15 Month Old Who Keeps Falling

I have a 15 month old granddaughter and lately she has been falling like crazy. Since my "baby" is 22 years old I don't remember if this is normal or not. It does not matter if she has shoes on or just socks...she just keeps falling. She is a very busy little girl and on the go all the time. I'd certainly appreciate your input. Thanks!

My daughter at that age kept falling a lot also. She just needed to get her walking down pact. She is now 2 years and she is doing fine. I read the other responses. If she is not ill then maybe she just need to get used to her balance and get used to walking. Good luck!

Hello M.,

When I taught early childhood ed. I had a little one in my class who started to fall a lot and showed no other symptoms, was still very happy and playful but the parents took them to the Doctors just to be on the safe side and the little one ended up having a double ear infection. Once the ear infection cleared up they stopped all the falling. My child was tripping and falling a lot at one point and I took them to our Chiropracter to get adjusted ( I trust my chiropacter and only him I can not vouch for any other) and they were fine after that. It could be just a toddler toddling, she may be trying to do more things and want to move around a little more and falls a lot in the process. I would let Mom know to keep an eye on her maybe there is a pattern, like does she fall more when she is tired?, or take her to the Doctors- nothing wrong with being extra safe. Hope this helps a little

as long as no ear infection i think its normal. My son started walking around 13 or 14 mo and fell on his face, literally for about 4 months. I kept him barefoot or in crib shoes most the time as it seemed to help his footing.

Hi there-

This could be something as simple as she is growing very fast to a possible ear infection to something more serious. My guess though would be an ear infection. My kids never showed signs of an ear infection but their balance would be off. If you are concerned, you should have Mom take her to the Doctor to double check.

Enjoy your "baby". :)

Kids this age fall a LOT. My son constantly had a bang or a bruise on his head until just a few months ago. He gets more clutzy when he's tired. I think it's normal, though it is sort of horrifying how often it happens :)

Just do your best to eliminate any easy causes - make sure her socks have sticky things on the bottom so she doesn't slip, or that she's wearing shoes. Keep clutter to a minimum so that when she falls she doesn't bang onto something, or trip over something (this will happen no matter what you do, but you can try and minimize it). Remind her to slow down if she's running.

My son still falls a lot too!! He is now 21 months and can fall 3 times just getting out to the car. I think it is totally normal but if concerned bring it up to your son/daughter so they can chat with the ped. Unless you see other neurological type things going on, she is most likely just a clumsy toddler!!

My son also falls a lot (now 23 months) and it seems to go in spurts. When he was around your granddaughter's age our ped told me to make sure that he was barefoot as much as safely possible. He has gotten better over time, but is still somewhat clumsy at times.

My second son was the same way. Still is! I guess some kids are clumsier than others. Since the time my son started walking, he'd fall all the time. It didn't matter if he had shoes or not. We'd joke that he use to trip over air! He was constantly falling but he's just fine. I think it's perfectly normal. You just have to be aware of her surroundings so that she doesn't hurt herself. Today, my second son is 11 years old and he is still the most accident prone of my six boys! Hope this helps!

1 / 3