Christmas Gift Ideas for a 6 Month Old Boy

Hello, Moms! I am starting to think about Christmas gifts for my son. He will be 6 months old by Christmas this year and need gift ideas for him that he would enjoy. We are not going to buy him a lot and we are trying to keep our spending down this year. Thank you!

Last year when my daughter was about the same age, we got her the Leapfrog Learn & Groove Musical Table. With little ones, you can keep the legs off so they can crawl up to it and play. When they get older, you can put the legs on so they can stand at it. She still plays with this toy, so we've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. It retails for about $45 but Amazon does some interesting pricing things especially around the holidays where prices can fluctuate wildly from one day to the next so we paid $30 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETRENI

Another good toy we got tons of mileage out of is the Evenflo Exersaucer. It's been ages since my daughter actually sat inside it, but she still walks by it and plays with the toys on it. If they get sick of the toys, Evenflo sells different replacement ones for about $4.

My daughter was 6 months old last Christmas and we bought her this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3212745
That website is for ToyRus but i think you can get it a bit cheaper if you shop around like we did.

It was the only thing we got her except a few stocking stuffers. She loved it from day one ( We had to hold her on it back then) and it is still her favorite toy a year later.

I actually wouldn't get toys at all. I love the idea of wrapping up things you'd be buying anyway. But the other thing I thought of is use the money you'd spend on Xmas gifts and buy an enrollment to a Kindermusik class. Music is something he'll have and enjoy forever and when you take one of these classes, you get a CD, a book, and a baby-safe instrument included in the price of the class. My mom gave me a gift certificate to one of these classes when my kids were little, and 7 years later, music is still a huge part of our lives.

I would suggest the Leap Frog Learn and Groove Musical Table. Fisher-Price makes a similar table too. We got this for my son when he was about 8 months old because he liked to stand but needed assistance. The table top comes off and you can put it on the floor for babies who can sit, or keep it on the legs for when they are pulling up. I have the Fisher-Price version and it was one of the best toys for my son. My son also liked anything that he could hold...Fisher-Price makes balls with objects inside that are pretty cool.

I gave my son an excersaucer, but your son is prob. too old for that, there is a ball that is on a little stand that plays music or sings the ABC's when they hit it. A Jolly jumper is always a hit.

Don't go wild he won't remember anyway. Howabout a blanket or stuffed animal or a "Lovie" (a blanket with a stuffed animal head), also try stacking cups or stacking rings. The cups can go anywhere and WHEN he puts them in his mouth they are easy clean. My daughter was 5 months her first Christmas and we got some smaller, hand size objects that rattles and could be put in her mouth. Also WalMar sells a "book" that can be chewed on. One page crinkles, one is smooth, one is rougher and the binding is made with rings to rattle. The whole thing is machine washable too!!! Have fun!!! A.

BOOKS!! I love giving books as gifts... my favorite book for this age is "Piggies" by Don and Audrey Wood. I think you can find it as a board book too.

"we're going on a bear hunt", "The hungry caterpillar", and "Where the wild things are", are all great books that he'd enjoy for years.

Save your money. I have learned over the years that the gifts are for you, not for him, because he won't know what he's getting or not at this age. Relatives will bring him presents if you want to see him open something under the tree. If you are dead set on giving him something, try something that talks or plays music; something from The Leap systems are great (I saw a crab rattle at Marshalls that shook and also played the numbers aloud in English and Spanish.) Personally, the best gift you can give your child is love, and the knowledge of greater good in the world. Take him to visit relatives and friends. Remember that the spirit of the season is not in his getting, but in giving to others. My children and I give a lot of charity during this time, instead of getting presents. They have learned not to mind this, and have garnered a true sense of being a part of a bigger world, love, and helping their fellow man. I started them too late, and they became spoiled with gift-getting. (They are now 12, 9 and 4). The little one is the best off because he doesn't remember extravagant holiday gift getting. Now I am proud to say that they anxiously await the holidays to see what they can do for others. Good luck.
P.S. Same goes for the elaborate first birthday parties.

1 / 3