Seeking Help with Eczema

I have two children ages 1 and 2 that I believe have eczema. My daughter had it when she was a new born, but has gone away for almost two years until just a couple of weeks ago. She is spending a lot of time scratching her self all over and her skin feels very rough. Similar to how it felt when she had eczema as a baby. My son is not scratching, but has the same rough skin. I would like to do what I can at home to help with this before I take them to the doctor. I would like to avoid having them on a prescription lotion if possible. I have read that I should limit there baths, as they now get a bath every night. I am at battle with their father because he believes they do not need bath every night. Turns out he might be right. Baby Aveeno body wash and lotion for Eczema used to work very well for my daughter when she was a baby. Is there any other helpful advice that anyone can give me? I would appreciate any other information.

My 10 month old son has Eczema. His Pediatrician said we should bathe him every other day and apply Eucerin Original Creme (not lotion) to his skin daily. The Creme is very thick and needs to be worked into the skin, but it has helped.

Best of luck to you!

I have used the Cetaphil for about a year on my 7yr old and it works great. If you have the ability to do so apply the lotion very liberally 3X a day for 1 week and then go to 1X a day or as needed. Do this ecspecially when it breaks out really bad. Use the bath soup/bar soups as well, they really do work. My sons takes more showers now as he is getting older but when he took mostly baths and would do so M,W, & F unless of coarse he got really stinky dirty from being outside or in an outside sport/activity. Good luck to you!

Hi J.! My son also has eczema and I use Dove soap for his baths, and His doctor told me to use Eucerin on him twice a day so I put it on him in the morning and also at night. I cannot bath him everyday or even every other day at times because that will cause it to flare. I also use aquafor at times. Different things work for different people but Dove and Eucerin works for him!.

All 3 of my kids suffer from Eczema, they got it from me. My doctor suggested Vanicream and it has been great. You have to get it from the Pharmacist but it is not a prescription. Make sure they give you the lotion and not the sunscreen, although you may want the sunscreen for summer. We still use a prescription steriod when it gets really bad but the Vanicream has worked so well that we don't have to use the prescription that often. We tried Eucerin and Cetaphyl and the Vanicream works the best so far.

Best of luck to you!

Eczema is typically a sign of a secondary food allergy, just a way for the body to react what is going on internally. Typically dairy or nuts/peanuts are the culprit, dairy is the number one reason. I have had several friends that eliminated dairy and the eczema went away. They bathed their kids in either baking soda or California Baby products every other day. The other thing is you may want to get a shower filter that filters our chlorine as that may make the condition worse. Stay away from products that has mineral oil as that clogs up the pores not allowing the skin to breathe. When you are do bathing, pat dry, to do not rub dry. You can use CA Baby lotions too and buy them at Target or Whole Foods. "Is This Your Child?" By Dr. Dorris Rapp, www.drrapp.com discusses food allergies and eczema in her book, it is a great book to have on your bookshelf. She is also on YouTube back in the old days of Oprah.

Good Luck,
J. W. MPH
Wellness Educator

We had this problem with both of our kids. The doctor recommended putting hydrocortizone on the rough patches and then Aquapore all over. The only lotion we are able to use on our daughter is Aquapore. Since we started doing this their skin feels so much better. Haven't had any problems since doing this.

I don't know if you heard about Renew Lotion from Melaleuca. This lotion works miracles. It's great for eczema, dry skin, sensitive skin, psoriasis and rosacea. Let me know if you have anymore questions about it, but I helped so many moms with it. Everybody likes it so much because is a natural way comparing to what doctors will give you.

I've been recently introduced to Homeopathy and have been very impressed with treating my family for colds, insect bites, etc. naturally.

My friend treated two of her children by seeing a Doctor of Homeopathy (Dr. Polich) with 100% success. Please see the newsletter and photos. Dr. Polich's website is www.dupagehomepathic.com and is in Naperville.

http://www.dupagehomeopathic.com/newsletters/eczema.pdf

I'd give this a try!

I saw an earlier response about Renew. It's amazing and works great. It's sold by a company called Melaluca. It's so worth a try.

My son had very bad eczema as an infant and up until about 1 1/2 years old. He had bad food allergies that we found out about then. Ever since we eliminated his allergens from his diet, his skin has cleared up completely. We did use Aquaphor and lotion to help before he was tested, but he always seemed to have a couple of patches that would not go away. But after he stopped eating the things he was allergic to, it all went away. I don't know if your kids have shown any tendencies towards food allergies. Best of luck.

1 / 3