Home Remedy for 15-Month-old Coughing (Phlegm)

Hi Moms,

My 15-month-old baby has been miserable for the past two days because she has phlegm and can't spit it out! I've been giving her children's tylenol but it seems to only relieve her temporarily. She's warm but not feverish hot. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been giving her vegetable soup, carrot juice, water & rice milk with mixed grain cereal. HELP!!!

Good old Vicks VapoRub does wonders. Rub a small amount on her chest, a good amount on her back before dressing her and then a generous amount onto the bottoms of her feet before putting her socks on. It does wonders for a wee one's cough!
D. N.

Do not give her any rice or milk that is the reason why she can not get rid of that have phelgm.

When a child have have phelm on their chest, you can not use home remdeies. She has to go to the doctor for antibotics. Because she can develop bronchitis

Use a warm mist vaporizer or humidifier, & Vicks Vaporub on the chest area. This is how I treated my girls, now 3 & 6. Also, try to cut out any milk or dairy. That will only make the problems worse. Only use the Tylenol if the baby has a fever. Other than that, More cuddle time & relaxing will help.

chicken soup-it's good also for a 15 mo old as it has vits & minerals.
Try probiotics for infants powdered formula added to her food to help her gfight the cold if thats what she has. I use homeopathic medicine as its all natural and little ones heal so much better w/ natural remedies. Pulsatilla is good for ear infections & discolored (yellow or green mucous). There's also coldcalm and other remedies be Bioron.

This is going to sound crazy, but my sister does swear by it, and uses it on her kids -

slice an onion (white) very thinly, place in a bowl or glass jar and sprinkle with sugar. The sugar will draw moisture out of the onion - that syrup is an exellent remedy for phlegm. The onion will keep, covered in the fridge, for 3-5 days. Because it's just onion and sugar, the only side effect is some funky I-just-ate-Italian breath.

Good luck!!

C. M, I had the similar situaton with my son who now is 15 months and it happened when he was bout 13-14months. What my husband said for us to do to flush his system out especially the mucous, we gave him juicy juice and some orange juice constantly and gave him apple sauce and gave him oatmeal. We get regular dry oatmeal and cook it and made sure I made it really soft almost watery enough for him to get it down. If I didn't, it'll be hard to swallow if thick. I had leftovers since I made a lot because he is a big eater and it'll be ready for his next meal. I refrigerated the oatmeal and when I took it out, I added water in it to loosen it up and warmed it up in microwave in microwavable bowl and made sure the oatmeal was very soft to go down. Also, the nurse at the pediatrician's office said to give smaller portions more frequently so my son wouldn't throw it up and that was how I knew he had mucous. You really don't want to give tylenol because it's not going to help the mucous. Vegetable soup sounds good. But, my husband was saying you want to flush his system out and yeah alot of bowel movements but get the junk of their system is what you'd want. I hope this helped and any more questions just ask....you're a great mother!!!

D. N.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I just read about people who have sworn that putting vicks on their childs feet and cover with socks at night before they put them to bed works like a charm. I guess it can't hurt to try since vicks is totally safe on the chest. Good Luck!!

When my son had whooping cough I had to suction the mucus out of his throat/mouth with an aspirator. Other than that it was removed through a nasal-gastric tube while hospitalized.

Can she spit it out? Perhaps her pediatrician can recommend an expectorate that will thin the mucus such as robitussin.

Continue with lots of clear fluids - broth, popsicles, water. Orange juice always clears mine up.

Try and get a cool mist humidifier and use with vicks plug-ins.

Stay strong, she'll be better soon.

Get the Vick's vaporizer. It costs about $25 and the oil is about $10. I got this about a year ago and I wish I had bought it sooner, IT IS A LIFESAVER. I put it in my room when I am sick. It helps so much!!! I hope she feels better quick.

1 / 3