3 Yr Old with Stiff Neck/Pinched Nerve

2 Days ago my 3 year old woke up screaming that his head hurt. He did it most of the day so we took him to the ER. The ER doc did a few things with him to rule out a nuerelogical problem. He sent us home with Motrn and told us he may have slept on it wrong and it's just a pinched nerve. since then, my son hasn't moved his head to one side because it hurts. The stiffness hasn't "worked it's way out" like we had hoped. I can't get him an appt until Aug 10. Should I go ahead and take him back to the ER or wait it out?

I would look for a chiropractor with experience with children. They are very gentle with them, not like adult adjustments. My two girls go to keep them from getting ear infections.

If you live near Niceville, Fl I HIGHLY recommend Zook chiropractic!! You will be amazed at the results and won't need to medicate you son for him to feel better!

Call a chiropractic... It did wonders for my hubby when he had problems with his arm... The doctor just gave him pain medication, but it didn't resolve the problem... He went with the chiropratic, and in three sessions he was fixed and has not complain about it for over two years

make an appointment with a chiropractor. they are wonderful with children and will actually help the problem instead of medicate it. just my opinion.

I had that happen alot when I was growing up. I had many emergency trips to the ciropractor so get my back and neck adjusted. I would get where I couldn't move at all without my neck or back spaziming up. In the end I found out that I have a mild case of scoliosis. But if I am not careful, I can lock myself up and it does take a few days of heat to get it to relax. I would check with a chiropractor and also try those icy-hot or therma patchs. they work wonders for me and i keep them on hand for emergencies.

good luck and go with your gut, it will never prove you wrong.

I'm a big fan or chiropractors. Find one locally, takes your insurance, and if not, then barter for whatever service you can offer (landscaping, tutoring, whatever)
Also, everyone: you can go to the fire station for free...
you will be charged if they take you in the ambulance, though. But the paramedics will assess any situation. We pay for this via our taxes. Plus they are right there and very nice!

It's too bad you wasted a trip to the E.R. You need to take your child to a Chiropractor. Call a few in your area and see if they can see your 3 year old. I'm seeing a Chiropractor for a pinched nerve problem so I know the pain involved. Motrin will NOT take the pain away. It will continue to be "pinched" until an adjustment is made. Call a chiropractor today!

Of course an ER Dr is just going to throw pills at you. Take him to a Chiropractor, sounds like it may be "stuck". I used to get that as a child a lot, and all they did was meds and heating pad. Heat will help some, but I definately would go to a Chiro.

i agree with most of these lovely people a chiropractor will work wonders. i flipped over the handle bars of my bike at 8 and thought nothing of it then over the years my neck would spasm and my parents just said i slept on it wrong and i kept ignoring it. when i was 18 it took both my parents to lift me outta bed my neck was so painful. come to find out that bike accident cause issues and over the years calcium formed between all the vertebrae and now i have limited mobility im constantly having neck issues because as much as i can get adjusted the calcium prevents them from actually putting the natural curve back in my neck. i am about to start taking my 5 yr old since she has been complaining of her back hurting with the way she bounces off things its no wonder she popped her back out :p

1 / 3