Bug Bites - San Carlos,CA

My 2 1/2 year old daughter woke up last week with a bump or some type of bug bite on her arm. I wasn't concerned. It wasn't red around the edges, just a little swollen where the bite is. Almost a week later, it's become red around the area of the bite. When do I take her to the doctor? I haven't tried anything, except putting a warm compress on it to loosen it up a bit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for all of your recommendations. I ended up putting a little tea tree oil on it and the redness started going away. The bite wasn't oozing or hot to touch, so I didn't end up taking her to the doctor. The area is pretty much healed at this point, but I still see a little mark. Thanks again for your comments.

One thing is to look for a red circle that goes around the bite. If it is a distinct circle it is likely a tick w/ Lyme Disease in which case I seriously recommend antibiotics. (One of the few cases where I agree antibiotics is the wayt to go.)
Best to you!

Best to you!

It's been a week, time to take her in.

The best thing that I have found that works is wetting the area with water and then shaking a bit of Tenderizing salt over it to make a thin paste like cover over the bite/swollen area. The Tenderizing salt draws out the poison and the swelling and redness are usually gone within a day or two. It was a remedy given to my mother by her homeopathic doctor when she was stung by a scorpion. It works great with mosquito bites too! That's what I do for my 2 1/2 year old son!

For inflamation and/or allergic reactions, cold compresses, not warm ones, are the way to go. Also, you might want to call the advice nurse at your pediatrician's office on Monday just to be safe.

Give her some Benedryl and put some hydrocortisone cream on it.

I love the kids AfterBite cream. Works instantly everytime when i see a bug bite on my 1yr. old son. Got it from baby r us.

I would put tea tree oil on it and watch it. I have had delayed reaction in mosquito bites, with the itching an inflammation/redness coming many days later.

Signs of infection are:
1. affected area is warm to touch when compared to another area
2. oozing pus
3. affected area has increased in size and the skin can look taught or tight
4. possible fever

She should be seen if she has any of the above.

Good luck! And yes, I'm a health professional :) (pediatric nurse practitioner)

K. M

In my opinion, I would take her to the doctors now. My 2 1/2 year old daughter was bitten 14 times by a mosquito in July I too didnt think anything of it until they became swollen, hot and hard to the touch. They put her on antibotics that worked immediately. Friday she was bitten again at her brothers soccer practice and by Saturday afternoon we were back in the doctors office. She is allergic to mosquitos and then her scatching makes it worse. She is back on the medicine and they are already getting better. it also helps to give Benedril at night so they dont scatch.

Please be mindful that bed bugs are on the rise in the US. They usually bite while the host is sleeping and will continue to flare up. Keep your eye out for future bites. They take some time to calm down. I would definitely give the lyme disease consideration and just get her checked out to be safe.