Weaning and Gaining Weight Afterwards

Will i gain wieght when i stop brestfeeding? My daughter is 17 months and I'v started weaning.

Hello! I breastfeed both of my children until they were about 15 to 18 months. I didn't gain any weight.

you will have to watch how much you eat afterwards. Breastfeeding uses about 500 calories per day so you'll just have to consume that much less. But with a 17 month old, I imagine you'll be running A LOT! :) it's not bad. My son has been weaned for 1.5 years and i'm still 10 lbs below my prepregnancy weight.

Hi A.
Congrats on BF this long! To answer your question - you will gain weight if don't follow a diet that you were on before pregnancy and BF. With BF, your body needed a few extra calories because you burned about 500 calories a day exclusively BF. When you wean, your body's needs will go back to the way it was before pregnancy. Following the food pyramid will help you take in your daily needs. This is what happens, unless of course you're blessed with an incredible metabolism. But if you're like most of us, following a decent diet and getting exercise will help you from hopefully not gaining excess weight.
I hope this helps.

PJ

Hi A..
The smallest I was since high school is when I nursed. When I weaned, I unfortunately put the weight back on. I guess it depends on your activity level as well. My job is a sit down job, so hard to get much exercise.
Good for you for nursing so long. I think that is so awesome! My weaned themselves at about 14/15 months.
bless you.
W.

After I had my 3rd period, a bunch of fat just melted away like nothing. I'm now pulling out pants I couldn't fit into before I got pregnant.

I gained a lot of weight when I weaned my first son. I was a milk producing machine (about 60 oz a day)so I was able to eat over a thousand extra calories a day and still weigh 15 lbs less than I did before getting pregnant. I got used to being able to eat any and everything so I had a hard time watching my diet after weaning.

I'm nursing my six week old second born now and already weigh five pounds less than I did before getting pregnant. But I plan to begin the south beach diet when I wean (which probably won't be for another 18 months).

I guess if you watch your diet you might not gain weight. But I have always struggled with my weight and the only time I was my ideal weight was when I was breastfeeding.

I've always lost weight after weaning. From my experience, your body holds on to some "fat stores" while you are breast feeding, and i remember losing about 5-10 lbs after weaning. Although, i have always tried to eat healthier, I'm sure that it also has something to do with what you're eating. Good luck!

Your appetite will drop, so adjust your eating accordingly and you will be fine. Just keep in mind that when you're nursing full time, you are using an extra 500-600 calories a day (way more than is needed during pregnancy), so just eat that much less when you stop nursing.

Actually, I lost weight after weaning. The extra weight that I was storing for breastfeeding just slid right off and within a couple of months, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Good luck!

Pay attention to your caloric intake. Breastfeeding burns about an extra 300 calories a day. Bear that in mind while you wean, arm your self with healthy snacks as you get used to taking in less food.

Walking with the Stroller is a great way to combat the gain. Even just a short 15-20 minutes per day will make a difference.

P

1 / 3