Sick Baby! Really Need Help! Advice!!!

Hi, I have an 11 month old girl who for the past three weeks has been suffering from some type of sickness. I have taken her to her pediatrician 4 times in the past three weeks for answers and I feel like nothing is being done. Here are her symptoms..Fever..it ranges from anywhere from 99.9 to 102.5 (it seems to be higher at night)..stuffy/runny nose, green discharge from nose, Her appetite goes from eating to not eating at all, She tosses and turns all night long, she will wake up crying and then lay back down and go back to sleep. The first time I took her to the doctor they said it was a virus and to just watch her. I took her back 4 days later..she had the beginning of an ear infection in both ears and had a bacterial infection. They gave her Omnicef for her ears and had her take Zyrtec for her stuffiness. They wanted to see her after she fininshed the medication. I took her back they said her ears cleared up but to continue her on the Zyrtec in the morning and Singulair at night because she was still really congested. Now over the weekend she had a fever for three nights straight, tossing and turning at night, and once again her appetite had decreased. I took her back to the doctor this morning. She now has the beginning of another ear infection in one ear and she is still congested but the doctor saids he "is Frustrated with what is causing this". They gave her another antibiotic for her ear and to continue with the Zyrtec and want to see her back in 10 days. She had also lost 2 ounces in two days. Can somebody please help me!!!!! I don't know what to do at this point!!!!

Hi, Please get a second opinion but you need to get her on a decongestant possibly along with the antihistamine. Try Dimeatap. My Dr swears by it and so do I. It seems like she needs to dry out first. Once that is done she should get better. My son is prone to allergies and congestions and the combo of zyrtec and dimeatap work for him and it is less invasisve than tubes which should be a last resort.

Sounds like it's time for a second opinion. If you keep going back to the same doctor all you are going to get is the same incompetent answers. Go find another doctor - and do it soon.

I can't understand why she is on Zyrtec-- that is for allergies!! Fever and green snot is not an allergy!! See a new doctor or even go to a Centra Care if you have to. I would not go to the same doctor again!

I'm not sure what you have in your area....as far as a health food store. I have 3 children and my 2 oldest I gave antibiotics too. My youngest has never had an antibiotic. I wish I new then what I know now about antibiotics. When your child is sick and the doctor prescribes an antibiotic, it clears up the infection most of the time, but what they don't tell you is that the antibiotic also destroys the good bacteria in our childrens body and that is why your daughter has developed another ear infection. Her body wasn't able to produce the good bacteria our bodies need to fight off the infections. If you go to your local health food store and ask for PRIMIDOPHILUS, it is in the refrigerated section. It comes in a powder form. I mix it with my kids juice or yogurt. Once aday is all they need. Primidophilus contains the good bacteria that your body needs to fight infections and such. You can give your daugter the Primidophilus while you are giving her the antibiotic if you want but you need to make sure it's 2 hours or more after you give the antibiotic. I usually take my kids to their pediatrian so they can diagnose them and then I treat them myself. Also, if she is feeling discomfort they have a drop you can put in her ear that will subside the pain. It's called WILLOW/GARLIC EAR OIL. The willow is what helps with the pain and the garlic helps to dry up the fluid in the ear. I would recommend placing the bottom against your body for a few minutes, so the oil isn't cold or cool when placing the drops in her ears. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I know how is it to have a sick child and to feel so helpless. GOOD LUCK!!

Hi C..

I couldn't begin to tell you what is probably happening with the baby. But, I lived in NJ when my daughter (now 12) was born and she went through a very similar ear infection situation. Her pediatrician actually prescribed her antibiotics for 1 whole month. I was very unhappy because no matter how much antibiotics she took, the ear infections didn't seem to go away. Then, the pediatrician told me that she needed "tubes" in her ears to help drain the fluid that continuously accumulated in her ears and caused the infections. I didn't like that idea either...so, a friend of my husband suggested we take her to a "pediatric chiropractor". Skeptical we went and for 2 whole months we'd take her for massages on the back and sides of her neck. Miraculously, as it may sound, this helped tremendously, her ear infections went away. We moved to Florida within 6 months after this treatment and I will say that she still got ear infections, but very few and far in between. She is actually a very healthy young lady and she hasn't had an ear infection in over 2 years. Also, I truly believe that there are some doctors that just "don't hit the nail on the head" with some children.

I'm not sure what area you live in, BUT my current pediatrician is the best!!! I have 3 children: 14 yr. old son, 12 yr. old daughter and a 4 yr. old son. They have been going to this pediatrician since I moved to Florida and the youngest one has only been seen by her...and I've got to tell you that I am very happy with her. She always gets things "right" with my 3 kids.

Here is her name and number just in case you're interested in getting a second opinion - which I highly suggest you do -it can't hurt. Her name is Dr. Janet Belton, and her office is located in Apopka ###-###-####. The name of the practice she belongs to is "Altamonte Pediatrics".

I truly hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Well, first of all I have never heard of a child being on Zyrtec AND Singulair. My son took both for a while but at different times. They treat allergy symptoms but both in different ways. I think I'd have to ask questions about that.

My suggestion would be to take your child to an allergist. You might find there's something that is causing the symptoms she's having. I cleared my home of toxic chemicals (regular cleaning stuff like Lysol, Fabreeze, cleaning liquids, etc.) and my son has no more allergy symptoms. He's also been able to discontinue his nebulizer. Amazing, but true!! Find the cause, treat the direct problem. The constant fever and repeat ear infections is a problem. BTW, baby shampoos have formaldehyde (listed as quanternium 15) and that will cause ear infections.

K. Woodlief
www.LovinLifeHome.com
voicemail/fax: 800-841-5821

I can understand your frustration because babies cant speak for themselves. Are you laying your baby down to take a bottle? This sometimes allows milk to back up thru their eustachian tubes and cause ear infections. Allergies can also lead to infections. Do you have pets in the house? Perhaps you need to get a second opinion. Also, some babies run a low grade fever and dont eat well when they are teething. Dont grow weary in trying to find an answer, afterall this is your babies healthy and the doctor needs to find an answer for you. If all else fails, you can take her to the emergency room (if you have good insurance).

Good luck and God bless,
Grandma in Florida

From reading your post, it really seems like alot of medication for an 11 month old to be on. The mix of all of that medication can be making her feel ill as well. There are some great holistic websites you can go on that give great remedies! We do this for our almost 8 month old baby. We also take her to a holistic pediatrician as well as a regular one too. Doctors see something wrong and immediately prescribe medicine when it could possibly be something so little. This could be a food reaction, she could have been bit by something, teething, etc... Congestion has be cured with a cool mist humidifier and Baby-Vix! I just personally think they are shoving medications down your baby when there could be other ways to treat these symptoms. If you're in Miami, I have a great holistic pediatrician on South Beach and I could give you his information. Some people are for medication and some people aren't. I'll use it when necessary, but you have to find the route of this problem. Online websites are also just as good! It's worth a shot :)
Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further help.

Her problem starts in the immune system which starts in the gut/intestines. The antibiotics given will cause more problems down the road! She needs probiotics! Empty probiotic capsules into her milk twice daily for a couple months. If you are nursing then you should also take probiotics. Most doctors never learn about probiotics. They only learn drugs which pay kickbacks. Probiotics saved my oldest daughter's life. Aloe vera gel in the ears will help a lot. Feel free to e-mail me. God Bless, M.

1 / 3