What Next After Exersaucer?

Our almost 9mos old son seems to be getting bored w/his exersaucer. He can't walk yet so we like using it because it keeps him upright for a while after eating (he's still a big spitter). But we've noticed that he's not as interested in the toys on it anymore. I know you can buy new ones which we could do. But I'm wondering if anyone can suggest another similar product for his age or the next "thing" for him. If you can recommend any new exersaucer toys that your child likes that we should purchase, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.

Thank you for your help!

I have a 2 girls ages 2 and 1. After the exer. we used the walking push cars or anything they can stand behind and push. They both loved it! Although - they were no longer "contained" like in the exer.

Why not let him crawl around on the floor? He will get stronger and will be walking soon. Why are you trying to "tie him down"? My daughter (now 24) walked at 10 months because I was pregnant and couldnt pick her up! Kids need to be put down and left to explore their world. That's how they learn.

Let him roam more on the floor. How about a push walker toy?
He will soon like to pull up and play with the toys from a different angle too.

Gotta put my two cents in here-I never used an "exersaucer" or a "jumper" and I really don't get it. As far as walking goes any pediatrician will tell you that the best forerunner to walking is crawling (yes, nature knows what she's doing) because it develops the upper legs not the calves. Those big muscles are what propels your walking. So those toys are actually a hindrance to walking. Also your kid wants to explore and find out about the world and with supervision of course, that's what he/she should be doing. It's kind of the physical equivilent to putting your kid in front of the TV. Now I get the need to have somewhere to put the child while you run to the bathroom but other then that no. Also I wouldn't want the kid in a jumper thing unless I was watching anyway. So what's the point? Of course they get bored in those things! Give them real stuff to do and interact with them!

Nothing:) I just posted an explanation to my answer in another post further down about exosaucers and jumpers. Especially at 9 months he just needs to move around and explore his environment(I'm a pediatric PT so it's also part professional advice). If you need somewhere to put him while you take a shower etc put him in a pack n play with some toys.

Can your son "cruise"? If so, I recommend the Leap Frog Learning Table. I think some moms called it something else, but when I bought mine for my son about 2 years ago it was called that. It's really a cute toy and has lots of fun activities for them to play. And, it has lasted longer than any toy we've bought as far as interesting him. He's 2 1/2 now and he'd still be playing with it if I hadn't packed it away.

Lots of moms suggested the jumperoo. We have one but our son wasn't really into it and it was expensive so I regret buying it. It would only last you a little while longer, anyway, since as soon as your son can take some steps you're not supposed to use it. That's what I like about the Learning Table - it's good for a long time. And, the Jumperoo is just huge and the music it plays is SO annoying. That's just my humble opinion.

And I have to say to the moms that scold you for wanting a toy for your son to sit in: be nice. Maybe you can fold laundry, make breakfast, lunch and dinner, answer phone calls, put away toys, chase after toddlers, clean the litter box and empty the dishwasher all while holding your still immobile infants, but the rest of us need a hand to do the "home" part of "stay at home" mom! :)

Nothing. Let him explore. Enjoy cruising a sofa. It's cheaper and he won't grow out of it. Good luck!

He may be signaling you that he wants to get going on developing his muscles for walking. Increase his tummy time, stand him up by the couch and hold his little butt so he doesn't fall. If he responds to just being left to move around his legs and body, then this is it.

1 / 3