Do You Have a College Degree?

I was just curious. Show of hands, how educated is our forum of moms? If you have a college degree and have stayed home to raise your children, do you plan to return to the workforce? How likely is it you will be able to return to the same field or will you need retraining?

That's amazing how many well educated moms we have on here. I especially love those stories of moms still working on it. That gives me a lot of pride in yall. School isn't for everybody and there is absolutely no shame in not going to college. Many successful, happy people found thier joy elsewhere. I loved school and am so glad I had that experiance. I'm thinking I want to change careers in the next 5 yrs, so, I will more than likely go back. I never took time off, but I have taken 5 yrs off my chosen field, (political science) which is what prompted my question about retraining.

I have a bachelors and masters degree in elementary education and taught for 13 years prior to staying home with my kids. I just recently started subbing in a handful of districts in my area to work 4 to 8 days a month. I love it. In fact, unless for some reason I would need the medical benefits, I think I plan to just sub even after my kids start school. All the prep work is done for me. I simply go in and enjoy a class of kids for a day and go home. I can also pick and choose which days I want to work. It's awesome and the pay is excellent too!
A.

I'm 1 year of classes away from my BA... and probably will never complete it. I've always enjoyed college as well as I make good grades without trying hard. But, as a financial decision ( I DON'T do student loans), I won't finish it... a degree doesn't really apply to my married/painter/stay at home mom life anyways, and I could take plenty of jobs if need be that don't require one. My husband makes the money. I'm fine with that:)

Bachelors in Communication - advertising major. Worked many years in Marketing before kids. My kids both started school FT this year and I went back to work PT working for a parenting magazine. I am the circulation director and event planner. So, it is along similar lines of what I have done in the past.

I'm a prosecutor and I got 12 weeks of maternity leave with each of my kids. Howevever, it was mostly unpaid since I got pregnant shortly after starting in my current job. I absolutely love my job and couldn't imagine being a SAHM. I do feel like I miss out on a lot with my kids but I have a wonderful daycare/preschool for them (2 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old) and I believe that I personally am a better mom to my kids since I have a career that I love. I honestly believe that being a SAHM is the hardest job in the world and have so much respect for those that do it. I'm just not wired that way!

I have an AA, a BS, and started on my masters in psychology. I've been through three police academies.

I also have my PHD from the School of Hard Knocks. ;~))

Good luck to you and yours.

I don't have a high school degree or a college degree.

I stopped attending high school classes in the 10th grade. However, through a program in Washington State called Running Start, I was able to complete a few years of community college courses as a teenager.

I toy around with the idea of continuing my formal education and I think I will go back to school at some point. Right now I study on my own, am gaining experiential education from the (volunteer) work I've been doing, have been blessed with many hard and beautiful life lessons, and gain from my experience as a kinship provider and mother.
Anyway, my brain is fed, but I don't have a paper to prove it ;-)

I look forward to joining the workforce (or school) again and will do so when we can afford it (child care is more expensive than any wage I could realistically bring in), and when it seems like a decision that would benefit my family as a whole.

Yup. I have a BA in History and plan to get my masters once kids are in full time school. I really have no desire to work (and luckily don't really need to) but I foresee a lot of volunteering at history museums in my future and that sounds like a lot of fun to me. :)

A.

I have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree and I have spent time working full-time as a veterinarian as well as being a SAHM when I have not been able to work. I am currently doing relief work until the opportunity comes along to work in a practice that I can enjoy being a part of.

Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I love nursing. I miss nursing. I really never intended to stay home, or at least for very long. But once our oldest, now 21, hit school age and I missed every field trip and couldn't even eat lunch with him we made a change.
Now, I've been gone from clinical or floor nursing so long, I'm not sure I can go back. But I've been able to do some contract work within the clinical research and legal industry. I've also done some wellness education. Just anything to keep my nursing brain busy and happy.

1 / 3