1 Year Old Soaking Through Diaper at Night

My 1 year old has been soaking through his diaper at night for the last couple weeks...ever since I stopped nursing him at night and switched to a bottle. His night time bottle is only 5 oz (day time bottles are 8 oz), and I don't let him have any liquid with dinner. He goes to bed between 8-8:30 and usually sleeps until 8-8:30 am. I have tried pampers and huggies night time diapers, niether help. I have doubled him up with two night time diapers and rubber pants over the diapers...still soaking through! The night time diapers are a size 4, which is quite big on him, but I have put a regular size 3 on him under the night time diaper and it's still not helping. He just moved up to the size 3's, and he could actually still fit in a size 2, they just weren't cutting it anymore. Any suggestions?

I bought the next size up for night time-I also at one point had to go to Walmart and get the Cheapie diapers and I used the Pamper with the cheap one over top of that one and that worked GREAT!

I had the same problem and found that fisherprice makes wonderful night time diapers. I found them at babies r us. Ever since I started using those we have yet to have to wash his sheets on a daily basis! :-)

Hey K.,
This happened with my first and we tried multiple things--limiting feedings, doubling diapers you name it. What worked for us were diaper covers, the ones ment for cloth diapers.

Here is the type we used: http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/GerberCover.html

I found them at Target and liked them becuae you slip them on over the diaper like underwear so they were less likely to leak without velcro or snaps. They were machine washable and hang dry, super easy.

Hope this helps,
Suzy and her men (Malcolm 2, Stanley 4.5)

I used a super maxi pad inside the front of my son's Huggies Overnights. It worked almost every night! Good luck!

I had the same problem and wish I had known about the diaper covers at Target. They sound like a good try. What I did was buy a size up and I always, always give one last diaper change right before bed and I mean right before so we have a clean, dry, new diaper to work with. It has helped. And he has a bottle right before bedtime. It finally worked.

Do you think it is time to move up a size?

I have the same problem with my 14 month old. I found that I was putting his diapers on too loose. Now I do not have a leak every night like before but it still happens sometimes. He leaked right through all the name brand diapers, I even tried huge size 6 diapers and no luck. I am using Walmart brand right now size 4 and they are working wonderfully because the tabs are extra extra streatchable and durable and they don't stink like pampers cruisers.

Try folding the top of the diaper inward. Little boys tend to only use the front of the diaper and then it leaks out the top. When it's folded over it forces the liquid back down and into the back. It's not perfect, but it sometimes helps. (And stick with the huggies overnites - far and away the best overnites I've found). Good luck.

How frustrating! Is his diaper wet (not necessarily soaked) before 10p or 10:30p? How about a sneaky late-night diaper change before you go to bed?

1 / 3