Natural Remedy for Coughing Toddler?

Hi everyone,
My 20 month old daughter woke up with a bad cough this morning. Since she isn't 2 yet, I cannot giver her any cough medicine (doctor's orders). Does anyone know of any safe, natural ways to relieve her discomfort a bit?

Wow! Thanks so much to everyone for all the great responses!
I also talked to my mom last night and she recommended honey in warm water - so I did that before bed and my daughter slept pretty well except for one coughing fit that lasted almost an hour, but then finally it passed and she slept all night without coughing again! I had also put a pillow under her mattress and I think that helped too. I am going to buy some baby vicks rub today and I'll try that tonight if she has another random coughing fit. Thanks everyone!!
PS- I know some people said to wait until age 2 to give honey, but I checked the little "FAQ booklet" that our pediatrician gave us and it said Honey is ok after 12 months - also the honey bottle itself said "do not feed do infants under 12 months". So I took my chances based on that info...
:)

My sister just told me her doctor said there was a study done that said a teaspoon of honey helps with a night time cough as much as a teaspoon of cough syrup. The Dr. said as long as they are one, she would recommend honey.

My children's pediatrician just suggested that I give my 3-year-old daughter a teaspoon of honey to calm her cough. Even though she is old enough for cough mediciine, the dr. said it really does little to help a cough and honey can do as much or more good. We have done it for a few nights now and it seems to be working great!

I haven't tried it but I just received an email from a friend with a two year old. The little girl had a terrible cough that was helped by putting good old Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of her feet, then socks. Apparently it really helped diminish the night time coughing.

When my son got his first cold at 11 months, the nurse help-line I called recommended warming apple juice as a cough suppressant. I didn't try it because he never developed a cough, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Honey.

By this age, it should not be a problem.
Honey is a natural cough relief. Just a teaspoon or so.

If you want to make doubly sure, just research it online... that is how I learned of it.

Here are some links:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ColdFlu/story?id=3947988&amp...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90594.php
http://specialchildren.about.com/b/2007/12/05/honey-quiet...

Take care,
Susan

Tea with honey and lemon works great over here. I thought honey was OK past the age of 1 but if it isn't then agave nectar may work just as well (which is what we use most of the time anyway).

**added later: I've actually had a nagging cough for about 9 weeks now. It comes and goes and doesn't seem that serious but I probably should go to the dr. Anyway, I just wanted to say last night was really bad - laying down is the worst! So, I heated up some water and added to it honey and lemon. Drank that, propped up my pillows and turned on my cool mist humidifier. Not sure what did the trick - maybe a combo of all but I did not cough the rest of the night and slept great. Finally!

Best wishes,

I have a humidifier that has a spout to pour in the vicks liquid, so as the room heats up with some steam, you can smell the vicks and I do believe that it makes a lot of difference. My daughter coughed a lot one night, the next night when I used the humidifier, she was quiet all night. I think we spent around 20-25 at Target for it.

I use a mild warm tea, like mint or peppermint and add some honey. works great. the warm liquid does some sort of calming thing and the honey soothes the thoat. It may be irritation though from a nasal drip. So if you dry up the nasal passage tha would probably stop the irritation which would then stop the cough. but for sure try the honey. Good luck

Honey. Teaspoon right before bed. Teaspoon again when she wakes up.

1 / 3