What to Buy a 21 Year Old Child?

My son is turning 21 soon. I would like to give him something memorable. I am willing to spend as much as $500. I'm purposely not telling you much about him because I would like some general ideas. Got any?

Great ideas everyone. Thanks. You have given me a few things to think about. I want it to be memorable. So I won't just give him money. A concert or a plane ticket maybe. Thanks Again!

Great concert tickets to his favorite band
Plane tickets for some place he's always wanted to go
Tickets for great seats to his favorite team

How about a t-shirt quilt? Use his old sports teams t-shirts, or vacation tees. Themed quilts are fun. Maybe his favorite pro teams, music tees, etc. I think they mean more if you use his old tees.

LOL I first read this title " WANT to buy a 21 year old child?" Ha!

I was going to say Ipad, but looks like its been suggested. (However keep in mind I heard an ipad3 is in the works) Good luck!

Gift card to the liquor store ;)

On a more serious note (because I WAS bring serious about the gift card), my baby brother got a really, really nice watch for his 21st from our parents and LOVES IT!! I never would have guessed him to be a jewelry guy, but he can't say enough about his new watch!!

Considering he is in college and this is one of his last years, maybe a weekend trip for him and a friend where you pay for the hotel and gas - maybe they go to Austin for the weekend and make your 500 plus what they bring stretch?
If he is NOT in college and is on his own he may appreciate a new TV or gaming system if he is into that or an Apple product (iPod, iPad, iPhone etc.) but if you enjoy being practicle I would split the funds up into 100 cash for fun, 100gift card for Food, 100 gift card for gas, 100 gift card for auto tune up (jiffy lube or kwik car), 100 gift card for his guilty pleasure (starbucks, dunkin donuts, whataburger, movies), 100 gift card for a utility payment or something like that. I loved getting random gift cards from family when I was on my own to pay for a bill or something - I knew they were thinking of me and reminding me to be practical and have fun at the same time.

I found when my kids turned 21 all they wanted was to hang out with their friends so my gift was to respect that and not nag them to do family stuff. My son went to Vegas so I gave him money as a gift to offset his costs. My daughter, argh, I can't remember what she wanted but I got that and shipped it to her school.

Really 21 is not a family birthday, they are adults! It is all about cutting the strings.

My son turned 21 last June. He has everything and it is hard to surprise him. He rented the Presidential Suite at the hotel (?) at Reunion Tower in Dallas. I did buy drinks, food, cups, napkins, plates, etc. and help him set up for his party. He only invited....21 friends! We bought him 21 gifts and made cute little tags numbered 1 through 21 and taped them to each gift. Some of the gifts were just little things that he needed...he just got a new car so some of the gifts were related to that, cologne, an engraved necklace that looks like a dog tag and has a couple of diamonds on it (he wears it everyday!!!!), 21 gold $1.00 coins in a black pouch, lottery tickets, etc. The rest of the gifts were the generic bday stuff. We paid toward his party. Like I said, he has all the material things that he wants and he is a minimalist, so it is hard to buy for him!

My son has already requested a "guys" trip to Vegas! No moms allowed!

I took our daughter to San Antonio for the weekend. Her best friend flew in and as did my two best friends (mom of her best friend is my best friend! and then my other best friend. We had a blast!

A picture collage would be nice. A trip?

I have to admit I half read this and thought it said When to buy a 21 year old child. LOL I laughed for a while...

I had same problem with my close nephew. Answers were all over the board. I think tickets, furniture, concerts... thats about it.

1 / 3