Ear Infection in 12 Month Old

Hi my daughter is 12 months old and has an ear infection. She began her antibiotic 2 days ago but I have seen no improvement in her. She is still very fussy and is still running a fever. In fact she is now starting to pull at her other ear. She also has a really bad cold. When should she be starting to feel better and is it normal for her to continue to have fever? I am worried about her as this is her 4th ear infection in the past 5 months. Thank you so much.

Take her back to the DR, she might not be responding to the med's, she should have had some change by now. They might have to give her soemthing stronger.

The first time my 4 year old daughter had an ear infection, we gave her antibiotics. The 2nd time in 6 months , I put some garlic oil drops in her ear and made her lay down with a hot (warm) water bottle wrapped in a towel on her ear. She napped, woke up better, went to bed that night and woke up feeling "Great"!!
The next time (one month later) we were at a hotel and all I had was a warm wet washcloth. That worked too. She was fine in the morning.
She hasn't had one since (knock on wood!)

I recommend getting her off dairy if she is on any and taking her to a chiropractor or someone that does cranial sacral. Antibiotics are only going to hurt her health more so you need to find an alternative now.

My daughter just had an ear infection and I found a wonderful MD/ homeopath pediatrician and he recommended willow/garlic ear drops which you can get at Whole Foods or any health food store. He said if it didn't work in 3 days he'd prescribe antibiotics. I feel like Dr.'s prescribe too many antibiotics and they don't seem to always help. I agree with the person that said to give probiotics, great to give year round to keep his immune system up. It helped my daughters digestion as a baby as well. Also Elderberry extract is great for an immune booster ( but check the age it's ok for). With all that her ear infection went away in a few days. Also try eliminating dairy products (use soy formula or something other then milk) to stop the congestion. Good luck!

Hello C.,
I'm a nutritionist and I specialize in infant nutrition. The most important thing you should be thinking about is WHY you baby is getting re-occurring ear infections. From my experience, 95% of infants with ear infections benefit from eliminating pasteurized cow dairy which is the most common allergen. It's fascinating to see how powerful nutrition is in infants. Your baby can go from chronically ill to perfect health by just focusing on her nutrition.

Perhaps the only thing you need to do to get her better is eliminate the offending cause. Can you remove ALL pasteurized cow dairy from your baby's diet for 1-3 months and see how she does? The reason is that pasteurized cow milk (which is the base for infant formula) contains some very strong allergens which cause an inflammatory reaction resulting in ear infections, skin conditions, asthma, and gastro-intestinal problems. It's incredibly common, and it was a personal battle of mine as a child. I had many years of ear infections and I suffered terribly!

Your very best substitute for cow dairy based infant formula is RAW goat milk. Raw milk actually helps PREVENT ear infections while pasteurized milk tends to cause them. If you don't know about raw milk, please read up on it. I has improved the life and health of countless babies and parents. It's an amazing health food.

Benefits and safety or raw milk: Raw-milk-fact.com
http://tinyurl.com/6rnmba

If you live in Miami, I have started a Co-op to obtain it from a wonderful Amish farm. Read more details about the Miami Co-op, raw dairy and safety for infants here: http://tinyurl.com/6pc2sq

If you are not in Miami, and your health food store (Whole Foods/Wild Oats) will carry it. It's sometimes in the back and you have to ask for it and it says "for pet consumption" on it, but it's just a FL law. (In very health progressive states like CA for example, raw milk does not need to say "for pet consumption"). Or if you don't want to get it at the health food store, you can have very high quality raw milk shipped to you from a number of farms around the country: www.realmilk.com/where.html

Your second best alternative if you cannot afford raw goat milk (which by the way is delicious and lasts 2-3 weeks in a cold fridge), is pasteurized goat milk found next to the regular milk at the supermarket. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.meyenberg.com/?action=prod2
However, due to the ultra processing/pasteurization of this milk, it may also aggravate your baby's ears. Yet it's easier for infants to digest and more similar to breast milk.

Lastly, it is critical that you give your baby probiotics aka beneficial bacteria specific for infants. These good bacteria which keep your baby's immune system strong, have all been killed off by the antibiotics. Now, with much of the good flora destroyed and immune system weakened, ear infections can occur more easily. Here is a page of info on a great brand of infant probiotics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uajx

You should also read about homeopathic remedies for ear infections. They are the safest way to treat them in infants, and proven effective in numerous scientific trials over the years. The best known one is Oto-Plex.
http://tinyurl.com/5bu5tj

In brief, if you do not address the underlying cause of her ear infections by removing allergens and building up her immune system, the infections will continue to happen and your baby's health will always suffer in one area or another. The reoccurring ear infections are a sign that "something is wrong" and causing her immune system to constantly battle. Getting tubes put in does not eliminate the offending cause.

I highly encourage you to try removing all cow dairy in her diet for at least 3 months and supplementing with probiotics. Side note, do not use soy milk. It is a poison for babies and linked to some horrible health problems. You can read more about dangers of soy for infants and kids here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/infant.html

A. R., CN

Ear infections can either be viral or bacterial. 80% are viral. Antibiotics will do nothing for a viral ear infection. Doctors are aware of this, but since they can not get sufficient information from a 1 year old to determine which it is, and a bacterial infection can get bad enough to cause deafness, they immediately put them on antibiotic. It does usually take 3-4 days to see improvement. Also a child can pull at either ear when only one is infected. Pulling at her other ear does not necessarily mean anything. Im sorry for how helpless and sad for your baby you are feeling. I can't think of anything worse than watching your baby in pain and not being able to make it better, Hang in there.

Hey C.,

If this is the 4th infection in 5 months then the antibiotics are not working. I would go to the health food store and get some natural medicine for her ears. I've done that with my son and never had to give him any antibiotics. Also, the antibiotics are destroying the good enzymes in her tummy. You can get probiotics at the health food store to replace that in her system. Or you can contact me if you'd like and I can recommend something that I take for myself after taking antibiotics that works wonders for my digestive system!

All the best to you!

Mornin, C.~ I just went through this with my 11 mo old last week. I felt the same way you do....why no improvement by now? My Dr said the antibiotics take about 48 hours to start working. Taylor was showing symptoms and fever for practically a week. Mid-week, her breathing started sounding weird. I let it ride for about 3 days, then went to urgent care. Thank heavens it was just mucas and nothing in her lungs. Of course, she was MUCH better the next day. Funny how that always seems to happen. My point is, just ride it out (unless her fever gets out of control) and see how she's doing in a few days.

C.,
I was in your position two years ago with my little boy. It gets to the point where the antibiotics no longer work. I finally ask the dr about tubes and he hasn't had an ear infection since. They are amazing and I would do it again if I had to. A fever is common with ear infection, but if she is still seems to have a cold she may have another virus on top of that. I would call the dr just to be safe. Sometimes they would switch my son to another med b/c he had become resistant to the one he was on. Hope she feels better soon!
God Bless,
R.

1 / 3