Sinus Pressure/15 Weeks Pregnant

Im 15 week pregnant with baby #2 and I have the worst sinus pressure! Being a weekend I havent been able to get ahold of my dr and ask what's safe to take. I have been using a neti pot 2 times a day but that's not working. I dont want to overload on meds but I need some releif! What over the counter meds are safe while pregnant? I feel like I can't breath and at night stuffy nose+heartburn=no sleep :(

Not all doctors agree. Mine okayed most OTC cold products including sudafed, claritin, benedryl, robotussin and nasal spray. Claritin D is just Claritin plus sudafed. I have terrible sinuses and I find nasal spray is the quickest relief and also least likely to get in the bloodstream to bother the baby.

I'm 38 wks and at my first visit for both of my kids I got a list of "safe while pregnant" meds for Cold/Allergy from my OB:

Robitussin (DM or expectorant)
Sudafed (it is behind the couner and you must ask the pharmacist for it)
Tylenol
Tylenol Cold
Claritin
Benadryl
Cough Drops
Drixoral
Tylenol Cold & Sinus
Tylenol PM

Safe for Heartburn/Indgestion/Gas:
Gas-X
Tums
Mylanta
Pepcid
Zantac

Safe for Constipation:
Metamucil
Citrucel
Colace

Safe for Diarrhea:
Imodium
Kaopectate

Dosages as directed.

Hope you feel better soon!

My doctor allowed me to take Sudafed...

Research a really good probiotic. It will reduce inflammation in your gut and therefore your entire body. There is nothing better for your baby!
NO MEDS ARE SAFE!
They change the brain waves of your baby. Forget about it.

I hated my doctor because the only drug he would let me take was Sudafed and that would be the only drug that did nothing for my sinus pressure.

I am going to share what you probably don't want to hear: I would not take anything medicated until consulting with your doctor. Sorry.

I do feel your pain as I too suffer from sinusitis and sinus pain, and when pregnant.

Some thoughts for today:
1. you live in Florida. Can you get to the beach and naturally breath in the ocean air?

2. Drink lots and lots of water....decaf tea....

3. do what makes you happy today. shop. read etc. take your mind off of it til tomorrow.

4. has your dr. said that tylonol is OK for pain? If so, that was a big help to me....

Hope you feel better quickly.

Jilly

Julie Bean had a great (and thorough!) list! I also wanted to add that if you can hold out til Monday you can ask your doctor for a Z-pack. That helped me a lot while pregnant. Pregnant ladies are more prone to sinus issues, not really sure why, but it's true! Anyway, all I usually had to do was call in to the office, speak with a nurse and he would call in my script for that afternoon. Good luck and hang in there!!

Claritin was ok with my Dr. NOT the kind called Claritin D, just regular Claritin. Good luck!!

1 / 3