What to Get My Daughter for Her 21St Birthday?

My daughter turns 21 later this year and I would like to get her something memorable. She will be away at college at the time. I asked her and she said all she wanted was money, ok I understand, she has worked every summer for years. On her 18th, I gave her the necklace that was given to me on her birth; now what?

On my 21st birthday, my parents wrote me a letter explaining the events that took place the day I was born, the feelings they had that day, how proud they were of the woman I'd become, etc. They got me something else but I can't recall what it was. The letter meant so much to me. I still have it to this day and will never forget it.

My mom gave me 20 small gifts (one each day leading up to my 21st) then a nice necklace & 21 $5 bills on my 21st. Each gift was different. I got a children's book (The Kissing Hand) that my mom wrote in, a cool clutch, fun ring (cheap, not expensive), photo album, cool shirt, couple of gift cards, etc. She wrote small sweet notes with each. I was off at college but she gave the gifts to my roommate and I got one each day.

How about your time? I was stumped on a gift for my 21-year-old too. And then I came up with the idea of spending a weekend with her in NYC. It was THE BEST thing! We had an amazing time and it was just the two of us and we made so many lasting memories. I also made a photobook for her of our time there, for something to keep and remember by. And you don't have to do it ON her birthday if she's in school. I took my daughter a month after her birthday because that's just when it worked out.

I asked my 18 yr old - she said $ and I'll be dammed! I wanted it to be something memorable too. I ended up buying her first piece of nice framed art. I bought a beautiful black and white flower painted on canvas. i figured it could go in all sorts of differant decors as her tastes change over time. She loved it. I know it'll go from her room to her 1st apartment, to her new home beautifully. But a week after her birthday she told me she needed her passport and didn't have the $100! I was so aggravated with! What better gift for an adventerous young lady than her passport! I could've gotten her a cute little carry on and make up travel case to go with it! what a brat.

If you have enough time, I think a photobook is a really memorable gift. The ones you order online and they print the picture directly on page, then you can add captions describing each picture. You could make a really thorough one starting with birth all the way thru to her 21st birthday. I would include pictures from every phase of her life from family functions to activities to all her school friends. I think they are better than just a normal photo album where the pictures end up falling out or the corners get bent. I also agree that a trip together would be awesome to if its in your budget!!

my mom gives a trip to her grandchildren for milestone birthdays & events. They get a trip at 13, at H.S. graduation, & for 21 &/or college graduation.

They all have wonderful memories of these trips.....so that's where my vote goes! & as a heads-up, my older son & eldest niece BOTH really enjoyed Las Vegas when they were 21. You can find great discounted rates/deals online. .....& they went together to New Orleans with my Mom when they graduated from H.S. !

If travel is out, then what about a trip to the casino & a girl's night out? Is there anything like that in your area? Oh, & I'm making these activity recommendations based on the fact that you've already given her jewelry!

I got a pair of crystal champaigne flutes for my 21st and loved it. It was the first 'grown up' thing I owned.

I am a minimalist and I actually dislike getting presents. I love the thought, but most of the things I receive, I don't like and have no use for. Money, for me, is the most sensible thing.

I went to Vegas for my 21st birthday, but we live 4 hours from there. When I was away at grad school, my parents sent me a check for $100 for my first birthday there. I went to WalMart and spent $78 of it on a fountain that I put in my living room, where there was always the relaxing sound of running water. You know what's funny? That is about the only birthday gift I can remember that my parents have given me - even though they would die, if they knew that.

Stick to the money....give her what she wants, otherwise, it will feel like you aren't listening to her. It's no fun receiving something they other person wants you to have, rather than what you want, even if it makes no sense to the giver. My parents wrote in the memo portion of the check: "Not for paying bills - only for something fun."

1 / 3