Have I Gained Too Much and Should I Be Worried?

So I gained about 16 lbs my first trimester and it freaked me out. I am an athlete that has always worked out and I eat healthy most of the time. My first trimester was over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday, which contributed to the quick weight gain, but it still has me nervous. I am now almost 19 weeks, and have stabilized at a total weight gain of 16-17 lbs, but I still think that sounds pretty high for 19 weeks. Any insight? I started out at 130 lbs which is about 5 lbs heavier than my normal weight and so now I weigh 146. I am 5 foot 7 inches. Please give me any insight as to what I can do, or if I should even be worried. Thanks.

Bri

I'm 5'6" and started my pregnancy at 120 lbs. I totally wanted to keep the weight gain to 25 lbs. HA! At the end of my pregnancy I weighed in over 160! All throughout I made sure that I ate good, healthy food and kept walking our doggies, but I was just hungry all the time. I didn't have any cravings; I was just so hungry! My son was 7 lbs 15 oz when he was born. Honestly, after having him I was able to walk off the weight in no time. We just started walking anywhere and everywhere we could possibly go, miles and miles. I'm sure you'll be fine. Eat right and stay active as much as possible. Pregnancy is so awesome - enjoy every minute of it!

Hi Bri
I just wanted to say that I have three (awesome) kids and I gained about 50 lbs with each of my pregnancies. I am 5'8 and also an athlete (I grew up as a competitive swimmer and I love to run and dance). I ate pretty much what I wanted during my pregnancies and I recommend that you do too. Give yourself a break during this time. Just say "yes" to yourself and trust that you will be fine. I breast fed my kids and got back in shape by walking and doing some light weight training. I was almost 30 years old when my first was born, and was bikini ready by the time Nicolas was 9 months old. (I had a goal you see - we were going camping on the beach in Baja so I started an aerobics class when Nicolas was about 5 months old). I'm 45 years old and still look slim and sexy - :) I hope that my little story helps you feel more free to enjoy your pregnancy.

Don't let it worry you. I believe that every body is different and responds differently to pregnancy. I have had 2 kids and gained ALOT with each. the first time I didn't try at all to be careful and gained 65 pounds. The second time I decided to excercise, eat very carefully, and it saved me about 7 pounds difference. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have tried so hard. If you and the baby are healthy, that's all that matters. The weight is very secondary. Enjoy!

MOMMA!!! Its so ok. I think every woman is worried about how much weight she gains. As long as you are making sure you have a mostly heathly diet YOURE FINE!!!

Im 5'5" and with my first, I only gained 8 pounds the first 6 months. BUT in the last three months, I gained 44 more. With my second, I very steadily gained 80 something pounds. The baby only weighed 6 pounds, lol.

Since your hubby just finished medical school, can you look in his books for some professional reassurance?

CONGRATULATIONS momma!

Yes! make sure you are very worried ,,, best to be worried about everything during this amazing time in your womanhood :) JOKE!

I have had 5 kids, gained about 50 pounds with each, and lost all of it and then some in less than 3 months with out diet or excercise.( cant even spell it)

The solution is BREAST FEED ! This is why you gain so much weight, just in case you deliver in the dessert, you will have a full pantry for this little new life :)

ps. drink a lot of fresh carrot juice, it will help get rid of that exhausted feeling.

Love H.

Congratulations on getting pregnant! Since it took a few years to get pregnant, I think as long as you're eating a healthy diet and getting moderate exercise then I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain. Since you're an athlete, you'll be able to bounce back after your pregnancy. Just be thankful that it happened. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

I'm about your size- 125, 5 foot 7. I gained 40 lbs and of that, 28 in the first 5 months. Lost it all. Just go with it and don't worry. It's the one time you shouldn't worry about that at all and after you have the baby you'll kick yourself that you did.

I am also 5 7 and started out at about your weight and gained 42 pounds with my daughter who weighed 7 11 at birth. After delivery I nursed hoping it would help me lose weight, yea right!! Didn't work. Lost some weight and got pregnant with #2 which were 25 months apart(great spread by the way!). Gained 30 some with him-he weighed 9.5!! and had a vaginal birth. When all was said and done I started working out 3 times a week and went to WW and lost it all! Don't worry about it-enjoy yourself in moderation of course!

1 / 3