Best Baby Toys for 9-12 Months

Hi Moms,
My son is almost 10 months old and I think he's getting bored with his toys. I want to make sure I spend my money on a few good, tried and true toys. What toys were a big hit with your babies? Also, do you have any favorite books for baby?

You might want to try "rotating" the toys. Then he won't get bored. Every time he sees a new batch, it would be big fun!

My son absolutely loved "Brown Bear, Brown Bear. What do you see?" If you are reading books to him any of the Dr. Suess books are fun for them to listen to.

My daughter LOVED (and still does) the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Learning Home. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265260

It is kind of pricey, but if you keep your eye out you can get one on craigslist or at 2nd hand shops for pretty cheap (I got mine for $20).

Also, the laugh & learn piggy bank was and still is a great hit. Well, actually, any of the laugh & learn things were great for this age since they can start to play with them and they can still play with them for a long time and not get worn out on them. When my daughter gets worn out on her toys I put them in a box and switch them with another set of toys. When she gets bored with those, we pull out the old box and she plays with those like they're new again!

Books are great to learn how to get those arms, hands & eyes working in unison... The doodle pro or magna doodles are nice too cuz they can experiment with drawing without coloring all over everything.

Oh, also the mega bloks are good. Nice and large for little hands. I always stacked them up and let my daughter knock them down. She thought it was great fun to see it topple over!

At that age, he needs face time with adults and not so many toys...

What do you mean you think he is "bored"? Need more info.

If he's not playing w/ you and toys together, check out the CDC's web site for "Learn the Signs" and double check your boy against the developmental milestones they have there to make sure his development is on track.

We like blocks -- the nesting/stacking kind! My advice is to NOT buy any of the plastic junk or anything that takes batteries!! And we LOVE books books books! I sell Barefoot Books (it's an independent children's book publisher) and there are some great board books, which work well for little fingers. My 13-month-old likes the baby animals in "Who are You, Baby Kangaroo" or "How Loud is a Lion?" Perfect gift -- and free shipping through the end of day today. Thanks and good luck --

www.mybarefootbooks.com/LoriHachenski

Around that age my son played with tupperware containers and other household things he could get into.. my friend made a box and put a bunch of lids inside a small opening.

You could start getting some push toys.. we have a little mower and some other cart type things.

My friend has a website with creative toys.
www.downtoearthtoys.com

My kids love the books "I Love It When You Smile" by Sam McBratney, "Bad Dog, Marley!" by John Grogan, and "Anything for You" by John Wallace...Blocks are always good gifts for kids, or the big Duplo legos. My 20-month-old likes her shopping cart. Hope you enjoy your holiday with your baby! It's the best!

My little guy just turned 1 three weeks ago. He LOVES his Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Kitchen. We bought him his own plastic spatula, spoon and plastic food to go with it. He pretends he's cooking. Also, if you don't mind magnets on the fridge, Leap Frog has some really cute magnets to play with. One is a barn and you can mix and match animals and the other one is a car wash with different types of transportation. You can get these at Target. My son will play with this for 30 minutes and has now discovered that the pieces stick to the diswasher too. So now he walks back & forth from the fridge to the dishwasher. Keeps him busy.

http://www.leapfrog.com/en/fridge_phonics/fridgefarm.html

My daughter loved her Bee Bop Band. It is a drum with other instruments contained inside. She is now 5, and she still plays the instruments. In fact, we are giving one to her 9 month old cousin this Christmas. It is made by Parents and carried by Target (if not in stores, on line).

Books:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See
Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear
Very Hugry Caterpillar (all by Eric Carle)

Usborne Touch and Feel books (trucks, trains, etc)

Wheels on the Bus (fun to do motions while you read)

Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny by Margaret Brown

The Hat
The Mitten both by Jan Brett

The Napping House (can't remember the author)

1 / 3