6 Year Old Still in Pull Ups at Night

My 6 year old son (7 in March) still needs pull ups at night. He sleeps so soundly he doesn't wake up to go to the bathroom. I limit his water intake prior to bed and he goes to the bathroom right before getting into bed, but it doesn't help much. My doctor doesn't appear too worried. Anyone else have a child this age still in pull ups, so I know I'm not alone? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the input. Glad to know it is not so uncommon. I guess we'll just wait and see - and keep buying pull ups!

My 8 year old still wears Good Nites every night. The info you have recieved about biological and puberty are correct I believe.

my nephew was like this, my sister had his adnoids removed and it seemed to work. I don't know what the connection is buy some other parents she knew did the same thing. My nephew was about 10 or 12 when they did the sergery. Good luck.

Both of my kids (boy and girl) wet the bed until they were almost 10!! My husband did too when he was a kid. My doc said its somewhat genetic and not to worry. They have both grown out of it now.

My son is 7 1/2 and still wets the bed. We have tried to limit is intake before bed but he's so active he very thirsty. We've also tired waking him up in the middle of the night but still is usually wet in the morning. He sleeps very soundly. My mom said it's in his case probably genetic. My older nephew was 11 or 12 when he stopped and my brother was at least 10. My chiropractor said if my son is still wetting by 9 maybe 10 that is the point that they would start working with him treatment wise to get him to stop without meds. Don't worry you are not alone!!!!!

God Bless!

H.

My daughter also had to wear pull-ups at night. She is now almost eight and several months ago she began waking up dry. Her doctor told me as she got older it would get better. There are medications, but I decided to not to use them. I tried all the methods, limiting fluid intake before bed, waking her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I even bought an alarm that goes off when she was wet. The alarm was a big hassle and expensive.
I just decided to stop worrying about it. We still make sure she goes to the bathroom before she goes to bed. She actually does that on her own before and after story time.

I was the same way when I was a kid. I would actually dream that I was going into the bathroom and using the toilet. I'd wake myself up by wetting the bed. I eventually out grew it. Its a common problem that your child will outgrow. Also try limiting his caffeine, like no chocolate products before bed as caffeine, even small amounts will irritate the bladder and contribute to the issue.

Also glad to know I am not alone. My son also will be 7 in March and is still wearing pull ups at night. He actually went for about 2 months just recently going without and would end up having about 1 accident per week, but then suddenly started having 4-5/week, so we went back to pull ups. My pedi also not worried at all, keeps telling me it is neurological and he will not be in pull ups forever!! My son also sleeps too soundly and just doesn't wake up. We also limit fluids after dinner, virtually nothing after dinner time, and be sure he goes to the bathroom just before bed, but still doesn't work. He wakes up dry about 2x/week.

Hi - know your frustration and the extra work involved in a bed wetting child. This is NOT - repeat - not a discipline issue at all. It is a biological issue and can't be helped at all by your son. I promise! When your son hits puberty at 12 or 13 abouts - this will stop.
REally, my adult son has thanked me for protecting him from teasing and for helping him through his self hate for wetting the bed. He wanted to be dry so bad. You can teach him responsibility in general of taking the wet sheets off his bed and to put them in the washer and to put clean sheets back on his bed. Other than that, I put a plastic cover over his mattress. I refused to allow anyone to tease him or make him embarressed in any way - including his sisters. This could become a psychological issue by way it's handled.
My doctor told me if he was still wetting the bed at age 14 - she would refer him to a specialist. She was stern with me into not making this a big deal and to allow encourage my son's self esteem. Poor little guy. He didn't do sleep overs because of his fear of ridicule if he wet that night. Some months he would wet every single night and then it would stop a few weeks and come back.
Please try not to worry about and just accept it's part of who he is and is a burden for him and is not a choice.
G.L.

C.,
My son who just turned 7 still wears a pull-up at night. He usually doesn't wet in it anymore, unless it has been a stressful day or if he has had a soft drink anytime in the evening. We have never made a big deal of it, and I feel like he could probably start going without them now, but he isn't ready to trust that he will wake up if he needs to go. I would just like to encourage you that if the doctor is not concerned that, your son will probably grow out of it very soon. Have a blessed day.

I'm sooooo glad you asked this question C. because my 6 year old daughter (7 in July) is still in pull-ups @ night too. Our DR isn't concerned either. He said that as long as she's not wearing them during the day and is going to the bathroom then it's fine. She's also a very hard sleeper and he said that eventually she'll decide on her own she doesn't want them anymore and will have to wake up to ____@____.com of the time she's completely dry in the morning and other times it's totally full and gross. After being dry 3-4 times in a row she has asked not to wear them anymore but I told her that she'll have to be dry @ least 7 days in a row for us to try it without. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet so as of now she's still wearing pull-ups @ night.

1 / 3