Singulair for Treating Ear Infections???

My pediatrician just prescribed singulair for 30 days to treat my daughter's ear infection. She is 3yrs old and her first ear infection was in January. She has been on antibiotics twice and still has some fluid in her ear. Her nose and sinuses seem totally clear and I am nervous about giving her this drug. Has anyone else been prescribed singulair for this purpose? What did you do?

Thank you?

My son is on zyrtec (same type of medicine) for the same reason. He had 4 ear infections in a row and we were going to see an ENT about tubes but since being on the zyrtec he hasn't had 1 ear infection.

I also have 3 other friends with the same experience.

I think its definintely worth a shot!

I would try chiropractic. If you read other posts about ear infections, you will see how many people agree. I don't know why they would use singulair, but I haven't researched it. I have seen many kids in my chiropractic office stop having them or get better faster (including one of my own children) over the last 15 years!

OMG.

Ok, here's the deal. Ear infections are usually caused by diet...and the inability to drain the eustacian canal. I would try this WAY before doing the Singulair or even antibiotics.

1. NO DAIRY for 2 weeks.
2. NO SUGAR for 2 weeks.
3. 2 PB8 (probiotic from nutrition now) - one in the am and one in the pm - you can opne teh cpasule, if she can't swallow pills.
4. Echinacea/Goldenroot (4 droppers of it daily) from Herbs for Kids
5.) Therapeutic dosages of vitamin A and D for a WEEK (30,000iu of A with 3,000iu of D).

Let me know how fast it works. You'll be amazed.

The other thing that works really well, if you are open-minded, is chiropractic adjustments.

Here are all of the links to make this easy on you:

PB8: http://www.nutritionnow.com/PB8/index.html
Herbs For Kids: http://www.herbsforkids.com/product.asp?productid=359
Vitamin A: http://goodhealthnaturally.nourished.com.au/beta-carotene...
Chiropractic: http://icpa4kids.org/finder.html?q=otitis+media

don't know about Singulair but try googling "serrapeptase" its natural and can cure ear infections but also is a blood thinner so if your child has a bleeding problem this would not be for her.

I would request an alternate medication. Singulair is typically given for allergy symptoms (post-nasal drip, sneezing, etc that comes with hay fever - allergic rhinitis)... and it has some very scary stories. Not trying to scare you- my son was on it for 2 months at age 7 for allergies - but it started giving him a stomach ache, so we discontinued it.

There was a lot of media attention on this drug about 2 yrs ago, if I remember correctly, b/c it was associated with an increased rate of suicide (obviously in older patients than your daughter).
I assume the doc prescribed it to dry out her sinuses so that the eustachion (sp?) tubes can dry out and get rid of the ear infection... all that stuff is connected you know. But I would ask for an alternative treatment if it were my own child, knowing what I know now.

http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/fda-issues-early...

I think its definintely worth a shot!

acually makes sense to me other wise the antibiotic will send fluid back to the nose and the nose clears up and goes back to the ears. runny nose comes with allergies and if it doesn't go out it will go to the ears.

What we do for our girls on the rare occassions they have some ear infection is put a couple of drops of garlic oil in their ear. It's a home remedy that works really well. We get the garlic oil from our local Whole Foods Market. It wouldn't hurt to try. Let her lie down on her side, put the drops in, and have her stay in that position for about 5 minutes. Put a cotton ball in to absorb the moisture that's going to come out. Do this a couple of times. With our girls, the infection goes away by the 2nd day and sometimes, by the next day. The antiobiotics have compromised her immune system already so trying another way (without the drugs) might help bring her immune system back up. Good luck and I sincerely hope your daughter's ear infection goes away.

I take both Zyrtec & Singulair for allergies. Singulair in the morning, Z at night. Without the Singulair, I am miserable! There is a night/day difference in how my allergies are with this drug.

I realized that as an adult this probably has no bearing on your situation, but just thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

1 / 3