Facial Skin Problems

Updated on September 11, 2010
A.S. asks from Centerville, UT
13 answers

Hello ladies,

I am at the end of my rope trying to fix my skin problem. On my face I have 5 trouble spots. Two above my mouth to the left and right a bit and two below my mouth to the left and right a bit. The last one has just flared up a lot!!! It is under my left eye and is all red and puffy. They all started as dry skin and have become red and yucky with time. Sometimes they have dry flakes on them and sometimes not. Sometimes they do get better too. I have started washing my face once a day (with Neutrogena pore refining cleanser) instead of twice that helped for a while. (If I stop washing all together I am afraid I will have bad break outs) I use face moisturizer (Aveeno Ultra-Calming) and was using aquaphor at night but just read that that vaseline is bad for the skin under the eyes. What should I do? We are on a fixed budget so I don't want to have to buy five different new products but I do need help. Should I go see a dermatologist??? This has been bad all summer.

Thanks for your advice

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Missoula on

I would go see a dermatologist for anything that doesn't seem to heal on its own. Could be psoriasis, which is not fun but is treatable.

More Answers



answers from Indianapolis on

Yes, see a dermatologist. Very few of us on here have medical training, and dermatological issues are really hard to diagnose - even for Dermatologists in some cases.

Aquaphor should be OK - our daughter was diagnosed with eczema at a few months old, and our son chaps his thumb each winter (serious thumb sucker), and the pediatrician has assured us it's OK for ingestion for kids which should make it OK for the sensitive membranes around the eyes (you should verify with your pharmacist/physician).

There's also a good, OTC product called Vanicream that our Dermatologist recommended for our daughter's eczema and has controlled it nicely. It's about $10 for a big tub and is a thick, fragrance free lotion. You may have to ask your pharmacy to order it in which takes about 24 hours.

However, I'd start with the doctor and move from there.
Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from New York on

Drink loads of water. Don't put anything else on your face and try a great detox. I would recommend Bentonite clay. I buy it in it's powdered form, add distilled water to make a mask and put that on my face. You can also ingest the clay which is great for detoxifying the body.

If this didn't work, I would then go and see a dermatologist.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Denver on

It sounds like an allergic reaction---probably to the products you are using on your skin. I would stop using everything. Get a super mild soap--Dr. Bronner's baby mild would be good because it has no fragrances (which can be very irritating.) Make sure you stay away from anything with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) as that, too, can be irritating. Then get some organic, extra pure, cold pressed coconut oil and use that on your skin. The medium chain fatty acids in it are what your skin uses to heal itself. It will not clog your pores--only mineral oil (vaseline) does that. Studies are showing great results with coconut oil--but only the non-processed kind.
Good luck,



answers from Alexandria on

I had similar skin in my 20's. When I stopped trying to treat breakouts and started taking care of my skin things improved. Stop using any products that are for breakouts (anything with s. acid or b. peroxide). These products are too drying and even when you use a moisturizer it is too much. I have had really good experiences with oil of olay products, in fact so much so that even my husband uses them! The regenerist line of products is the one I am most happy with. I use the scrub cleanser, and the regenerist facial cream (in the little red tub). I don't however recommend the night cream, though it is a great moisturizer, I found it too perfumy. I use the face cream morning and night.
I used to think that if I used a lot of moisturizers my face would be more oily and break out more. I was wrong. I use the proper moisturizers and gentle cleaners on my face and it has been years since I had a pimple or dry patch on my face.

If you try everything you can think of and it doesn't work, or if this is just painful then it is time to go to the dermatologist. Yes it may cost you more out of pocket for the visit, but could save you a lot of money in trying different products!



answers from Salt Lake City on

My skin has for the most part been ok - I had my tubes tied in my late 30's and went off birth control - my skin freaked out. Nothing I did helped. I went to the dermatologist and told him there is something wrong with me standing at the mirror popping zits beside my teenage girls. DO SOMETHING!!! He put me on Spironolactone and I have not had any problems since. It is a prescription but low cost. I take it once a day. I have tried to stop but my problem flared up again so I will stay on this until I finally get past whatever my hormones are doing to me. I have not had any side affects - it has been a self esteem saver. Hope this helps some and good luck - skin problems are so frustrating.



answers from Salt Lake City on

I have had skin rashes on my face a couple of different times that I went to my family doctor for. It turns out sometimes you need an antibiotic to clear it up since a bacteria can cause the rash, or problem.

I would probably go to the doctor before changing skin routines since you have been dealing with it for a while.


answers from Boston on

All of the advice/science reports that you're supposed to mix products from different lines - find one brand and stick with it as the products are supposedly made to go together. The problem is, many of them contain chemicals and you may be reacting to those. Your skin is your largest organ and it really needs to be treated from inside with nutrition, and skin REPAIR (not "care") products from the outside. It might be worth your going to a dermatologist or a facial spa to get it cleaned out once and for all. My skin is remarkably improved since I started supplementing my diet with patented liquid supplements (balanced) and using a skin repair line. I look 10 years younger than I really am, and no more zits!



answers from Denver on

I would go to a Dermatologist to rule out anything else that could be going on. They could recommend a skin care regimine that would help your specific skin type.



answers from Las Vegas on

I think if you have insurance, DO see a dermatologist.. why? because they could give you an antibiotic. I don't normally advocate antibiotics.. but in my case, I had this little red rash around my eyes (some sort of ITIS) and at times corners of my mouth.. it would "kinda" go away but NEVER completely.. finally, after not putting creams or makeup on (which still didn't work) I went to see the dermatologist who gave me ten days worth of meds and it TOTALLY cleared up the RED...... I wish I didn't wait so long..
also, soaps and other products that have WAX in them (as many creams do) can further clog pores and perpetuate the problems.. I would definitely go the dermatologist BEFORE you buy anymore products.. some dermatologist even have a "physician's Assistant: in the office and if you see him/her that can make the visit cheaper..
best of luck to you



answers from New York on

Hi A., I would start with a visit to an esthetician first. Since money is tight look for a beauty school in your area...you can probably get a facial for under $25.00. They should be able to determine your skin type and if the products you are using are appropriate. Many people who think they have dry skin (skin type) are actually just dehydrated (temp condition) and can be repaired with the proper products. Even if a student is working on you, you can still get a great facial....ask lots of questions and tell her everything you do regarding your face routine. If she doesn't know the answers she should bring in her instructor who should be very knowledgable. Hopefully your problem can be solved by just switching out a product of two.



answers from Salt Lake City on

Going to a dermatologist would be great, but if that is something you are trying to avoid, I would start with changing your cleanser to a very mild one like Cetaphil. It is very mild, won't cause breakouts, and is moisturizing. Dermatologists recommend it often. They also have a great cream you can use on your trouble spots. Good luck!


answers from Dover on

If you can, go to a dermatologist to be sure there isn't something medically wrong. I would also suggest using Sei Bella's skin care products. A lot of products both from the drug store, department stores, etc have not so good ingredients and can actually do more damage than good. In fact, there was recently a newspaper article that discusses just that.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions