Unspoiling a Spoiled Child!

Well I'm starting to think that my 7 month old daughter is beginning to be extremely spoiled. I will put her down to play at her table (that she loves) She will be okay for about 2 minutes, then come crawl to my legs to stand up and put her arms up so I will pick her up and carry her around. She doesn't want to be away from me! It's driving me nuts b/c I'm a SAHM and I can't get things done around the house! I mean I am nearby but she always want to be carried, I try to just let her sit there and cry out but I get fed up with it and give in. How Do I keep her from wanting to be carried ALL the time?

(speaking of which she just came up to me and wants me to carry her HELP!)

I say slow down and savor the moment that soon will be gone. Soon enough she will be on her way all about not wanting to be held at all.

she is to young to be spoiled, I also have a 7 month old daughter and two older boys, I raerly get anthing done, BUT she will be big so soon.
She is probably beging her seperation anxiety, I would put her in a sling or carrier and see what you can do around her, that is how I get the little done that I do, or I just let her cry for the 5 minutes it takes to start laundry and well never get it folded. She will grow out of it, and ignoring her will actually make it take longer.

Have you tried a sling or a Baby Bjorn or something like that? Then she can have you near and you can work (though at an admittedly slower pace).

Don't worry, she's not spoiled, just overwhelmed with the info coming into her brain from the world. Think of it as if someone had dropped you in the middle of a foreign country with absolutely no resources and you only know 1 person - that's your daughter! ; )

I have a 10 month old who went through that phase. It's normal, but exhausting, of course. He still wants to be held sometimes, and he's 31" and 27 lbs (the size of a 16 month old!) I have the ERGO baby carrier, which you can wear on the front, hip, or back, and I usually piggy-back him if he really needs to be held. I've vacuumed, cooked, dusted, straightened up, etc. with him on my back, no problems. I love the thing and he's a happy camper.

I don't think she's spoiled. She just wants to be with you. Both my boys were(and are-I have a 7 month old, too) like that. With my older son, I would put him on the floor with some toys he liked and stay in the room, but let him play alone for as long as he would which wasn't long at first. As time went by, he would play for longer amounts of time even when I left the room. But I did carry mine around alot!! My 7 month old weighs 26 lbs. and my now almost 4 year old never wants me to hold him which I sometimes miss. So do the housework when she naps and enjoy her. She'll never be this age again.

From the experience of a woman who raised 96 kids through a home daycare...my mother said to me,when my daughter was doing that,let her.She needs to be assured that you love her it is normal and it is a need babies have!!In the link below you will find all kinds of books to understanding your childs needs!! She loves you so much and wants you to hold her and this is a great sign that she is normal and she trusts you!! You are doing a great job with her...Keep it up!! Feel free to e-mail me anytime!

--M. (____@____.com)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-###-###-####-###...

Your daughter is at the age where they experience seperation anxiety. It is normal for them to be clingy because of it. I know it can be frustrating to not get things done, but remember that she will only be a baby for a little while. She will grow out of this phase when she can get around more and will start being independent as she gets into toddler-hood. I was always one to hold my babies whenever they wanted it and it seemed to give them much needed security as they have grown up. I guess what I'm trying to say is, try to keep things in perspective and remember that you are a stay at home mom, because you want to be with your baby; not to have a clean house. Good luck and hang in there. Children are not dependent forever! :)

She's not spoiled, she's just a baby! They want to be within sight of you and as close to you as possible. What helped me tremendously (I would've gotten nothing done around my house without it!!) was to carry my little one in a sling. One website to check out is www.hotslings.com There's so many different types of slings out there, you can find a ton on the internet if you just do a search.

Good luck & welcome to the SAHM world.....it's a much busier place than most new mommies ever imagined!

:-) H.

You can't spoil a child that young. What you can do is buy yourself a sling so you can go about your day with arms free.

Trust me, there will come a day when she won't let you hold her. For my babes, it was when they began to walk ~ 11 months with my son and 10 months with my daughter. You should cherish this time.

WITH THAT SAID.....

you have to draw boundries and giving in to her whining is teaching her to throw fits to get what she wants. Have a huge snuggle fest and shower her with attention before you clean house. Try not to do too much in a stretch of time. Maybe instead of telling youself "I want to do the dishes", tell yourself, "I want to unload the dishwasher", then giver her your undivided attention. Then, when she has her fill of Mommy time, Tell yourself, "I am now going to load the dishwasher". Also, try one-a-month bulk cooking to save time during dinner. Wear her in a backpack while you vacuume. (My kids love to ride ON the vacuume!!) Also, learn to keep things basic. Put toys in bins out of reach and allow only one bin at a time. Kids get overwhelmed easily and this keeps the toys new and exciting (also referred to as rotating toys).

Being a stay at home mom is not a cake walk. It is the hardest job in the world. Just don't sweat the "small" stuff!! Normally, moms with really clean houses either have a maid, have easy kids, or use the tv as a babysitter.

All the best, L.

1 / 3