed while breastfeeding for someone who weighs 180lbs I would appreciate it. Also, If anyone has had success without compromising their milk supply I would love to hear from you...Failures too please. I am really trying to figure out what is the best way to take some of this weight off and still give my beautiful daughter all the nutrition she needs. Thanks.

I have not tried Weight Watchers in years, but both my sister and I had babies in the past 10 months and we are both on Jenny Craig. They put you on a higher calorie diet, you still lose weight and can breastfeed. I chose it because it is more convenient for me than WW because I don't have to prepare anything really. It's all prepared already which is very handy when you have a little one! Just another option for you.

I cannot say enough good things about WW while BFing. I weighed 197 when I joined--and they gave me 37 points (I am 5'9"). The weight flew off (I have lost 42 pounds since September) and I was never hungry! My milk supply is fine--does not appear to be affected in the least, and I am tandem nursing my 8 month old and my 2 1/2 year old. Trust me, if there was a problem with the milk, the big guy would have let me know.

Now that I am down to 155 and supplementing with solid food, I get 28 points. If I were exclusively BFing, I would get 33. I am guessing you would get about 35 or 36, but I don't know how tall you are.

I feel so much better about myself now that I am back at a healthy weight. There are so many days that my diet is the only thing I do for myself--you deserve it! Go for it! Good luck!

You have to join and do your intake forms and quiz to get the proper and safe points for your personal experience. Please for the sake of safety and better health don't just take what someone else says is the right number.

Hi C., I do weight watchers online. The website provides users a way to indicate that they are breastfeeding. When you register, you enter your height, weight, other information that is needed and whether you are breastfeeding. The software customizes the program for you. The new plan seems to be the most realistic one I've ever encountered. It turns the concept of dieting on its head, instead it promotes healthier eating habits and exercise. Good luck. P.S. I joined a WW group after my daughter was born a decade ago, while still breastfeeding. It worked for me and she and I had a healthy and lengthy nursing relationship-3 1/2 years. WW has been the only way I have ever lost the pounds.

I breastfed all my children(my youngest is now 18). After my second son was born I went to the Weight Watchers program and was able to lose 25 lbs. We didn't have the point system back then but I think the overall program is so good and nutritionally balanced that you shouldn't have a problem. I continued breastfeeding while doing the program and he wasn't affected by it. Hope this helps. You can probably go on their website and find information on breastfeeding, or talk with one of their counselors. By the way, I too am a nurse. Good luck!!

C.,

Be careful. Make sure you are taking (your) supplements. I think you can, you just need to add that extra 500 calories for breastfeeding. Keep your intake regular and healthy (and don't eat 1/2 the batch of cookies like I do!) and I think you will do well. You may not lose anything at first, but rather, redistribute.

Also, don't think to cut down your food as much as you keep your water intake UP, and Exercise. (I know the e-word!) Exercise will help you lose more than anything, and might actually help the breast milk production (don't quote me).

http://breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Hi C..

I did WW while breastfeeding. I'm not sure if it's changed (it was a few years ago), but you got to add 10 points to your day. I'm actually really glad I started while I was breastfeeding because it was easier to ease my way into the program since you're allowed those extra points. I'm not sure if you've done WW before, but 10 points is actually a pretty good amount of food. It didn't affect my milk supply at all. I had great success with the program and would highly recommend it. Good luck!

HI C.,

I am nursing my son and on Weight Watchers as well. When you join they tell you how to figure out how many points you are allowed a day. It differs depending on your current weight, how active you are during day and if you are nursing. It has not affected my milk supply at all. I am allowed to have 27 points a day and I have found the weekly meetings helpful. Good luck.

1 / 3