What to Bring for Camping?

Hi! We are going camping this weekend and I am looking for any suggestions on what to bring for food for ourselves and our children age 8 and 6. We have been camping many times before, but I am looking for something different, particularly in the way of snack foods. It doesn't have to be super healthy, but want something quick and easy and not complete junk food. We have been traveling so much recently I just don't have the energy to get into anything too complicated! Thanks for all the suggestions!

We use to love Banana boats when I was young. It is an old girl scout treat.

1 banana for each.. cut a oval in the middle of the top of a banana making it look like a kyak (however you spell it) taking out just a bit of the banana inside. Stuff with mini marshmellows and chocolate chips, wrap in tin foil and put in the hot coals of the fire for a little bit, letting the marshmellows and chocolate chips melt.

go back to the basics.... peanut butter&jelly , twinkies,ho ho's, etc.... grapes,hard boiled eggs, chex mix, tuna(and the may0), sloppy joe in the crock pot.melons(fruit you will eat),peanuts,cereal,
0 its fast food and you don't have to bring it back home!!!!! hope i was a little helpful B.

As an avid camper who has raised my now teenage/almost adult children as campers since their births, I may be able to give you some advice on what we do.
We always take crackers (like triscuits), chips, string cheese, cheese whiz in the can!, veggies, fruit, etc. The trick is how you store it. I go to the dollar store and pick up various sized zip loc bags. I use the gallon one's for storing larger items but you want to use the individual smaller sizes for kids snacks. First, because you can then control the portions of snacks AND its important for each child to have their own zip loc bag for multiple reasons - you then eliminate the tug of war issues of who holds the bag, and if you are camping in a sandy area you prevent sand and other debris from getting into your snack. Personally, I don't like dirt and sand in my own snack but if the kids like that - thats their choice (lol).
Another trick I've learned is how to take things like bread and chips and not have them smashed. Easy. I have a short but long clear tote that I put all of the smashable items in including things you don't want to get wet like toilet paper and paper towels.
I do have some quick food tips too. If you buy the breakfast skillet bags at Walmart (in frozen breakfast section, about $3.50) they have potatoes, onions, sausage, etc already in the bag and then buy a box of egg beaters. Mix them together in a skillet and you have instant breakfast with real food and it takes less than ten minutes. You can also buy fajita wraps and make this into breakfast burritos. It's quick, easy, inexpensive and you don't have to cut up all the ingredients and package them.
Hope this helps!

Snacks: dried fruit, chex mix, trail mix, sunflower seeds, peanuts in the shell, puppy chow....
When we get sick of the same-old hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats when camping, we bring chicken to cook on the grill/over the fire....

These are things we have done that work well.

Snacks: String cheese, cheese & crackers, granola bars, grahm crackers, trail mix, chex mix, peanut butter on bread, dried fruits, fresh fruits, veggies & dip, hard boild eggs.

Meals: Pasta (spagettie or mac & cheese), chili, hot dogs, baked beans, fruit, eggs, french toast, pancakes, sandwiches, hamburges, salads (pasta, potato, coleslaw), fajitas, bacon/sauage, soups, tuna noodle salad, instand oatmeal

Sometimes it's helpful to pre-cook things and reheat at the campsite. Chili we usually make ahead and freeze. Fajitas we precooked the chicken and cut up the veggies and then threw every thing on a griddle at the campsite.

Thinking back to a few backpacking trips. If your looking for snack food: Trail mix, jerkey, granola bars, things like that. They don't take much room and they're not too bad.

Food, prepackaged (dry-add water later) chicken noodle soup. Packaged oatmeal for breakfasts. (you can grill some spam to have on the side...it's actually really good). Raman noodles, you can also cut up grilled spam and add to that.

Of course backpacking we couldn't bring a cooler, so that's what types of food we brought.

If you're bringing a cooler you can add some fruit and vegetables, and sandwich meat, cheese, and fixings. Keep it simple for lunches and just do sandwiches..you can also premake a pasta salad or two.

J., hard boiled eggs are good, you can eat them as is, or make egg salad sandwhiches, we would have a big breakfast, hot usually , eggs bacon etc, then a sandwhich lunch, sandwhich , chips, drink , then we would cook dinner, but always loved oreos and milk on our camping trips, we all would sit around and just eat them and dunk them and good quality family time, so just enjoy life, and have a fun trip, D. s

If you have time; go online and look up "Camping Foods". We are big campers here and I like something different also. We do alot of the Boy Scout things, such as meal in foil and pudgy pies. Making eggs and bacon in a brown paper bag over a campfire is so much fun. We take veggies and granola or cereal bars for snacks. The library also has books with ideas for camping.

KimE

Hi J. -

We are campers ourselves and just came across a few ideas that we have loved this summer. You can google search campfire meals, too.

Pizza's - over campfire or on propane grill
Pocket Pitas
Sauce
Cheese and all of your desired fixings

Stuff fixings in the pocket pita with sauce and cover with cheese. Wrap in tinfoil and heat for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Tastes just like a pizza!

Tacos in a Bag - kids LOVE these
Taco meat
Cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.
Doritos - individual bags

Heat up your meat (I always cook it ahead of time and just heat it up in a pan). Toss meat in the bag with all of your fixings and eat right out of the bag! We have also cooked white rice and added black beans. Yummy!!!!

I prepare as much as possible before we go - like cooking the taco meat, etc. Also, I'll make up a noodle salad ahead of time to supplement with any meal. Ham sandwiches, PBJ, Salami with Cheese and crackers, etc.

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Trail mix is always good, you can make it any way you want by adding all your children's favorite cereals and candy pieces. Also, there is a version of it that you melt chocolate and peanut butter together and toss chex cereal in that and then coat with powder sugar. For some reason when my family goes camping we seem to always end up taking Cheeze-its, chips and salsa, or those sour dough pretzels, not to mention the very traditional smores components (chocolate, gram crackers, and marshmallow). Have fun camping!!

1 / 3