Keeping Apples Slices from Browning

I wanted to know if anyone knew how to keep apple slices from getting brown. My son loves apples and I would like to send them to school with him for snack. I have to slice them so they are easier for him to eat but by the time snack time rolls around the apple slices have that brown layer on them and my son won't eat them.

Dip them in sprite, 7-up or any other citrus-flavored carbonated drink. It does the trick, just like lemon juice, without the strong taste. Works wonders!

Haven't tried it yet myself, but my friend said that you use an apple slicer, and barely leave the pieces attached to the core at the bottom, then you can wrap the apple in plastic wrap and keep it all together as if it weren't cut and it won't brown. When he unwraps it, he can just pull the pieces right off.

Buy the real lemon juice in the little bottle shaped like a lemon. Squeeze a little into the bag and mix it around. My daughter loves them too!

I've heard that lemon juice keeps them from browning.

I'm new to this Mamasource thing; but if no one's shared this with you yet, fresh lemon juice is pretty good at stalling that browning effect that oxidation has on apples, pears, avocados, etc. Bottled lemon juice probably doesn't work; and besides, they have to put preservatives in it to keep it from oxidizing; so that can't be good for us.

Lemon juice does work. Pineapple juice also works! :)

spritz the apple slices w/diluted lemon juice to keep them from browning.

My kids love apple slices too. I use a water and lemon juice mixture to keep them fresh while sliced. The acid in the lemon juice coats the apple slices and keeps them from turning brown. I take a cup of water and a teaspoon of lemon juice and mix together. I soak the apple slices in the solution for about three to five minutes, and lay them on a paper towel to dry. I store them in a zip lock bag. Most of the time my kids do not notice a lemon taste, but if your son does, I'm sure you can reduce the lemon juice and it would still work or increase it if you still have browning.

1 / 3