Chance of Pre-Eclampsia W/ 2Nd Child

Updated on August 22, 2009
A.J. asks from Colonial Heights, VA
8 answers

Thank you all who take the time to read this. I had my daughter in 2006 at 26 weeks gestation. I had, well have high blood pressure. It was extremely high during pregnancy which in turn contributed to me having emergency c-section. I am very interested in having another child. My doctor gave me a 40% chance of it happening again, but I look at it as a 60% chance of NOT happening. So with that being said, I guess I just want to know has anyone been through this, what happened, what did your doctors say, etc. I know I need to chat with my doctor and don't plan on trying until end of next year when my daughter starts school, but just thought I would throw it out there. Again thanks so much.

2 moms found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

J.P.

answers from Washington DC on

I had pre eclampsia with my first but had 2 problem free pregnancies after that. in fact my other pgs were fabulous with nothing but being rh-.

J.

More Answers

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

K.W.

answers from Washington DC on

I,too, had pre-eclampsia with my first child, but didn't deliver him until 38 weeks. My second pregnancy , however, was totally uncomplicated- no problems with my BP at all. It really is true that every pregnancy is different. I do understand your angst, as I was concerned with the second pregnancy too. My doctor told me that pre-eclampsia is more common in first pregnancies, but that if you have it once, it does increase your risk some (though not tremendously) to have it again. Is your BP under control now? I would definitely make sure that it's well controlled before getting pregnant again. If you do want another child, go for it. Just watch your diet and monitor your BP regularly. Do your part and leave the rest to God!

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

J.M.

answers from Washington DC on

I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia with my first child as well. I did not have to be delivered until 38 weeks however, but I have read that pre-eclapmsia is more common in first pregnancies than in subsequent ones. I had my son two years later with no signs of pre-eclampsia at all. Everyone is different, but I just wanted to share that with you.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

L.M.

answers from Washington DC on

A.,
As a childbirth educator and birth doula, a have had some experience with clients who had high blood pressure and pre eclampsia. I have a pre eclampsia protocol which has successfully reversed the situation in many women. Saying that, here are several suggestions that I have. Run do not walk to the nearest midwife. They are much more knowlegeable when it comes to preventing such issues. Also, they take more time with you and listen and more. Next, when you do get pregnant, nutrition is the key. 80-100 gms of protein a day. At least that, sometimes more. Reducing or hopefully eliminating processed foods, especially sugar. There are specific vitamins/minerals, and teas that will help as well. Lastly, acupuncture is a wonderful tool to keep your body in balance. Please feel free to contact me if you want more info. on this protocol and/ or referals to midwives, acupuncturists.
L.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

J.M.

answers from Washington DC on

Ask your doctor about supplementation of magnesium sulfate. There is very new research out that shows that magesoum sulfate supplementation can prevent pre-eclampsia. If your doctor hasnt heard about this research, email me off line and I can provide the literature (the latest Lancet series has published a research article about the prevention of pre-eclampsia). Good luck.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

L.W.

answers from Richmond on

It's hard to believe that someone else had the same issuie with pregnancy as me. I had my daughter at 26 weeks gestation in Oct. 2002. She also weighed just over 1 lb when she was born. My doctor told me I had the 1% rare type of pre-eclampsia that was causing me to have very high blood pressure and possible kidney and liver failure if she was not born by emergency c-section. My daughter is almost 7 now and the only issues she still has are allergies and asthma. I also had my son in May 2005 at 32 weeks gestation. My doctor also told me that having a second pregnancy could be at risk for the same thing. But my doctor had me on a schedule of regular weekly visits almost from day one of my second pregnancy and we monitored my blood pressure all the time. I was checked into the hospital on bed rest a few days before my son was born. After an ultrasound I had an abruption and began bleeding and he was born by emergency c-section at 32 weeks. He is now 4 and his only issue is he is short and skinny but healthy as can be. My health was more at risk with these pregnancies than the health of the kids. You can have a second child if you are careful and get plenty of bed rest and keep a close watch on your blood pressure and for signs that the second pregnancy is starting to resemble the first. It's comforting to hear that someone else has had the same issues as me. Thanks for sharing and I hope my story has helped you in your decision as well. Thanks!
-L. W.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

L.H.

answers from Norfolk on

HI A.,

I do not have a medical degree but wanted to share with you from my own experience which may in turn help you. With my 6th pregnancy I had complications of edema, high blood pressure and some headaches. I was so uncomfortable and finally 2 weeks before my due date was having severe epigastric pain and burping. I believe my liver was enlarged and either I was in labor and didn't know it or the pain put me into labor the next day. The hospital had me on anti-seizure IV. I had a healthy tiny (5lb 4oz) boy but my placenta had large calcifications and was grey. I was told it looked like a heavy smoker's placenta. I was told I would probably have these symptoms for every pregnancy afterward and they may worsen. It took several weeks for my blood pressure to return to normal.
Now the good news...I eventually met people and found out about how important PROTEIN is to a pregnant mom's diet. You have to count and track your protein intake DAILY and keep it at as close to 100grams as possible or over. This takes purposeful eating and work but it keeps your body from having the symptoms of "Pre-eclampsia." Of course, I don't know your medical history but I would advise you to do some research on this for yourself. OB MD's are not trained in nutrition and do not stress this or check. The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth uses Dr. Brewer's nutritional plan and it worked for me. I have since had healthy full-term (6lb 140z, 6lb 8oz) twin girls and an 8lb oz boy with no edema, HBP or complications in either pregnancy.
I pray you find the answers to help you have a healthy wonderful 2nd pregnancy...children are the most wonderful and important thing we can do with our lives.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

E.K.

answers from Washington DC on

A.,

My main suggestions would be to get your BP well controlled, and make sure that your are taking GOOD Pre-Natal vitamins now. I alos suggest some exercise and yoga, to get yourself in shape, it caould aslo help lower your BP. So that you can be sure that your body is prepared for a baby.
If you would like to try proven vitamins from a company with an excellent reputation, e-mail me [email protected]____.com
I hope this helped a bit.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches