Privacy Ideas/neighbors Window Overlooking Our House

Our neighbors window overlooks our whole deck and can see right into our living room when our patio blinds are open. I open these every day to get light in. We have thought about building a trellis thing to block the window but my hubby decided he didn't want to do it. If we planted a bush there it would have to be the tallest bush I've ever seen and very expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas?

For the windows, what about a tinting film?

As for the deck...can you angle an umbrella to give some privacy?

Sorry, that's all I've got--hard to say when you can't really "see" the arrangement!

Hi Cecillia,
How about putting posts in the ground at each corner and then at the top scream in hook. Run really stong wire through then hang outdoor curtains. When you want privacy you could pull them closed plus if you add planters and candles it could really look great!
Best Wishes!

I would plant a tree or make a grape arbor and plant what ever grapes you like.

I like fruiting plants so I would plant a fruit tree, but it would loose its leaves during winter. Plant an evergreen tree or tall bush. Go to a local nursery for suggestions. Home Depot or Lowes would have the best prices.

Good luck to you and yours.

Plant juniper, if your climate tolerates it. Some grow as high as 30 ft. and they make excellent privacy shrubs. They are tall and narrow, esp if pruned.

Could you consider having an awning installed? Their property must be elevated if they can see into your house through the deck railing. They are a little pricey, but the retractable ones are great b/c you can control the exposure.

You could also consider installing "soft blinds" over the patio doors. We have these on our glass sliders onto the deck. They have the "structure" of blinds, but are made of a soft and sheer material. You can "open and close" them like verticle blinds, but they provide complete privacy like sheers when they are "open". We got ours and JC Penney, but wait for a "sale".

My husband and I had that problem with the sunroom in our house. It's almost all windows, and the neighbors can see right in at night. We went to a hardware store and bought privacy paper to put on the windows. It's like a frosted glass tack paper that you can put up, and people can't see in, but light still comes through. We cut it out so it covers almost all of the window, except for a 2 inch border all the way around. We (and our plants) love it!

well, i get your husband's pov. a trellis would look lovely and give you the privacy you want, but it's also a permanent barricade and would interfere with your daytime sunlight.
i can't stand a dark house.
my SIL recently built a big ol' trophy house with southern exposure and huge gorgeous windows, but they're always shuttered and curtained for privacy, which makes me sad. privacy or not, i can't live in gloom.
so i'd go with the tall bush or screening trees. you can get fast-growers, and for me it would be worth the investment to get a mature one to get a jump on it. it's not a perfect solution, but at least it affords you light and privacy both.
khairete

I have seen this film that you put on your windows that allows light in, but all people on the other side see is mirrors or frost or something...

1 / 3