My Son Is 3 Months Old He Has Not Received His s.s. Card or Birth Certificate!

My son is 3 months old, he has not received his birth certificate or social security card yet! What do I do? I called the s.s. office & they told me I needed his birth certificate & a picture id ( hes 3 months WHAT???). I am furious, what did my hospital lose the info & not send it or something? HELP!!!! I need to get him a passport so we can go see my grandparents in Canada so they can meet him! Any advice???

I did fill out all the paperwork at the hospital, they were going to mail everything to me. I will try to call the hospital Monday & see what to do next! I did it all with my 3 yr. old & got everything no problem! I don't know, so much run around for something a government agency should of done right the first time!!! =0)

I don't know how it is there, but in MD you have to buy the birth certificate - they don't just send it to you. The hospital should have registered his birth and you should have received the ss card and birth registration in the mail within a few wks.

BTW, you don't need his SS card for he passport - just his birth certificate

You have to order the birth certificate from the county recorder in the county he was born in. I think it's a total rip to charge people for a FIRST birth certificate but I had to buy my daughter's birth certificate from Arizona (it was like $10).
Arizona didn't send me a dern thing in the mail, wish they did. They didn't even tell me I had to buy the B Certificate, I found out on my own.

Dear C.,
I work at a hospital and do all the birth certificates.
In California, all the births are actually registered through the Department of Public Health, Vital Statistics.
Birth certificates don't come in the mail. You have to go and show your own photo I.D. and purchase a certified copy. In my county, it's $15.
Many parents don't understand that the little complimentary birth certificates the hospital gives you aren't legal documents.
Many parents also think that filling out the birth certificate "worksheet" is all they need to do.
When we have babies born and discharged over the weekend, I receive their medical charts and contact the parents so they can come back in, review and sign the birth certificate. Then, I forward them to the Dept. of Public Health.
I hate to say it, but you'd be surprised how many parents can't be contacted, never call or even inquire. It makes it really difficult because the birth has to be registered, with or without a name. We have to submit birth certificates within 10 days. That can often be stretched a little bit if the parents are in touch with us and are really having a hard time actually deciding on the name or something, but births are supposed to be registered in a pretty timely fashion.
Also, in California, parents have the option of applying for the social security number through the birth certificate process. 99% of parents do it that way. If they do, the social security card automatically comes in the mail. However, again, the birth certificates never do.
I would contact the medical records department of the hospital your baby was born in so they can research it for you. Ask them who to call in your county. I work very closely with the registrar and there are ways to expedite things as far as registering the birth. You can also get a discharge summary from your baby's hospital records as secondary proof the child was born in such and such hospital as far as getting the social.
Start with your hospital. Understand that you will need to go in person to get the birth certificate. If you've been waiting for it to show up, it doesn't work that way.
When all goes as it should, birth certificates are available within 14 days of the birth and the social security card arrives by mail 3-4 weeks later.

Your baby's birth certificate might be done and you just need to go get it then take it in to social security.
You'll get it worked out.
I wish I was closer. I'd know exactly who to have you call.

Best wishes and let me know how it goes.

Here is what you need to do the Birth Certificate doesn't get mailed to you the SS card does (in my state)you'll have to go to the Vital Statics building take your photo ID let them know you need a birth certificate give full name they will verify their records & offer you choices on how many & sizes then you'll have a chance to look over the information then they will give you your sons B.C.I received my kids SS cards about 3 weeks after they were born,they may have lost the information,back logged,or it's still being processed through the system.I wouldn't call the hospital yet unless there is no birth record,then proceed.

Yes, first get his birth certificate. There is a website on line, can't remember the name of it that is legit and will get you the paperwork, that you can fill out on line, then it sends it to your state's office and they will send you the birth certificate in like 2 weeks or something. You can put a rush on it if necessary. In my state we have to go to the capitol to get the birth certificates (originally) and this was better than driving there in person. Once you have that then you can get him his social security card, and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that you did need that to get the passport. There was a paper you should have filled out in the hospital to get this. As someone else mentioned if you didn't check the box maybe they didn't process it for you. I would look up on line with SS and see what steps need to be taken. Call the hospital if necessary too.

In Illinois you go the county recorder to get it. I believe I had to show an id, but I did not bring any paperwork. I would call ahead and find out what your county requires.

I the SS Office told you that you needed to bring the birth certificate and picture id, then the person you spoke to must have misunderstood. (Granted my youngest is 2 years old, but I don't think that much as changed.) I think it took a couple of months to get his SS Card. See if you can find the phone number for a local office. You could even try calling the hospital where he was born and ask them what to do. You wouldn't be the first person to do that.

Call the hospital and look into it. When my DD was born, they provided me with all the paperwork we needed, we filled it all out before we were discharged, and that was that. The birth certificate and SS card came in the mail within 10 days. The county/city/town office where he was born might be able to assist you as well.

the s.s. card should coem soon. Perhaps they hospital has to send the information again? The birth certificate may have to be picked up at town hall. That is where we have to get ours. See if the town hall has the birth certificate and go pick it up.

1 / 3