What Makes a Great Pediatrician

In an ongoing effort to make our pediatricians office a better place for the patients I thought I would come to the experts!
Can you all please tell me the things you LOVE about your Pedi office? The things you HATE (or even dislike) about your Pedi office? And finally, if you could create a dream office, what would it have?

I don't want names of Docs, I am just tryting to get an idea of what things we can do to improve our customer service.

If you don't want to pots your answers you can e-mail me at ____@____.com

Thank You!

Thank you everyone! We now have a PR person/Patient advocate in our office. She has a copy of what each of you has written. I will continue to give her all responses.
Thank you for your time in writing out these answers!

My big pet pevs are dirty floors and toys. If I am bringing my son in because he has a virus, I'm afraid he is going to catch another at the docs office. If he is well, I'm afraid he is going to catch something at the office.

Hi D.,

I like pediatrician office which offers the ff:

24-hr hotline numbers that can be reached when you have a question regarding a child's condition (emergency and non-emergency.)

Weekend schedules.

early morning schedule like 7am

kid friendly front desk personnels

Should provide appointment reminders

Should have this thing that numb the part of the body to be injected when giving shots to kids especially to babies.

What I love about my pediatricians office is the prompt service. I hardly ever have to wait very long to see the doctor or be called back to the room. With all the sick kids in the office I feel this is important because the less time spent their the less exposure to others germs. I don't know how they do it, because they always look swampt, but they do.

D.,

Thank you so much for caring about your office to make it the best that it can be. That is so refreshing! I wished more medical staff cared about their patients and wanted to know how to make their day a better one.
I would love a doctors office that ran smoothly. I know you laugh. I would appreciate to show up for my appointment and not have to wait an extra 1 hour to get in to see the doctor. In a perfect world the physician would be attentive to my needs and help to answer ALL of my questions. Most importantly Customer Service! If you have to be in the office for any length of time I want to feel comfortable in my surroundings. When you go out to dinner and your table is taking a lot longer than expected they offer you a complimentary drink and such. What would be nice is that the doctors office did the same. I have witnessed so many mom's running from one appt to another with their children in tow and are completely overwhelmed. The children are hungry and the mom is running on little to no octane. What would be great is when they showed up to the doctor's office knowing they could be there forever (LOL) a snack for the children (if appropriate) and some chamomille tea for the parent. The last thing is make it a great working environment for your staff ie doctors, nurses, support staff, ect... We the patients pick up on that. When you all are at ease, laughing, and smiling, that reflects on us. This will sound hilarious, but at 34 yrs old I have always been horrified of the dentist. Yes, childhood issues still waivering. BUT, my dentist office is absolutely a ball to go to. When you get to the front desk they are prepared for your arrival. The staff is all smiling. You will hear the occasional joke cracked. You may even pick up a new recipe for dinner, find a new church, or just meet a new friend. It has helped my fears of the big ugly dentist go by the wayside. Ok maybe not that far away, just not near as bad.

I hope that these ideas help you in your quest to make your office a better experience for your patients.

Dene'

Well, the first pediatrician I went to was awful. His office made all of his appointments at 8:30 a.m. and when you got there you would have to take a number and just wait. It was rediculous. I stopped going to him when I waited for 3 hours in his waiting room and still didn't get to see him. The times that I did get in, the pediattician was never there- it was always some really creepy old guy doctor.

I changed drs, and I'm happy with the one I have now. The things I don't like - the office looks horrible, like it hasn't been updated in forever. And sometimes whe I go in to see her, she seems rushed. I think a lot of doctors take on more patients than they can handle.... She does answer any questions I have, and I never have to wait for more than 15-20 minutes.

Oh, and the big thing - please return calls!!! The first dr I took my daighter to NEVER returned calls - NEVER!!!!!

For the doctor to really make an effort to bond with the child they are seeing. Taking the time to visit with the child before the exam and to make the exam fun. Also to listen to the parent and really value their input. That is what is most important. Having available after hours support is also important.

There are a lot of responses, but I thought I'd throw mine in anyway :)

I have 4 kids, ages 2, 5, 8, and 10. We have recently found our "forever" pedi - and he's not even a pediatrician! He's a Family Practitioner!

The thing we love most about him is the way he is so personal w/ all the kids and our family! He knows all of our names and always greets us and treats us like we're his favorite people, lol.

He is also aggressive (which I appreciate)when something is wrong. Like when my son was having stomach/bowel issues, he had him tested for Celiac Disease. I want a dr that is going to see a bunch of "little" symptoms, and realize that they're all related (if, in fact they are). Someone who can connect the dots. I want a dr who is agressive when it comes to something wrong w/ my kids, not someone who will say, "Lets see if it will go away".

I also truly appreciate how he respects me as my childrens Mother - meaning he respects that my childrens medical care is my decision. I appreciate that when something is wrong w/ my children, he gives me my options and asks "What do you want to do?" He will always give me his opinion when asked, but always respects what I choose, he trusts that as their mother I know when something is or isn't wrong with them. He is very respectful of the fact that we have chosen not to vaccinate our youngest child b/c of his allergies - he has always left that my choice.

He is also respectful of our choice to homeschool. I have been to more than one dr who has told me I "need to put my kids in school" -- I didn't appreciate nor solict their "opinion". I appreciate a dr who is respectful of the way we choose to raise our family.

While waiting isn't fun - I don't mind having to wait for our dr (which we rarely do). I'll wait if that's what it takes to see our doctor. I appreciate that the office has extended and weekend hours.

One thing I do not like is that when I call w/ a question, I have to leave a message and wait for a return phone call. There are times I don't mind speaking w/ the nurse when my call is returned, but sometimes (if it's serious) I'd rather speak to the dr.

Clean office, separate well child and sick child waiting areas, able to get you in quickly for same-day sick child appointments, good after-hours communication and follow-up, realizes that your child's health is a PARTNERSHIP between parent and pediatrician...no unilateral decisions or intimidation on part of pediatrician regarding medication, timing of immunizations, etc. for your child. Office staff really make pediatrician. I left a GREAT pediatrician because I had no access to the pediatrician because of the office staff. They were unprofessional, didn't seem to be able to think creatively / problem solve (i.e. didn't know how to triage situations) and were unwelcoming when you came to the office. I think that a good relationship between pediatrician and parent can occur when a pediatrician can appreciate that a parent is the expert on his/her child and the parent can appreciate that the pediatrician is the expert in medicine and then, each party actively listens and receives that expertise. (of course, we are assuming we have a competent parent and a competent pediatrician in this scenario!!!! Ha!)

Hi D.,

Weekend schedules.

early morning schedule like 7am

kid friendly front desk personnels

Should provide appointment reminders

Parenthood is the best training ground for a good pediatrician. And remembering us from one visit to the next.

As far as the physical setup of the office, our pediatrician has their scale set in this thing with a big giraffe cut-out, so the kids actually push and shove to be the first to get weighed and measured (as opposed to peeling them off of me to stand on the traditional scale set-up).

The separate well-room is nice, but a bit pointless when you have to stand in the sick room waiting to sign in. At our old pediatrician's office the kids would be rubbing elbows with sick kids and swapping germs while I was signing in (which, by the way took FOREVER because you had to fill out your whole name, address, phone, insurance info EVERY SINGLE TIME you went in -- a ridiculous policy). Typically every well visit was followed by a sick visit a week or so later.

1 / 3