What to Do with Hamburger?

My kids are getting sick of chicken breast...it seems to be all I make. But the only few hamburger things we do are tacos, spaghetti and meatloaf...and the parents are sick of those! haha
any ideas?
ps...mom doesn't like pork, and we aren't vegetarian eaters either...

WOW~!!! you guys are great! a ton of ideas to try! We'll have a new menu for weeks! then I can throw a few chicken dinners in there and the kids won't complain that we "always" have chicken! Thanks so much!!!

I agree that www.allrecipes.com is a great site that I have used tons of times. But just off the top of my head what about a chili or goulash?

K.,

I LIVE by Kraftfoods.com. There are SO many quick & easy recipes. Even though I love chicken I hate touching raw chicken so I don't cook with it often, therefore I use ground beef all the time. You can search for recipes with ground beef and there are a TON. My recent favorite is called "one pot salsa beef skillet."

How about lasagna? Its a lot like spaghetti in flavor so the kids will like it but its more of a grown up taste. You could also try Spanish rice, stuffed peppers, goulash, or shepards pie. If you need recipes for any of them feel free to email me ____@____.com. I hope I've been of some help.

One of our favorite dishes is tatertot casserole.
It's super simple, brown burger and a small onion, put a can of cream of celery soup, a bag of frozen green beans (or your favorite vegi) the meat and onion and shredded chedder cheese in a 9x12 dish. On the top, put a layer of tatertots (I like to use the mini size) and then chedder cheese over that, bake at 450 for about 1/3 an hour (until the tatertots are done) and serve, great dinner, great leftovers!

Hmmmm,,,,I think I'll make this tonight!

There are so many good ideas here! I really like the enchilada flavored Hamburger Helper - make the mix and then fill enchiladas with it using some shredded cheese and a little enchilada sauce (for the adults)inside the tortilla and then cover them with more cheese and sauce (if desired). Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted. The kids love these.

I know you said you were tired of chicken, but here is a crock pot recipe that we just tried and the family loved it!

Creamy Cooker Chicken
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 cups sour cream
10 2/3 oz. can cram of mushroom soup
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Place all in slow cooker cook for 8 hours on low. Serve over rice or noodles

I've been trying to use my slow cooker more often and found this great blog site - A Year of Crock Pot Cooking.
http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Good luck! This is one of the hardest parts of my day, I think...trying to decide what to make for dinner!

My picky eaters love tater-tot casserole:

Brown 1 lb. hamburger, season w/ salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Layer tater-tots in the pan to cover completely. Mix 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup into the hamburger mixture with about 1/2 can of milk. Pour the hamburger soup mixture over the tater-tots, top with about 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for around 40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Enjoy!

These are two of my kids favorites that My hubby and I can actually tolerate.

We call them "souper" messy burgers.

Brown 1 lb of ground beef with 1/2 c of onion. Drain and add 1 can of Campbell's Cheddar cheese soup. Stir in 2T ketchup and 1/8 t pepper. Heat through and eat on hamburger buns. Serves 6 and basically a cheesy sloppy joe.

The other one is called "deep pizza casserole." Make velveeta shells and cheese according to the box. Put it in the bottom of a casserole dish. Brown gr. beef with onion, drain and stir in one can or jar of pizza sauce. Layer that on top of the shells and cheese. Sprinkle Mozzarella on top of that and any pizza topping you want. My kids only like pepperoni but olives and mushrooms would be good on top. Bake until the cheese melts and call it good. This is one I do off the top of my head so you may want to add seasonings of choice.

The thing I like about these is that they are relatively quick.

Enjoy.

Porcupine Meatballs. My mom made them for us and my kids like them, too. Here's a recipe I found online:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/meatballs/r/bl30202l.htm

We also buy deli roast beef, crusty rolls and a pkg of Aus Jus gravy for French Dips. I buy the beef very rare and heat it in the prepared sauce for a little final cooking. Doesn't overcook that way. My kids love these.

My kid think pancakes and eggs for dinner is the best treat ever!

Have a crock pot? Beef stew is warm & yummy in winter.

I make a little twist on taco's I use the hamburger & taco mix as usual, but then I take Grand's biscuits and flatten them out and put the taco mix with cheese inside and pinch them together and bake. Surprise, my kids loved it.

K.,

A few things you can do with hamburger is make homemade sloppy joes, brown a lb of ground beef, add chopped onion or onion powder, garlic powder, a 10 oz can of tomato soup, a 8 oz can of tomato sauce, a little brown sugar, a good squirt of mustard, and about a 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. Let simmer in frying pan or mix up and let simmer in crock pot all day. Good served on buns, but sometimes I will make it a little juicier than usual and add cooked pasta and shredded cheddar cheese, either way the kids love it! (its also great made with ground turkey or ground venison and the kids cant tell the difference)

Something else I do is buy hamburger when its on sale, and cook it in my crock pot. When its done I drain it on paper towels and freeze it in freezer bags, so when I want to make something the hardest part of browning the meat is already done.

You can add about 1 lb cooked ground beef to your crock pot and add about 1 cup cubed velveeta (more if you want it cheesier) When cheese is melted and everything is warm- serve on hamburg buns.

Another easy one is take cooked hamburger and prepared gravy, mix together until heated through, and eat over mashed potatoes,or pasta or rice, a little shredded cheese is good in this, and I will sneak in an extra veggie in the meat/gravy mixture too.

One last idea about the meatloaf. Have you ever cooked a meatloaf in your crock-pot? One really great recipe is to thinly slice peeled potatoes into the bottom of your crock pot until it is about half full (add chopped onions and salt) Then place the meatloaf mixture on top of the sliced potatoes and cook on low about 8 hours. Its very good.

Another thing I do with my meatloaf is make them into balls using a cookie dough scoop, place them on a cookie sheet and bake at about 350 degrees for 25-35 min depending on how big the meatballs are and how hot your oven gets. Then you can put whatever sauce you like over them. Its a nice change of pace.

one last idea for meatloaf is make them into patties and fry them like a hambuger, serve on a hamburger bun with cheese.

1 / 3