Stain Removal Woes

I am having a huge problem trying to get stains out of my kids clothing. For a few years I have sworn by the Dawn dish soap and Oxyclean paste on a stain and that worked wonders! Now it seems that it doesn't work at all! I use Melaluca laundry soap and I tried using their stain removal product but I am so disappointed with it I am going to send it back! I have also tried Sol-u-Mel with the same results. Does anyone have a tried and true remedy that gets out dirt, spaghetti sauce, berry stains and all those other hard to dissolve stains? I am at my wits end and am tired of throwing away hopelessly stained clothes. Thank you!
****Edit -About the Pre-Spot.....how long do you have to let it sit? I have let it sit for at least 24 hours every time I have used it. I have put it directly on fresh stains, reapplied after 24 hours and let it soak again! Nothing works.

Thank you all so much! I have so many new things to try! I have to laugh because of the bib suggestions. I have huge bibs for my daughter and she still manages to get food under her bib. Funny thing, the bibs are cloth, some made from towels, and they always come clean even after days of "marinating" in the stain. Go figure!
Thank you all again and if you come up with another miracle cure let me know!

***EDIT*** Just to clarify....I know how to use the Melaluca products! I have used them for years and have become more and more disappointed in them. There are a few things that I really like but Pre-Spot and Sol-u-Mel have never worked for me. I DO use them properly. I have a very natural home and Melaluca is not as "green" as they claim. I tried the suggestion of Fels Naptha and it worked! Thank you all!

Anytime I have had a stain that I can't remove, I take it to my mom. She seems to have this formula that works every time. And I'm not kidding. I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, not to mention the axle grease that got on my winter coat one time! Anyway, she says the best stand alone stain remover is Zout, but on the rare occassion that doesn't work, she makes a paste out of Biz powder and Tide laundry detergent. She applies the paste to the stain, scrubs it in a bit, applies more paste if necessary and lets it sit for about a day, then she washes it like normal, letting it air dry in case the stain is not completely gone. Sometimes she has to repeat this process a couple times, but there has NEVER been a stain that she has not completely removed this way. Hope this helps...good luck!

I'm in love with Savon de Marseille. It's French olive oil soap. I've gotten beets out of white cotton with it and it's completely non-toxic. It's not widely available but boutique shops have it. I have seen it at Garden of Eden at Grand and Victoria.

You wet the stain and scrub it with the soap (which comes in a cube.)

I know you said you've tried Oxyclean before. But, try the combo product of spray n wash and oxy. My sister told me about it and it works wonders. I don't think I've tried it on a stain that it hasn't tackled, including baby spitup that's been through the wash and the dryer already. Good Luck!

There is a website called soapsgonebuy.com and it has all sorts of the old soaps that most people cannot find in stores. I swear by a big ole bar of Fells Naptha soap, and oxyclean spray. When my daughter gets food stains on her clothes, and dirt, pretty much anything, I treat it with Oxyclean then rub the Fells naptha bar on it too. I let it sit for awhile and then wash them adding the oxyclean laundry booster to it for extra measure. The other thing I know makes a HUGE diffrence is the washing machine. Ever since we got a high efficiency washer the stains don't stand a chance. So maybe take a look at the washer you are using.. it might need a tune up?..

Hi Anne-Marie,

I use Zout concentrate it works wonders. I used to use Simple Green which works good but I stand by Zout. Don't use the spray Zout needs to be the concentrate and I squeeze it out on the stain. Sometimes with Spaghetti sauce I have to wash it twice if I don't catch it in time. Then I will use oxy-clean paste on grease and let it set for 4-6 hours. Hopes this helps. L.

I use the Melaleuca products and had to get used to using the Prespot correctly. It needs to sit for a long time. The Sol U Mel I've had incredible results with things like ink, old stains from spit up and poop. Have not tried it on tomato and berry though.

I still prefer my old method the best. I grew up with a mom that was a nurse. She would use Zout. It needs to be rubbed into the stain though...I use a small brush. You can find it as a Spray at Target, but I swear the bottle form is better. I know it is at Rainbow stores. Possibly Cub as well. I also like OxyClean Spray and it also needs to be rubbed in. For the worst stains I use the Zout and Oxyclean spray together, rub in well, reapply, rub again, let sit for a few minutes, and then use a tough detergent like Tide...adding more than normal for my front loader. I've gotten berry, tomato, grass, grease, blood, poop, etc out that way...even when they've sat for days in the hamper.

A carpet cleaner told me about mixing equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia together and it works very well. Depending on how large the stain is, I usually mix 1 tablespoon at a time in a small cup and just pour in on the stain and rub it in with a tootbrush. For my sons football pants I put it in a spray bottle. I have also found 2 commercial stain removers Zout and Greased Lightening remove a lot. My last resort is to soak the item in Biz at least overnight. Sometimes longer.

Ok..I'm really bad about pre-treating, so I just wash everything. If I still have stains that didn't come out in a regular wash, I will soak in oxiclean. I just fill up a sink with warm water and put in a fairly large scoop of oxiclean. Then I let it soak for like 10 hours - sometimes overnight. You have to leave it for a while. It will remove pretty much anything. Even stains that have been there a long time. I've never had a problem with fading. But you would want to wash it right away after soaking.

use wd40-works great for stains-fish oil base-used it all the time for my kids clothes-just spray a bit on the stain rub it in and wash....good luck

1 / 3