Nicknames for Caroline

Hi there, Mamas! I am pregnant with baby # 2 and if it's a girl, my husband wants the name Caroline. I think the full name is beautiful, but I'm not crazy about the obvious nicknames of Carrie or Cara. We aren't super trendy (our son is Benjamin; we call him Benj. And if my bun in the oven is a boy, we are thinking Miles called Milo.) Are any of you familiar with any other nicknames for Caroline? Imaginative Mamas, please be creative!

Thanks Mamas! Wow you all have such great ideas! We'll know in 10 days what we're having (if my little Bean cooperates:) and then we'll know if Caroline is even an option! I'm sure that if it is a girl and we do name her Caroline, an "organic" nickname will just happen like Amy C. said. Thanks to all of you who responded!
Jackie

Why does she need a nickname? Caroline is a beautiful name on its own :) I think as long as you ae ok with just calling her Caroline, people will get the hint not to use a nick name.

My second son is Andrew, and I do NOT want people calling him Andy. My mom has to call everyone by a nickname, though, so I told her its ok to call him Drew. So if he wants a nickname later down the line, he can be Drew... But I will always call him Andrew :)

Congratulations, by the way :):)

What about Carly? I love that name and I think it is a short form of Caroline, or at least a close enough one. I have only known one Caroline and she preferred to called Caroline, no nickname. I think Benji and Carly would be cute.

Caroline is beautiful on its own...no need for a nickname. If you call her by her full name, others will, too. My daughter has a friend named Caroline, and in their little group of friends, they called each other by their initial. Caroline was CC, my Kate was KK, Emily was EE, etc. But it was ONLY with each other and something they did for fun. When speaking about that child, it was always the full "Caroline".

Congratulations, by the way :):)

Our second daughter is named Mackenzie and my husband wanted to call her Mack....I hated that and thought Kenzie would be better...he hated that. We almost didn't use the name because of the nick name issue. BUT we loved the name and used it anyway....lo and behold...my then two year old daughter tried to say Mackenzie and it came out Kiki....so now we call her Kiki. Nicknames can come from places you never thought they would!

I agree with those who say no nickname is needed. I know a couple of Carolines, and they both go by Caroline.

I'm sure a nickname will present itself to you, maybe from the child herself. My daughter's name is Corinne and when she was about 18 months, she nicknamed herself Kiki. It stuck, and now everyone calls her Kiki (except for her BFF cousin, who calls her "Co"). I always thought I'd call my other daughter (Isabelle) "Belle" but she quickly became "Busy Bee" and now literally everyone calls her "Bee." So - even though you might pick a nickname way in advance, that may not end up being what everyone calls your child! I would just let life happen and see what nickname seems to fit her as she grows up. ;)

Kids have 'nicknames' per if YOU use it or the child.
If a child does not like to have a nickname, that is their choice.

My kids per their names... could be called other things.
But, only my daughters CLOSEST 2 friends, calls her a 'nickname.' Other tthan that, no one calls my daughter a nickname... because she tells them what her name is. Not what a nickname would be, for her.

I don't know why, nicknames are mandatory?
Not all people or kids, have nicknames.
It is per the person.
Me... I don't like my name shortened. Ugh. So I tell people.

I knew a Caroline. Its a pretty name.
NO ONE called her by a nickname or by anything shortened per her name. Everyone, called her Caroline. Which is what she expected.

I like Linnie/Linny

If you son can't say her name when she is born then you'll all end up calling her Sissy anyway!!! My DD is almost 7 and we still will call her Sissy or Sis. Her name is Sierra and my son who was 2 when she was born couldn't say it, so he started calling her Sissy and now everyone does from time to time - even her uncle!

1 / 3