7 Month Old with Cough

My seven month old daughter caught a cold from me. She doesn't seem too bothered by it, except for a cough that disturbs her sleep. I'm pretty apprehensive about giving her any kind of cold medicine. What can I give her or do for her that is safe and reliable, and that will help her sleep more comfortably?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it! I ended up buying a cool mist humidifier for her room and it worked wonders! Luckily the cough was really the only symptom she had and it has pretty much cleared up. I think she got her daddy's strong immune system!

I would contact the pediatrician. She may have a bacterial infection and they would be able to give her antibiotics for it which would clear up her cough. If not, they have vicks baby rub which you can put on her chest, which always seems to help or steam from a hot bath or a kitchen sink , lay her around it for about 5-10 minutes and it will help clear her up.

I know my baby girl had the same problem. I don't know if you can prop her matress up with a wedge or pillow underneath to help the drainage, but if you can please try that. I also run a warm humidifier with the vicks vapor steam as close to her bed as possible. I also rubbed true vicks on her chest, a small amt under her nose and if you will put some on the bottoms of her feet and put socks over it, it seems to help. I know I have used all of these everytime by child has problems. We still with this at least every couple of months and it really seems to help. Hope it works for you.

Hello J.,

I've done this w/ then 4year old...(she's 6 now) on a tissue put 5 drops peppermint oil + 3 drops rosemary oil + 2 drops basil oil. put that in the room (where the baby can't get to it. it helps a lot...even grown ups (smile). this worked when cough medicine w/ codeine was NOT working. btw, rosemary oil does not go well w/ people that have high blood pressure. Good luck! ~C.~

We used a cold humidifier. It looks like a cute little puppy dog! They are made to run up to 11 hours so we ran it all night. One night I forgot and he woke me up coughing. When I turned it on, he stopped!

Hi J., We have always used a clove of garlic and we cruch it a bit and wrap it in a small piece of cloth and put a sock on the babies foot, then put the cloth with the garlic and then put on another sock to hold it in place and do this before you put her down at night and take it off the next day and repeat the next night. The fumes from the garlic will go thru her body and clear up the cold and you need to put a sock on her foot before you put the garlic on it so that the garlic doesn't touch her foot as it will burn her tender skin and the last sock just keeps it in place. We have used this over the years and it works as garlic is a natural anti-bodic. The cold should clear up in a couple of days and I wish you all the best. Ed

vicks vapor rub for children you can rub it on there chest and there back

I'm a first time mom too! I put a pillow UNDERNEATH the crib mattress to elevate the baby's head, and put a COOL mist humidifier in the baby's room. Your baby is too little to add any medications to the mist. This is what my doctor told me. Helps them breathe better and drain easier. Hope this helps!

Dear J.,

Sorry your little one is not feeling well. I used to five my little girl a hot bath with a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil. Sudafed shower soothers work too but consult your physician to see if they are ok for a child of her age. I think Vicks may have shower soothers as well. Get her to drink lots of water and if the cough is accompanied by a fever it's best you take her to the doctor because it could be a sign of infection. Hope this was helpful and hope your baby gets better.

Sincerely,
A.

My youngest had a horrible time with colds. We blew a vaporizer right in front of her while she was in a bouncy/back type seat. She even slept in it for several months of her life because we had to deal with such congestion.

1 / 3