What Is Your Experience W/a YMCA Membership?

We (husband and I) are thinking of getting a full family membership to either the Birmingham or South Oakland YMCA. If anyone has or has had a membership, I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

In a nutshell, I am looking for a place I can take a variety of beginner fitness classes (Zumba, salsa, water fitness, etc.) while my 2 1/2 year old daughter is cared for onsite by nice people for an hour or so at a time- maybe 3 times a week. Plus my husband wants to take swim lesson w/my daughter (they have been taking them at the Troy Community Center, but we thought they could switch to where ever we get a membership). We live in Madison Heights.

We are members at North Oakland YMCA and the staff there are great. Swim lessons for kids are rarely full - last time we made up 2 of the 3 kids taking class so great teacher kid ratio. The lessons I have done have been good too. The gym is not too full and not full of gym bunnies but normal looking people...!They let you pay a retainer (I think 75% off) if you know you are not going to be going for a month so that saves money. Only downside for us is no outdoor pool but the indoor one is nice and clean and has a slide and sprinklers for the kids

South Oakland YMCA is great. My sons did their Summer Day Camp for several years. We have a family membership. Since I work in Farmington Hills, my sons attend the Farmington YCMA Summber Day Camp. It's been a great summer for them.

You should join, your family and you will be glad you did!!!

Hi Angela,

We have been members at the B'ham Y for the past 4 years. I was also a member when I was a kid...over 30 years ago, yikes!

I love this place. The people are always very friendly. They have a great child and will have older kid care that's open 6 days a week.

They have great group exersize programs for any level.

The wellness center is a bit smaller than you would find at other clubs, but they have most every machine. There are at times wait times for some of the cardio during busy hours, usually saturday mornings or the mon-fri five o'clock rush. The trainers, although I haven't used them are always energetic, friendly and creative with training their clients. You often see them outside if the weather is nice, which I think is great.

The facility itself is a bit older than other clubs, but overall I wouldn't go anywhere else.

My best friend is a trainer at the YMCA in Auburn Hills and he has several friends at the Birmingham YMCA and he is thinking about moving there bc he feels that the people who work there care more about their job and the people who come to their facility. He always says what a great facility it is and how is clean and people are friendly and even tho I dont have a membership at a YMCA I thought that Id throw that info out :o) I do know that if you are looking for a person trainer at all that Josh is supposedly great, he is a great mentor of my friend! Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for!

I am currently a program member at the Royal Oak YMCA and I LOVE it! They have the best Pilates classes around town as they are divided into "levels" so you don't have people who are accomplished and have been doing it for years and years with the people like me that are brand new. Very incremental program that doesn't get people hurt, but keeps moving them up toward new things.

There is a gal in my class who has little kids and they have the family membership. She takes full advantage of the kids dance classes and swim lessons and has told me how much cheaper they are than the "dance studio" classes and she thinks, even better!

Enjoy.

I am a member of the South Oakland YMCA and I am hapy with it, BUT I do have a word of caution. I was a member at Lifetime and loved the classes there. I moved to the Y because it is right by my house and I thought it was a lot cheaper. After I joined I realized that the classes that I want to take require you to pay an additional fee. There are a few free classes offered, but not a lot. The classes are not expensive, but if you cannot go at the some time every week it is a little inconvenient. I like having the ability to drop in to a class at the time that is convenient for me that day.

My one word of caution is to check the scchedule and class fees before you commit.

I'm glad I joined the Birmingham Y (even though I don't use it nearly enough). I've always felt completely comfortable dropping of my 6 month old in their daycare. In fact of friend of mine use to work at that location and assured me that the daycare staff were really really good. They are all CPR certified and seem to love working with the kids.

Good Morning A.,

Well my family and I are members of the Boll YMCA downtown Detroit. WE LOVE IT! The staff is very friendly and we feel safe when they are watching our son. The swim classes are great as well...they have very good instructers. I am taking a Kick-boxing class right now and I am truly getting a work out.

I can't say anything about the suburb Y's but the Downtown Y is a winner for us.

1 / 3