My 3 Month Old Has Rough, Dry, Red, Flaky Skin That I Can't Cure!

I have a 3 month old with very VERY dry skin. He may also have a touch of Eczema, but I really think it is mostly chaffed skin. His skin is rough and flaky with tiny bumps in some spots. The worst areas are on his trunk, arms, and face. His whole trunk is basically flaking. I have cut back on the bathing to every other day and only use lukewarm water. I also use baby oil and immediately apply a very greasy over-the-counter eczema cream as soon as I dry him. His rash was worsened when I took him walking with me outside -- so I have cut that out too.

I use mild Johnson and Johnson soap only on his genital areas and hands...I keep the soap off the dry areas. I have also tried the Johnson and Johnson baby lotion. I love the way it smells, but unfortunately it has not helped.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or products I can try???

~M.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I took Ben to the pediatrician and he agreed with me that it was dry skin with a little irritation from scented products. He didn't feel like he had Eczema. Really, his skin looked great by the time I went to the doctor because of some things I did once I read everyone's suggestions.

I stopped using "baby" soaps and lotions and switched Ben to the Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented bar. I also just bathe him every other day. I started coating him in unscented Cetaphil lotion after his bath. I noticed a difference the next day! I would say his condition has resolved.

Thanks again for all your tips!

Like several other people stated, the Eucerin lotion and oatmeal cleansers worked the best for my daughter. (No lotions and/or shampoos with fragrance in them.) My daughter had mild eczema when she was a baby (she's 5 yrs old now) and using the Eucerin really helped her skin. There's also a spray Eucerin makes that is for dry, itcy skin - that REALLY helped her!! And we were also told to use cooler water, with not much warmth to it. Good luck!!

Hey M.
My son had similar symptomes and my Doc recomended I use Dove sensitive skin and Eucerin cream. When it was really bad he prescribed a lotion and once it settled I continued with the above. He is 16 months now and the rash hasn't come back except for a few patches very rarely.

Try just plain old Vaseline...my son had the same problem and that was the only thing that worked...i probably wasted so much money on all the "creams" out there.

Use Dove soap because it has moisturizer in it and Jergens Ultra healing and Cortizone 10 maximum strength. Apply to his body in this order. I also saw SARNA advertised I've been meaning to try this to see how it works but I haven't yet. If these treatments don't work see a doctor.

Make sure you wash his clothes in the baby detergents only. I found that the regular detergents that adults used made my daughter's skin worse.

I hope some of these work. Good luck.

Hey M.

Hi M., my daughter had skin problems when she was an infant as well. Her pediatrician recommended that I use soap alternatives such as the Cetaphil bar (on her hair too) and Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. I remember smoothing it on her entire little body during her diaper changes. I eventually had to cut back to giving her only three baths a week to prevent the water from irritating her sensitive skin. It sounds disgusting, but babies that young don't need a daily bath. Her pediatritian also prescribed Elidel and that really helped as well. I hope this information has helped. Good luck to you and your baby.

Dear M.,

I'm sorry for your baby's trouble! First, if he goes into full-scale Eczema, I encourage you to seek out a homeopath. My friends went through so much using traditional medicine for their baby's eczema. When they switched to a homeopathic approach, the results were much better. They found, too, that it was very important in their case for the mother to continue breastfeeding him until he was at least two, and she was on a restricted diet. This was so crucial for their baby.

For now, I encourage you to switch to all natural products with him. Even store bought "baby products" are full of unnatural things. I have specifically heard how wonderful Burt's Bee's Apricot Oil is for eczema. We carry it at our warehouse here in Houston - www.NurturedFamily.com - but Burt's Bee's is so common everywhere now, I wonder if you could even find it at your local Walgreen's. In fact, check out their Baby Bee Getting Started Kit. It's only $12.75 and it contains the Apricot Oil, plus the natural soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. Even those small sizes will last you a while.

Getting Started Kit - http://www.nurturedfamily.com/detail.aspx?ID=70
Apricot Baby Oil - http://www.nurturedfamily.com/detail.aspx?ID=71

Also, here's another great site for natural products. Check out their soaps & lotions - the ingredients are amazing.

Soaps - http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/naturalsoaps.htm
Creams - http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/skincare.htm#Moisturizi...

If you're breastfeeding, try rubbing the breastmilk into his skin. That may work wonders, with all of its natural healing properties. I hope you find just the right thing!

Blessings,
R.

Supporting you as you nurture your family.
www.NurturedFamily.com

eucerin is great for dry skin, my 5 mo old has been using it for months now. He has it very bad (eczema). Stop using scented lotion, eventhough it smells good, it hurts the skin. Ya just gotta face it, he wont be able to use scented lotions or soap. My dr said to keep my son son moisterized at all times. I use the eucerin and aveeno baby, it has oatmeal and it is unscented. when it is really bad, i sometimes bathe him in aveeno bath, it sooths his skin. He also has it in his scalp, now that is horrible, in that case i use lotion in his scalp. As far as the baby oil, put a little in the tub when you bathe him, not after, then lotion his whole body down to lock in moisture. It works. I have also been told to use cetaphil (eventhough it is a face soap), it holds tha moisture in the skin also, and IT SMELLS GOOD. At first it will be hard, but it will get better, i know.....And my dr also said that the good news is that the worst that they have it when their young, the better it is when their older. So, good luck, and trust me it will all get better.

I will keep this short since you have already had a lot of advice so far. My son has the same thing and it is eczema. My doctor said to ONLY use white Dove, no fragrence bars of soap on him and it has helped a lot. Just an FYI.

for my daughter and my son when the got a rash on there but's I would put ARGO PURE CORN STARCH on there but's. My son loved to put his hand down there and get it on his hand and eat it. LOL. I got to where I would just put some on his hand and then put it no his but. I don't know if you have asked the doctors about this or if the corn starch will work but it durn shure won't hurt him in any way. put it all over him if you like.
My name is S. and my e-mail address in ____@____.com let me know if it works. like I said it worked on my baby's but's.

1 / 3