Ear Infections in 2 Year Old

Hey everyone my son just turned 2 on last Thursday. Last month he had a cold and I took him in to the doctor and he said that Ethan had an ear infection in one of his ears. He gave us Amoxicillion and I thought it went away. Well then literally 1 month to the day he got sick again so I took him in last Monday and our Dr. said he had to really bad ear infections in both ears. He gave us the heavier dose of Amoxicillion with something else in it I can't remember the ingrediant. And now my son has been on the anti-biotic a week now and seems to still be very irritable and uncomfortable.
I called the Dr's office and spoke to a nurse and she said that is not supossed to be happening after a few days on the medicine he should be getting better and that I need to bring him asap to have his ears checked again.
My question is..My son has never had ear infections before last month and I am a little worried at why the heavier does of Anti-biotics aren't working. Any one experience the same thing?

My husband took him to the Dr. this morning. He said the ear infection is clearing up however he still does have fluid in his ears. That he may be reacting to all the cedar in the air here in Austin and to buy Claritin for him and try that and see if it helps. But if he develops a fever to bring him right in b/c that would mean the infection did not go away.

You might consult an allergist. My daughter's ear infections were chronic at that age and my pediatrician just prescribed antibiotic after antibiotic. I finally took her to Tyler for allergy tests and was shocked at all the things causing the fluid to build up. She never had another ear infection after that. My peidiatrician did not refer us to the allergist, and only suggested tubes in her ears. She was such a "water-dog," though, I opted against tubes and took her to the allergist. It worked.

In my opinion you should take him to ENT b/c if he has fluid in his ears he can't hear the speech around him correctly and it could impair his language development. He may need tubes or at the least ear drops to help get rid of it faster.
Hope that helps
J. V

Many ear infections are caused by a virus. If this is the case, the antibiotic will not help. We will usually wait about 10 days before giving an antibiotic. My daughter had 4 or 5 ear infections her first year and we treated one that she had for 14 days.

My daughter had severe ear infections during the time she was two as well. The best advice I can give that worked for us was:
1)Use Symolasyn ear drops to sooth discomfort - have you or your husband warm the bottle of ear drops in warm hands until you cannot feel the drop on your own skin. Use two drops in each ear morning and night to relieve discomfort and speed healing.
2) Also, make sure that you do not have ceiling fans on - weird but true - the circulation of the fan drones into their ears and causes more discomfort and delays healing.
3) When the pain is really bad, try using a heating pad to rest his ears on or the rice in a sock method works as well - dry rice in a thick sock can be heated in the microwave or kept in the freezer for boo-boo's.
4) Also, make sure that he does not have drinks while lying down, for the liquid will drain into their ear canals as well.
5) Keep his upper body slightly elevated at night while he is sleeping to help with the drainage.
Also, I don't know if your pharmacy has it but most will carry Rescon GG which is specifically for ear infections, it helps drain the eustation tubes...

Hope some of this helps.. I know how frustrating it is when they are in such discomfort and the medicine isn't helping. Now you don't have to feel so helpless.. :-)

Take care and good luck!
A.

I went through a similar situation when my son was 2 (3 sets of ear infections in a period of a couple months).

I took my son to a chiropractor, Dr. Ruth Durkee, she is great with kids. She told me big reason why kids get ear infections is their tubes don't drain properly due to their neck and spine being out of line. I also took him off dairy products for a while.

My son hasn't had an ear infection since. It's certainly worth a try and cheaper than running to the doctor, buying prescriptions, or putting tubes in his ears.

Don't worry about it, my daughter is a pro at ear infection now. Some antibiotics just do not work on certain children. My daughter had so many ear infections and only a hand full of antibotics worked with her. Additionally some infections need different types of antibotics. There are a million other drugs beside amoxicillion that work just as well if not better. You just have to find out what works best for your little guy. I would not be to concerned about it. I cannot believe that your doctor didn't request to see him in a few days anyways just to make sure that the antibotics were working. Good luck!

Hi J., I am a mom of 2 and my oldest is 12. He has experienced ear infections from age 1 and his history makes me the unofficial queen of ear infections. Antibiotics are usually for infections and not much help with viruses. Most ear infections start with viruses (colds, etc.) The help of antibiotics with ear infections is bolstering the immune system that is depleted from the cold. It does not surprise me at all that your son has not responded and now has another infection. I agree with the nurse, bring him in asap for a recheck and follow the directions of the doctor, even if it is another round of antibiotics. Ask your doctor about treating the pain with altering Tylenol and Ibuprofen throughout the day. The relief of the pain may help him to sleep better and this will allow his body to heal faster. If he falls asleep with a bottle, the sucking will put pressure on the ears in a flat position and will cause additional pain.

There are many more steps to take if this progresses, but since this is the first experience you have had, I would just try these steps for now.

Good Luck, S.

I have 3 boys, 6, 4, and 10 months-- My oldest son had the same problem when he was younger, he ended up having tubes put in his ears and that seemed to help a lot. You might ask your doctor whether or not he needs to see an ENT (ears, nose, throat) doctor.

Hello J. I am sorry to hear about your sons ear infection. My son had an ear infection when he was 4 months old and maintained ear infections continuously until the age of 3. We were in and out of Drs. offices and he was always on antibiotics. All I can tell you is that I was extremly frustrated and upset with the physicians for letting it go on for so long. We demanded our son have tubes put in his ears. This happened when he turned 3. The proceedure took no time and his ear infections went away immediately. Before the tubes had been placed in his ears they had my son on low dose of amoxicillion 3x daily for 3wks. as prevenative maintenance. As soon as my son came off the medication we were right back to ear infections. That is when the tubes were put in. My son is now 18 and has been fine. As he grew the tubes fell out he had the proceedure done twice. The sad thing is my son has some hearing loss and as a mother I think it slowed him down a bit with reading etc.. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

About myself. I am 52 years old. I have 2 children 26 and 18 now. I have been married for 20 years and I can feel your pain for your child. Maybe this will help you a little bit. God Bless you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Best wishes for you and your son.

J., my daughter has only had one ear infection before she turned two and then she just got one at Christmas in both ears. She did respond to the amoxicillin (which I don't like giving her), so that was good news. However, my sister is a nurse and there is some new information that amoxicillin is two common of an antibiotic to treat a lot of children's ear infections. And, that another type of antibiotic is needed to remove the infection completely.

In addition, think back and see if your child had the sniffles or a runny nose before the ear infection appeared. If the runny nose was clear, it's possible that your child is reacting to allergies and might be getting the ear infection as a result of congestion in the head and nose that drains into his ears. Little ones sinuses aren't mature enough to drain this fluid effectively. Especially because they sleep flat on their backs at night and don't know how to blow their noses well.

So, maybe your child has some allergies and really needs to have some seasonal remedy to help with that so the fluid doesn't build up and have no where to go. Just something to think about the next time you see the runny nose appear. I know that children as young as two can be prescribed Singulair, although doctors don't want them to take it regularly because it hampers the child's ability to build up immunities to other allergens around them. So, that is why I say that maybe the seasonal changes (or exposure to a different pet or food) may trigger the runny nose and congestion.

Hope this helps!

L. P

1 / 3