32 answers

Swallowing Money

This morning my 3yr old ate a penny. She seems fine no stomach ache or anything of that nature. I need advice on what to do. Should I wait till it passes or take her to the doctor. Any advise on this will be helpful. Thanks

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I know you are worried, as I would be also. Maybe this will make you feel better. My niece swallowed a quarter and told her mom at bed time that she wanted to go to her grandma's house...her mom kept asking why and finally my niece said...bc I did something I will be in trouble for. So she finally fessed up to her grandma on the phone that she swallowed a quarter. My sister in law rushed her to the hospital where they did x-rays and didn't find anything...so at this point we were wondering if it was even true. Finally, the doctor told her to just watch her stools and not to worry unless she pooped out two dimes and a nickel...! 2 whole days later...out came the quarter...and she is perfectly fine...5 years later!

1 mom found this helpful

Wait it out, it will pass. I work at a psychiatric hospital (where adults swallow lots of things)and we don't get excited about money. Batteries, yes. Coins, no. Watch her poop and wait for it to pass.

1 mom found this helpful

You've probably had the same advice from others,however when I am in doubt or have a question about things my children do that frighten me I call the pediatrian. My 2 1/2 year old son ate deodorant about a month ago. We called poison control and then the pediatrian. The pediatrian usually puts my worry to rest.
M. M

More Answers

I did that as a kid. Now, as a grown up with kids, I would advise to call the pedi.

When I was little and did it, my doc told my mom to just check my stools to make sure it passed.

(Yep, it's sometimes gross to be a mom)

1 mom found this helpful

Wait it out, it will pass. I work at a psychiatric hospital (where adults swallow lots of things)and we don't get excited about money. Batteries, yes. Coins, no. Watch her poop and wait for it to pass.

1 mom found this helpful

I know you are worried, as I would be also. Maybe this will make you feel better. My niece swallowed a quarter and told her mom at bed time that she wanted to go to her grandma's house...her mom kept asking why and finally my niece said...bc I did something I will be in trouble for. So she finally fessed up to her grandma on the phone that she swallowed a quarter. My sister in law rushed her to the hospital where they did x-rays and didn't find anything...so at this point we were wondering if it was even true. Finally, the doctor told her to just watch her stools and not to worry unless she pooped out two dimes and a nickel...! 2 whole days later...out came the quarter...and she is perfectly fine...5 years later!

1 mom found this helpful

You've probably had the same advice from others,however when I am in doubt or have a question about things my children do that frighten me I call the pediatrian. My 2 1/2 year old son ate deodorant about a month ago. We called poison control and then the pediatrian. The pediatrian usually puts my worry to rest.
M. M

Does your doctor have a nurse that you can call and speak with? I know whenever I'm not sure whether or not I need to actually come in for a visit I call first and she directs me. I wouldn't go to an ER, as this is not an emergency.

Just check all poop until you find it. :) If you don't find it, then it will definitely require the Dr.

Good luck and happy searching!
Amanda

When I worked in the E.R. all the doctors would advise to check to make sure that it passes. An x-ray at this point will only show the penny in her belly. If it doesn't come out after a week you should take her in to be seen.

I'd just wait until it passes on its own. One of my kids swallowed a quarter once. I just had him watch for it in the toilet. He was AMAZED when it passed.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.