Keeping Brown Sugar Fresh

I always seem to have trouble keeping my brown sugar fresh and soft. It seems that every time I go to use it, it is hard as a rock:( I keep the bag wrapped up and closed with a rubber band and then place that in a large zip lock bag, but it isn't working. Any suggestions?

A lot of you are suggesting using a piece of bread. This sounds really easy because I always have bread in the house. However, doesn't the bread get moldy????

Put a slice of bread in the bag with the sugar and close it with the rubber band. I've been doing this for years and it always works--even with sugar that has already hardened. It will soften in a couple days!

I keep mine in a tupperware - still keeping it in the bag also... haven't had a problem since I started doing this! I love it!

It is similar to a cereal keeper - it has a lid within a lid - well, I guess any tupperware would do the same thing. ;)

The bread doesn't get moldy at all! I always toss the heel of a loaf of bread in with the brown sugar, and that way I don't waste anything.

If you put a slice of bread in the bag with the brown sugar, it will stay soft. Enjoy

put it in a ziploc bag with a iece of bread, stays fresh forever!!!

Hi! The best way I have found is to put a piece of bread in the bag and seal the bag up. The bread absorbs the moisture keeping the brown sugar nice and moist and fresh! Depending on how long you keep the brown sugar, you may need to throw out the hard bread and replace it. I just tear off a piece of the heal of the bread.

I keep all of my baking supplies (flour, sugar, brown sugar, etc.) in Tupperware Modular Mates. They're awesome. Actually, I have them for cereal too. Anyway, my brown sugar is always as soft as the day I bought it.

And, no, I am not, nor have I ever been a Tupperware Salesperson. :)

I have found that you can place a piece of white bread in the package (also, true for white sugars) and it stays moist and sweet smelling...when the bread becomes hard.........I replace it, it has always worked wonders for me.........this will work with cookies in a cookie jar or cakes in a cake plate, as well...my mother shared that secret with me, many moons ago, and now she is gone, and I have to smile each time I place a piece of bread into an item that is hardening.........

U.

Hi D. -

I bought a ceramic or clay disk that you soak in water then dry the excess water off and put in the bag with the brown sugar. Since I have used it I have had fresh soft brown sugar. I occasiaonlly have to resoak the disc (1-2 times per year). This is low maintenance and works well. I think I ordered it from a cataloge but I have seen it at places like Linens and things or Bed, Bath and Beyond!

I keep mine in the freezer in a zip lock bag. It only takes a few minutes to defrost to a nice soft texture. I hope that helps!

1 / 3