Social Security Card?

Hi - my 8-month-old son still hasn't received a SS card. I signed up for it in the hospital right after giving birth, and I just can't believe it takes this long! My 3-year-old's card definitely didn't take this long, although I can't remember the exact time it took. Is anyone else still waiting? Or should I be calling the SS Administration?

Thanks to everyone who responded! You all confirmed my suspicions that it was taking way too long! I went to the SS admin building, only to find out that he has a social security number, but we never received the card. I had a somewhat pointed discussion with the lady about how ridiculous it is that they don't use registered mail or signature required mail for social security cards because I have no idea if someone stole the card out of the mail and is using his SS#. She just stated that they get too many returned cards in a day to be able to track them. Ridiculous! Anyway, I had to provide a second form of identity (birth certificate was the 1st form) by going to his clinic and getting a document that shows proof of name, age, parents, etc. SO FRUSTRATING!! I did get his #, and the card should arrive in the mail soon. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for your advice!

I had my baby last November so things could have changed but I had mine before Christmas. I think it was about 3 weeks. If I was you I'd call or go down to the SS office and speak with someone.

My daughters didnt come right a way either. I signed up for it in the hospital and it says it should take up 13 weeks. I waited 14 and it still didnt come so I just went to the office. I got it a week after going in the office. It was just faster. Just go to the office...

Hahaha... funny you ask!! I did the same thing and signed up right after I had him at the hospital!! He is 4 and I am still waiting!!
My husband is in the military we HAD to have our sons ss number for everything and after I had not seen it in 4 months or so I called the ss office and they inform that it had been mailed out 2 months prior, I asked if they could send a new one... they said no I'd have to go to the ss office and order a new one!! Just what every new mom wants to do take thier newborn to a place like that. Anyway I went and I waited (forever) till my number was called and was told that I was misinformed that I need to have 2 forms of id (not just his birth certificate), including a picture ID.... WHAT he is 4 months old!! Needless to say I have yet to get a ss card for him, they printed off his number for me and that is all that I have. I know that I need to get back down there and get the card, but it was such a mess I know that I was being jerked around in every direction and well he is only 4.... still no picture ID!!! (I know that can not be a true policy!!) I'd call the SS department and see what is going on.... BEST OF LUCK!! = )

Yes, it has been way too long.

It doesn't take that long, so yes call. My child's got lost and they had to reissue him a new card. My only hope is some jerk didn't get his first one and is now destroying his credit.

I would call... I got my DDs by the time she was 2 months.

yes call!there is no way it should take this long. I had my son's when hee was two weeks old

I would call the SS Administration to check the status. My concern would be that someone stole it out of the mail and maybe using it illegally.

1 / 3