Grandparents Raising Grandkids

I was just curious if there were any other grandparents raising their grandkids on this site? Perhaps even older parents that might have similar problems to a gparent in raising a young child.

Thank you all for so much for your responses!! BTW, some of you aksed how old I am....55. I to have made friends with other much younger mother's, and she has playdates and friends over as well. As I said to some of you, sometimes since I am single it just gets overwhelming. Even though, invited out I don't like being the older, fifth wheel in the group, and on the flip side of that, there are a few people that will call and ask if their child can come over, I assume they think, bc I am single I have nothing better to do than "sit" for their kids. Don't get me wrong, my gdaughter enjoys company and it is fun for her but not always for me, however, I think that is the case no matter what age you are. Anyway, I sometimes just need to have my little private "pity party" and then I get over it. I can't imagine how empty my life would be without my "child", she is a joy and a delight. I am overwhelmed by the out pouring of concern and advice and will be contacting those of you that sent me you email addresses. I also really appreciate hearing from people that were raised by their gparents, it meant a lot to me to hear that it was a good experience.
Thanks again to everyone,
G.

I am a grandparent raising a grandson. He is now 15 and we have had him since he was 2 months. I am 57 and my husband is 54. We are both on disability and it has been getting really tough.her is my email if you would like to talk ____@____.com

Hello ~

I'm a grandmother who has the pleasure of being with my 4yr old grandson often. I do know a grandmother who shares your situation whom I think you'd enjoy meeting. Her name is Dede and she owns Bark Avenue (pet supplies) on Public Road in Lafayette ###-###-####.
If it's appealing to you we could meet at a park where both kids could play while we just talk!

J. (rhymes with family) Dart ###-###-####

It sounds like you could need a friend and support group. You did not say how old you are. I know other people in simular situations. It is not easy to always find people who understand.
Have you tried a rec center for exercise and many people just go to meet other people. You can always be a room mom and go on field trips.
If I think of anything else I will write again.
C. B

Where are you located? Here in Idaho Falls we have a GRG monthly support group meeting at Eastern Idaho Community Action Partnership. If this is too far from you, perhaps there is a similar support group in your city that you can attend. Ours is funded by the Area Agency on Aging and I'm sure that there is a similar AAA near you. Call me at 1-800-632-4813. / A. - Information & Assistance

I don't know if there are any other gradparents on this site but I can tell you that I know that there are plenty of grandparents in your shoes.

I'm not a grandparent, but a new mom in her early forties who usually has older friends, not younger. It's a strange new world being thrown in with moms half my age, and having this incredible experience in common, but not much else. I have a one-year old, so I don't expect we'd have much for our kids to share, but just wanted to let you know I hear ya', and understand the feeling of isolation. Best of luck. -Rebecca

G.,
I am a grandma, but am not raising my grandkids.
I love your request. I look forward to seeing your responds.
With Joy, C.

I am kinda in the same boat. My daughter is back with our granddaughter and she is more concerned about her friends and her social life than her daughter. It is heartbreaking. I'm 45 and still have one child at home is 15. Just starting to enjoy the freedom after raising our 6 children. Now I'm spending time with a 4 (will be 5 this month) year old. I don't mind babysitting for work but I will not babysit for partying. Anyway I feel your pain.

1 / 3