Soothing a Cough

My daughters have had several colds this winter, but their latest one is lingering in the form of a nasty cough. My elder daughter is almost 3 and she will cough so hard that she gags. This is making her very cranky during the day and wakes her up three or four times a night. I am just wondering if anyone has suggestions for soothing her cough.

So I tried the Vicks remedy and after a little bit she did sleep much better. She slept all night long with out waking, which is the first night in three. Everyone in my house thanks you all for your advice and the extra sleep that we all got.
We have also gotten a humidifier and will hook that up tonight. This should help a lot as we live in the mountains of Colorado. I am going to look into the herbal remedies for my whole family.

There is a homeopathic product called bronchial sooth you could try. Lozenges with zinc are good. Drinking tea with honey and lemon also helps.
Stephanie

My doctor told me after my son was a year old, I could give him a teaspoon of honey a couple times a day and it would soothe his cough. The raw unfiltered kind would be the best. Definately helped my son.

My son (20 mos.) also has had a nasty cough going on 3 weeks now. His drs. office said that it is typically lasting two to three weeks. All you can really do is use a humidifier at night, elevate the mattress, if they will drink something warm like herbal tea with honey or lemon water with honey give them that. I am also taking him in the shower with me every night to steam him. Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do. Good luck and hope this helps!
A. M

I have just read a article that says that a teaspoon of honey can help more than most over the counter cough syurps. Of course this applies only to children over 12 months which is your daughter. I tried it with my 2 year old and it did seem to help her and it was easier to get her to take it :)

A.

Our doctor always suggested letting them suck on lollipops...you can find some with little sugar if that is a concern of yours. It coats their throats so it can heal quicker.

At night, and during the day, rub vicks vapor rub on the bottom of their feet along with the chest, back and neck areas.

I had croup a lot as a child, and my mother used to use the following method to help me. I have also used it on my own boys, and it helps the cough like you wouldn't believe! Use a humidifier in the child's room at night, with 1 tablespoon of vodka, even the cheapest works, diluted in a large amount of water in the humidifier. Then, crack the bedroom window about an inch for the whole evening. The next day the cough will be either completely gone or greatly reduced. I hope it helps!

My ped. suggests herbs (specifically horehound which is cough and lung support, there is cherry bark too which is cough and throat support.)Again you have to be careful if she is taking something else, especially dealing with herbs. My daughter had a cough and it was very short lived because I used horehound for three days. You can get these at Vitamin Cottage, and look for kid herbs. I hope it helps.

S.,

I have two suggestions. My mom used to give me tablespoons of peppermint schnapps. The alcohol in it suppresses the cough. Another option (which I recommend more) is cayenne pepper. For an adult, I put about 1/2 tsp in 4 oz. of water (any temperature). I would dilute it a little more for a little one. Swish it around and swallow. It warms your throat all the way down and you can feel it in your chest. The best thing is that the warm sensation lasts. Also, the cayenne pepper is natural!

I just read an article that suggested dark honey. I don't remember what kind. It worked better in the study than cough syrup and had no side effects. We haven't tried it yet since we haven't had a cough. It did sound to me like the honey was something you'd get from the health food store. I'm sorry I don't remember who did the study or article and I can't seem to find it now. It was on the internet. GL Hope you all get better soon.

I haven't tried it on kids, and with the warnings lately you might ask the doctor first but for me Mucinex seems to break it up well. I usually get bronchitus a couple times a year and so far this is working for me, I just take it (even just once) when I start the cough and it breaks things up.

1 / 3