Why Is Daughter's Tooth Grey?

I am worried about my daughter's front tooth. About 4 or 5 days ago she and her brother were playing chase and she fell on top of him and hit her tooth on his head. I checked to make sure it wasn't loose and she said it hurt when I tried to wiggle it. It was not loose and she got over it so I didn't think anything else about it. Well,yesterday I noticed that the top of her tooth had a grey tint to it. I did some research on-line and I read that it could be bruised. I also read that it could eventually be an abseced(sp?) tooth. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen? Thanks

Well,I called her dentist this morning and they said that it was bruised. She said it was just like if I were to run in to a door and get a bruise on my face. She said that I don't need to bring her in and to just watch for pimples on her gums above the tooth. If she gets any of those or it starts to hurt her to call them. Thank you for all the responses.

I had a similar thing happen to me as a child. I fell off a sofa as a toddler and pushed a front tooth almost all the way back up into the gumline (from what I've heard). It eventually came back down a brownish color, but firm in the gum. It fell out in the normal timeline of baby teeth. The permanant tooth didn't show any problems.

I worked as a Dentists Assistant for 9 years, in my experience it could be internal bleeding which shows as gray thru the tooth; also possible trauma from the hit(basically the bruising you talked about) which unfortunately could end with an abcess, but only if the tooth starts hurting spontaneously, gets loose or a small, blister looking area grows around the area where the tooth protrudes from the gum above the affected tooth.

Hi S., this happened to my son a couple of years ago. He was running, fell down and bumped his mouth on the stairs. Shortly after his tooth began turning a dark gray color. The dentist said that the nerve was dead and that it should not affect the permanent tooth. However yesterday I noticed that he has what appears to be an abcess right above that darken tooth. So I will be calling our dentist today.

She needs to go to the dentist. I've seen this twice (nephew and a child at preschool) In both cases the tooth (in one case-both front teeth) was dead and needed to be pulled. Since they are baby teeth they will obviously be replaced eventually, but its hard to think a 3 yr old will have to go without a tooth until 6 or 7 when the permanent tooth comes in.

I used to be a dental assistant for a pediatric dentist. If the tooth is turning grey then is means that the nerves going to the tooth are dead. There were tons of kids that came in like that. They usually left it alone unless they saw an abcess. I'm not sure how hold your child is-but they usually leave it there so they don't have to go so long without a tooth. Also, the baby tooth being there-even though its dead-is saving room for the perm. tooth to come in. I would just watch it to make sure it does not abcess (will look like a little pimple on the gums). If you feel uncomfortable about it, I would just go ahead and bring her in. It should go fairly quick just to take an x-ray of it (depending on cooperation. I can just tell you from what I've experienced.

Good for you for being able to stay home with your kids. I had the same thing happen to one of my children. At their next checkup I asked the dentist about it. He said it no longer had a blood supply but it was ok until it fell out. Never abscessed but you will certainly want to keep an eye on it.

It sounds like it could be nerve damage. Take her to a dentist.

You don't say how old she is but I am assuming that since you have been with hubby for 7 yrs. that she is younger than that, also you say "both in school" so at least one of the children are not in school. If she is preschool age or younger then she needs to see a Pediatric Dentist. They are specialist in baby teeth. They usually put the kids to sleep to do any dental work. K went to one in OKC and I can't say enough about how wonderful the whole experience was. He also takes Sooner Care and he is so in tune with the kids.

Call a Dentist and ask them what they want to do.

1 / 3