How Long to Get Social Security Number?

Does anyone know how long it took them to get their new baby's social security number? My son just turned 3 months last weekend and we're still waiting. We filled out the forms before we left the hospital. I called the office today and he's still no in the system...

I delivered my son at Illinois Masonic Hospital, in the city, this past June and filled out the paperwork at the hospital. We just got his SS card in the mail last week, so just after he turned 3 months. Thanks everyone.

It takes just about 3 months. My baby girl is just about 4 months and I think I received the SS# about 2 weeks ago. You should get it soon!

It takes about 12-14 weeks after their birth goes on file, so you should be recieving it any day now.

Hi there - we filled out the paperwork at the hospital as well - I think my son was 8 or 9 weeks old before we got anything.

I think we received our son's when he was about 4 months old. Just wait a few more weeks.

Seems like a long time. We filled out the paperwork at the hospital & received our daughter's SS card in about 4-6weeks. Hmmm. try contacting SS dept & see what the hold up is. It's possible maybe it never got processed..

I took 3-1/2 months for us.

Ours only took about 2-3 weeks, but my kids were born in New York. Maybe check back in with the hospital? I don't think it should take that long- our au pair just got her taxpayer id (similar process) and that only took about 2 weeks. You may have to do the stuff over again.

My son was born in Crown Point, IN, and we got his card in about 3 or 4 weeks! I would call.... :)
Congrats!!
E.

My son was born June 17 at Provena Mercy in Aurora and we are still waiting for his card............

It took us 4 months to the date. If it takes you longer, I'd keep making the phone calls.

I'm not sure where your son was born. I think the hosptial sometimes makes a difference. My son was born June 6th at Christ and I just received his card Monday. You can call the hospital where he was born and they usually can tell you a time frame. I bet you get it any day now.

By the way, my first week back to work was last week and it wasn't that bad. I have pictures of my 2 year old and my new son all over my office, my wallet, my computer and I do miss him but I also feel pretty darn good to have a reason to shower and use my career brain instead of my Mommy brain. I call daycare often to check in and I value our mornings and evenings together. Don't worry, it may be a little difficult at first but you AND your son will be just fine!

1 / 3