Resume Advice

I have heard that many people are leaving degrees off of their resume's in order to get a job. Have any of you had to do that? I have a BA in Education but am applying for office jobs. Should I leave the BA off? I also have an AA that I can leave on. What are your thoughts?

It was unanimous, so I left it on my resume. I worked hard and made a lot of sacrifices to earn the degree. My concern was being put in a catagory (a teacher) and not be considered for other things or that employers would expect me to leave if I found something in my field. Thanks again! S.

No, don't leave education off - you worked and earned that degree - you list it...

Yes, there are MANY AA's that have degrees!! just like there are MANY enlisted folks in the military that have advanced degrees and STILL decided to stay enlisted...

KEEP IT!

I would think a BA would be a plus for an office job. I wouldn't leave it off. Perhaps if you were applying to clean offices or load trucks...

I leave my degrees in my Resume.
And my GPA, because it is high.

AND have letters of recommendation, at the ready.
AND References listed in your Resume WITH contact information.
It is a MUST.

You HAVE TO have these components, in your Resume.
I used to work in HR... and it was REAL irritating... when applicants do not have... Letters of Recommendations or References, listed with contact info.
It shows, they do not know how to be professional nor for their Resume.
I would, disregard these, applicants.
They should, know better.

So, if you do not have Letters of Recommendation... then you SHOULD, contact your References, and have them write you a letter AND sign it.
You have to have these, ready.

No, don't leave that BA off. I've found more and more admin asst. jobs require a degree these days. Also, I would think that employers may feel they are getting more of a value in an employee that has a degree.

Keep it on!!! You earned it.

Besides, what if there are opportunities for advancement and you aren't considered because you don't have an advanced degree? Seems absurd that anyone would consider taking any of their qualifications off their resume.

GOOD LUCK!

I would leave it on, especially for an office job.

The theory is, that higher degrees are applying for lower level and lower paying jobs, so hiring managers will overlook their resumes knowing they can't afford them. But, it's gotten to the point that it's common place for people to be taking dives in pay. I know a girl who has a masters degree and she just got a job making $12 an hour as a receptionist.

Lots of great resume and interviewing advice by experts here:
https://www.ldsjobs.org/ers/ct/self-employed.jsf?name=wri...

https://www.ldsjobs.org/ers/ct/job-seeker.jsf?name=the-ca...

Leave it on. It shows that you follow through on goals you set. It also suggests that your oral and written communication skills will be decent. I think that they are often talking about leaving off graduate level and above degrees if you are looking at entry level work outside your expertise. If you had a couple of Masters degrees in business and economics, a law degree or a PhD in education and were looking at receptionist work, an employer might worry that you'd be leaving as soon as anything in "your field" opened up. A BA just makes you look good. :)

1 / 3