Natural Remedies for Cough/congestion??

What do you do for a child who has congestion...how do you get that congestion moving out??? I have a 10 month old and a 3 year old and that junk is in there just not moving very much. They both feel fine...well, the little one has a slight fever as of this morning. He had a hoarse cough starting this early morning. They aren't miserable-I am!! Seeing them sick.

Anyone have any 'natural' remedies I can try to get that stuff moving? Or do I just leave it alone and let it work itself out?

Thank you to all of you that responded! I ended up doing the steam room. My daughter sorta freaked out after a while because she was so hot. Fifteen minutes was plenty! Did that once. Then I've just been doing the eucalyptus oil in some olive oil-both my kids had a skin reaction with the vicks. So I've been rubbing them down with that and it helps. Took them to the doctor yesterday just to be sure and everything checks out okay they just have congestion, no wheezing, ears are clear so it's just a waiting game until all that comes out. Doctor said to give mucinex to my 3 year old but the little one couldn't take anything. Fortunately they both are active and feel fine...little rascals!

Hot (or warm!) green tea with honey and lemon. My boys both have allergies and it helps clear them up really fast. Also, if it is allergies, use local honey! It helps to clear the allergies out a little.

I always use vapor rub on chest and feet as my doctor recommended. Also, Saline drops in the nose help since the cough might be coming from drainage. Good luck & Hang in there!

Hi S.!

I used saline drops and a cold water humidifier for my 8 month old son when he was congested last month. He did very well using both.

one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon powder daily for three days
this process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and clear the sinuses

We used to use a humidifier for infants. We would but vicks vapor rub on their chest. But if you are worried about something that old fashioned, you may want to try this website.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Natural-Cough-Remedies-For-Babi...

Lots of fluids, not too much dairy, will also help get rid of some of the mucus production.

Vicks on the bottoms of the feet and then put on socks is a big, big helper. For the 3 year old, you can try a Neti pot. I used one on my son starting at 3, so it's worth a try. Use non-iodized salt and warm water in it to flush out the nasal and sinus passages. For the baby, use saline spray to keep the nasal passages wet so that the mucous is able to move when it is ready to do so. I use an herbal cough expectorant called Naturade Herbal Expec. It contains guaifenesan (what's in Mucinex) and herbs and thins the mucous so that it can move out. I started using it on my youngest when he was 8 months old, at half of the dosage with my doctor's okay. I also use a couple of homeopathic rememdies made by NatraBio...."children's allergy" or "children's cold/flu". (Get the Neti pot, expectorant and homeopathic remedies at Whole Foods or your local health food store. Whole Foods will order any of these if they don't have them in stock.) The combo of Vicks on the feet, saline up the nose (either using Simply Saline spray or a Neti pot), the expectorant, and the homeopathic remedy do wonders for my two boys, now ages 5yrs and 2 yrs.

Also, take your kids to a pediatric trained chiropractor. I have been completely shocked at how this has helped my boys! Every time we have any congestion, we go to the chiro for an adjustment, and the mucous is moving rapidly out of them by the time we make it home after the adjustment. The effects of the adjustment on the respiratory system is just plain gross and amazing.

Last thing, adjust their diets and completely avoid the following: (These foods increase the histamine response in the body, which affects mucous production. The list is in order of biggest response to the lowest histamine response.)

shellfish, fish, cheese, cow's milk, pig products, other cow products (such as beef and yogurt), fowl (turkey, chicken, etc.), eggs, lamb, soy, and oats.

My boys eat alot of applesauce, crackers, pb&j, baked french fries, and fruit smoothies using fruit juices and fruits when they are sick. I wish I could get veggies in them in regular form, but I can't, so sometimes they make it in unnoticed in a smoothie!

I have kept my formerly asthmatic 5 year old child off of drugs and my ear-infection prone younger child off of drugs using all of these methods I've told you about, which has been very surprising to me. No need for breathing treatments for the past 2 1/2 years for my 5 year old, and never a single prescription med for my 2 1/2 year old.

Best of luck to you!

I personally like the homeopathic remedies, they are very effective with kids. You can get them at Whole foods Market.

And for cleaning the nose and congestion you can get a spray called Baby Simply Saline at any store (Walgreens, Krogers, etc) for the spray you will have to buy one for each kid, is not to share.

Other option is the "little noses" saline spray/drops, also at any store and it is the same just without the pressure.

Vicks, humid air, fluids...Eucalyptus Oil mixed with a bit of water on a rag over nose (works like vicks) or mixed in pot on stove for humidity. (It needs to be mixed with something and not direct contact to skin.)

Let them hang out in the bathroom for a little while with a hot shower running to clear things out. Use saline nasal drops to clear the nose and moisturize (I like Little Noses brand.)

Put a rolled up towel or thin blanket under the head of their mattresses to prop their heads up a little at night and help things drain.

You can use a cool mist humidifier too, but I never found them to be very useful. Also be sure that they are getting plenty of fluids during the day to keep hydrated and thin the mucous (especially if there is any fever involved.)

-N.

S.,
email me and I can send you info about xanthones that work very well. I have an article of MRSA and how these help.

tecuento123 at yahoo

I live in RR.

Oly

Vick's on the bottom of the feet with socks is great. Always did it with mine when they were babies. SO much better than giving them some medicine to swallow I found. Good luck.

1 / 3