15 Month Old Suddenly Falling Alot When Walking

My 15 month old son has been walking since he was 10 months old. For about the past month he keeps falling down every couple of steps as if he loses his balance. Has this ever happened to anyone else? One person told me it could be a heart condition because his normal temp. is 96.5 and a low temperature is associated with heart conditions.

Just wanted to thank all of you for your opinions! He was at the doctor on friday for running a 102 degree fever and they said it was because of his shots, however back again Monday and it turns out he has a bad ear infection in both ears. He is now an an antibiotic and once all is said and done if he is still falling down when the medicine is done we are going to look into further. He has also seen and infectious disease doctor about the temperature to make sure there were no other complications, she said it is perfectly normal for a child to have a low temperature and the only 2 concerns would be if it dropped lower then 94 degrees or went higher then 104. So after all this worrying and a bottle of hair dye to cover those grays =) I hoping it was just his ears! Thanks again to everyone!

My daughter has had this problem around that age also. I spent many days in the emergencey room and at the doctors offices because they could not figure it out. They took x rays and everything. I had to take her to a ortherpedic specialist and the called it toxic synuritis I dont know if I spelled that right but that is when the hips of the child gets inflamed and it makes it difficult for them to walk. He told me to keep her off her feet and to give her pain meds like motron and it went away by it self. It was so bad that after a while she could not even sit up by her self

It could be an inner ear infection. Watch to see if he's rubbing or pulling at his ears. Ear infections will also cause problems with balance. But if he's falling enough to make you worried, have your pediatrician check him out. Also, record every time he falls, and anything else you notice that his not his normal behavior so that you will be able to recount everything to the doctor. If he goes to a daycare, ask them to do the same during the day.

HTH, J.

I would highly recommend you take your son to a dr to get some answers. If you don't get answers w/ the first doc go to another. This could be something simpley resolved like many have mentioned (growth spurt, shoes, ear infection etc) or it could be something serious that requires quick attention (heart issues or childhood cancer- see http://www.acor.org/ped-onc/diseases/SOCC.html for more info) I am not saying this to frighten you but a child this young can not communicate well what they are feeling so you need to rely on what you are observing and share this w/ his pediatrician, especially if the symptoms do not go away.

I wish you well and a quick healing to your son.

It could be a growth spurt has thrown his balance but I would have him checked out anyways. It is probably nothing serious but if it were, the earlier you catch it, the better...

have his ears checked as well. fluid can produce an equilibrium problem.

My name is D.. I am a mother and also I am a doctor. I do not treat children. Usually loss in balance sugest a cerebelar problem. If your child keeps having this problem you need to see a neurologyst. An ear infection can cause dizziness too ,and having his ears checked is a good ideea.
I have a son too. He is 14 months , and he looses balance too at times...but not all of the sudden and not frequently.
I really hope it is just a faze and your son is fine.D.

Hey A.,

Have his ears checked. I have a little girl at my daycare that does the same thing. When she was checked the doc said she has fluid in her ears that is causing her to have an imbalance. She is having the tubes put in her ears because the medication is not helping. I am not sure about the low temp being associated with a heart condition but I would have the doc check out her ears first before panicking. Good luck!!!

My first thought was shoes. As they start to outgrow a pair, they will start tripping and falling. Also, is he getting enough rest? This could also impact things. Probably just a growth/balance thing--I wouldn't assume the worst. Good luck.

1 / 3