Weight Loss Immediately After Giving Birth

I am a first-time Mom, 28 weeks along. Im having a hard time adjusting to my new body and want to know what it will be like after I give birth. Im curious to find out how much weight women have lost immediately after giving birth, and how long did it take to lose all of the weight. Thanks!

I got a lot of great responses to this and I thought I would follow up on what happened. I dont know how much weight I gained EXACTLY but I think it was between 30-35 lbs during my pregnancy. A couple days after I delivered, I wore "a belly bandit"-one of those bands on my stomach. About 3 weeks later I fit into my old jeans, but didnt look as good as before! My sons about 7 weeks old now and I have been exclusively breastfeeding. I eat really good and drink a lot of water...I didnt exercise right away because I could barely walk or use my abdominal muscles to stand up for a while! I would like to lose about 5 more lbs but Im pretty happy my body. I owe it to breastfeeding-drinking a lot of water-the belly bandit- and not eating any sweets, fast food, or fried food. Thanks for all the feedback

I lost 15 pounds right away and it took me about 7 months to lose the other 10. Ugh. Since the weather is getting nice, just take a brisk stroll around the neighborhood a few times a week to start!

I think it varies from person to person. I understand adjusting while pregnant. I hated the fact that I was not in control. I was so use to running 3 miles everyday and doing weights. I did continue doing some lite running and weight lifting but the bigger I got the harder it was to keep up.

After my csection, I woke up and everything was still there. I thought everything would be gone. I was wrong. I walked EVERY day at the same time for 30 minutes with my daughter in tow. It was nice to get out of the house. In 3 months, I had lost all but 5 lbs. Also, by 3 months, I had just gotten back to running. I was pretty hard core but that is not saying my body was back to what it was.

I got everything back to what it was at 9 months except for my stomach. My daughter is now 15 months old and I am still working on getting my stomach tight. I work out every morning at 5:00 a.m.

hi, S., i am a thin type and weighed 105 lbs. and was 5'7" when i got pregnant. i gained 55 pounds! i loved the extra weight and finally had perfect legs! anyway, i lost a lot of weight after delivering and i think it was from breast feeding. after one year of breast feeding i had to stop because i was getting too skinny again. many probably dont breast feed for a whole year but i am guessing that that is the best way to lose weight. :-)

Well, #1.) ignore all the Hollywood pictures of celebrities dropping down to a size 2 two weeks after giving birth. I have no idea what kind of prescription drug & enema combination they're doing to get that... Definitely unrealistic... Forget about that... We don't have personal trainers, and chefs to cook our zero-fat meals, and nannies to watch the baby, while we do marathon 3 hour workouts--thank goodness, because no one is taking our picture when we venture out to the grocery store 3 weeks after giving birth!

My doctor told me that I should not even consider dieting or weight loss until 12 months after giving birth. Your body needs a year to adjust its hormones and functions back to normal, without putting it in a starvation mode due to dieting.

I have a friend who lost her pregnancy weight 6 months after birth. She regrets it because she says the weight was lost in "all the wrong places" but not necessarily in her middle/tummy (aka: she says she lost the curves of her boobs and butt).

For me, I did not diet but I absolutely avoided all fast food/junk food and anything made with corn syrup. And that was a hard line to tow, because when you're tired and sleep deprived, quick food sources look like the best idea. But I really didn't want that type of food in my body or in my breastmilk. I also breast feed for as long as I could (10 months) and would have gone longer but my daughter self-weened... (Breast feeding is a great way to lose the pregnancy weight!) I weighed 126 before pregnancy; right before birth, I weighed 176 (that includes the baby, the water retention, and all the midnight pregnancy ice cream cravings). I dropped to 155-ish in the weeks after birth but was around a size 16 (still was wearing my pregnancy jeans); and then over the next 12 to 14 months, I went through a size 14, size 12, size 10... size 8, size 6... (those were a little longer to get to than the first few sizes). I am now 127. I know I went through those sizes about every 8-10 weeks-- because I was working and every 2.5 months I hit Target for cheap work clothes because my job required me to keep my wardrobe towards a certain appearance (otherwise I would have stayed in baggy sweat pants the whole time! lol!). (And no, I didn't exercise; I would have liked to, but honestly I was too busy juggling a baby, FT work, my husband and sleep deprivation!)

Also, I was mentally motivated to lose the extra weight, not because of body image but because my physical frame had a hard time carrying it. I don't have great knees and ankles, and carrying those additional 20-30 lbs were really hard on my joints, especially when repeatedly walking up the stairs in our house. ugh!

You will lose weight (assuming you eat well and avoid alcohol). However keep in mind that it took your body 10 months to build a baby and accumulate all the calorie resources it needed to do that AND to support your initial breast feeding needs. You should give your body at least the same amount of time to let the weight go.

Hi S., don't worry about the weight at this time. You need to make sure you eat healthy during the pregnancy and think about the weight later. I am in my late 30's and have a 16 month old. I was also concerned about the weight, especially since I was having a child later in life and do not have the metabolism I once had. I put over 50 pounds on during the pregnacy and lost 20 pounds immediately and then a little extra every month. I actually lost 60 pounds and lost several sizes in the year. I am smaller now than before I got pregnant - I know every one is different, but I believe one thing that helped me tremendously was nursing my son. Moreover, I exercised a little - mostly walking and of course waiting the 6 weeks after birth. Good luck

Every body system is different. Don't judge your body by what someone else's body does. Some persons leave the hospital looking like they did when they entered and some leave looking like they did before they got pregnant. Having just gotten out of the Army, your body is most likely in pretty good shape with good muscle tone. Just do what the doctor recommends and don't rush anything because you could mess up something inside. If you've been on a restricted diet, don't go crazy eating all the things you've had to avoid. Good diet and proper exercise will get you back in shape.

I think this is something that most women struggle with.
Each woman's body is different. Just out of the Army, you likely are in much better shape than the vast majority of pregnant women. Just a guess.
As another mom said, your body is working for months to nourish this life inside you. Give yourself at least that long to get it off again.
I was 23 when #1 was born...30lbs gained, 15 lost at birth, the last 15 came off over the course of about 11mos. Thanksgiving and Christmas were in there :-) I breastfed her for 2.5yrs
I was 26 when #2 was born...32lbs gained, 17 lost at birth, remaining lost over the course of a year. He is still nursing.
I am now 28yrs old and expecting #3. I figure it will be about the same this go around.
Has my stomach every looked the same as it did before? Absolutely not. How could it? But I (did) fit into my pre-pg clothes comfortably in the time I said.

Certainly not the best reason to nurse, but nursing does help a lot of women lose weight after giving birth. It does use up calories. However, a nursing mom of a newborn should remember that she is still eating for TWO. This little person is totally reliant on you to provide nourishment. Breast milk is the absolute best way to do this - and no organization disputes this (even the formula companies).
Eat healthful - now and after the baby is born.
Exercise.
It will come off.

HTH -- and if you have any questions for me about what I said, or about breastfeeding, please email me

K., mama to
Catherine, 5y
Samuel, 2y
EDD Sept '09

S.,

I too had body Issues and weight gain during pregnecy. Just remember you are eating for 1 & 1/4 not 2. Maintain an exercise routine, I walked like a feend. I lost about 10 lbs right after baby (He weighed 6lbs 10 oz) but he rest of the weight came off pretty qickly (I only gained 25 lbs). But your whole hip structure changes to accomidate baby and that takes a while to go back. What I mean is the weight will come off but the same cloths may not fit for 6mo-1yr. I was quite a bit older then you (28) when I had my 1st so you may bounce back quicker. My only advice is take good care of yourself while you are carring that precious little one. Being pregnant is not a licence to over eat!!!

Best of luck

A. M

Good morning Stacey,

I am sadden that you are going through this during such a precious moment in life. I know all the changes are overwelming. I became pregnant at 23 and had my son at 24. I did only gain about 25lbs and within 4-6 months I have to say I was smaller than before I was pregnant with no exercise and I could of sworn the weight was going to "stick" I would say I averaged 125-130 prior to pregnancy however I was a single mom and believe the role of that helped me to loose more...breast feeding is a HUGE factor, it helps your stomach to retract down to it's normal size, I strongly advise more so for God's purpose (health of your baby)
I had a second child at 26 and gained around 50lbs and yes, that was more of a struggle...it took closer to a year for that to shed again I didn't work out really but eventually it came off, not all..I mean I wasn't a size 2 like after Styhlor however I had gotten down to a size 5/6 as I was prior to my first pregancy. To be honest, I don't know if you are spiritual but God didn't put us on the eart for mirrors... there is so much more to life than that and should you have a loving husband, he will love you regardless, not to say let yourself go and I know you wouldn't due to your harsh concerns however don't stress so much when the baby comes, take it all in, the miracle of life. You will be so busy with your new duties as a mom it is really easy to fall into depression expecially if you are so concerned about your weight first and formost. Place priorities on your life...what is REALLY important, get outside with your new little life and walk the neighborhood...there are many ways you can take your child to explore the world while being active yourself. I'm not sure if this was inspiring at all...I just really hope you thoroughly embrace life...it will go by SO fast as they all say and the newborn may not allow much sleep but I tell you...you will want those "simple" moments back when your chasing your 1 year old around...discipling your 2 year old, trying to convince your 3 year that they don't rule the world, etc. In every one of the trying times, always remember they are precious and should be treated as so... I am guilty of not treating my child mainly my first the way he deserved. I was too harsh, he was challenging, however I know today is the first day of the rest of my life and it is never too late to change and whatever you do .... DO IT FOR THE LORD OUR GOD. Rest in Christ! it's the only way :)

Lord Bless

I hear that every woman is different. With all 3 of my children, I lost 30 pounds in the first month. It didn't come off all at once, but throughout the 4 weeks following the birth of each of my children. I breast fed all 3 of my kids, at least for the first 2 months. It helps to drink a lot of water, especially if you're breastfeeding. Of course, that first 30 pounds was due to baby, baby fat, water, etc (from pregnancy). I alsohad some fat to lose just from eating more than I should have. That took a little longer to lose. With my second baby, my mother in law gave me some literature from Weight Watchers, that helped me lose weight. It showed the point allowances for a nursing mother, under the weight category I was in. It also came with information on point values for most foods. I highly suggest the Weight Watchers program. I am on it right now, 11 weeks after giving birth to my third baby. I lost the initial 30 pounds within the first month after he was born, and I have already lost almost 15 pounds after that. I am trying to take the weight loss slow -- no more than 2 pounds per week. You don't want to go too fast, if you're also breastfeeding. I could lose more weight each week, but I'd lose the quality and quantity of my milk supply. If you are breastfeeding, aim at losing the weight slowly - - only up to 2 pounds a week. It's worth it go slow with the weight loss for so many reasons: 1 - you want to keep your milk supply (if you're breastfeeding), 2 -it seems much easier to lose the weight (slowly) while breastfeeding (you have a higher point allowance). I don't follow the point targets religiously, but I use them as a guideline. If I followed them closely, I might lose too much each week. Good luck, and it sounds like you're already pretty motivated!

1 / 3