PCP Or OB-GYN?

I don't know if it's late PPD (my son is 5 months old) or just plain depression but I need to do something about it. I cry all the time, I am bitchy to my husband (among other people) and I am pretty much angry at the whole world...
Should I go see my Primary care Physician or my OB? I would assme the OB would tell me that this is not his expertise (obviously) and just refer me to someone else...

Sooo... Today I went to my OB-Gyn to get an IUD (the heck with the pill! LOL) and I told him about the feelings I've had and he wrote me an Rx for Prozac. Apparently it takes about 2 weeks to kick in but hopefully i'll get back to my old self soon. Thank you so much to all of you ladies for your support!

Go to the Dr you feel most comfortable with. I went to my OB/GYN. (She is the GREATEST!!!) She put me on Welbutrin XL and I feel much better.

Behavioral Health has excellent Therapists if you would just like someone to talk to about your depression.

I'm sure you could talk to either about this, but maybe talk to your OBGYN first. I went through this after I had my son and still battle it here and there. It was difficult over the summer (when he was 4-5 months old)because I was home with him all day, everyday and had too much time to think about everything and anything and get annoyed/upset. I talked to my dr. and she prescribed me something and gave me a list of people to call. The medication seemed to help and I really would like to talk to someone, I just don't know where I could fit into my schedule right now.
It is diffiucult to go through and in my case, I just fel that no one could understand and I wanted to be alone. If you need someone to talk to, let me know. I understand what you are going through.
-J.

I have suffered with Depression after all 3 of my kids but never did anything about it until my last one.. Wish I would have gone to the Dr's after the first two.. I would call your PCP.. They put me on lexapro and I can't be happier.. Got rid of the blues and the bitchyness.. I know what you are going through.. I hate being on meds but I rather be on them then suffer.. I am back to my old self..

Call your PCP. Good luck. I went through it, too. It's tough.
~~~~HUGS~~~~

I have several friends who say their PPD didn't start until around 4 or 5 months. You could go to either doctor, but I'd probably pick my OB because he/she has way more experience in dealing with PPD. Definitely don't be afraid to ask for some help. I think it's great that you're aware of it and I hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs!

I would try the PCP, and if they don't feel they can help, they will probably refer you to a psychiatrist. It's actually common to kick in or peak around 4-5 months as the hormones shift.

They should do a metabolic panel on you to check for obvious hormonal imbalances (thyroid, cortisol, and insulin issues being two of the biggies) before jumping to antidepressants.

You can also make sure you're getting proper nutrition. Deficiencies in B vitamins, iron, zinc, amino acids, and omega-3's; or consuming too much of bad things like artificial sweeteners and dyes, MSG, unfermented soy products, corn syrup, refined sugars and starches, can really cause problems. And when we need good nutrition the most, with all the work and stress of a small baby, is when we tend to eat the worst. You could try to do a week of really healthy eating and see if that makes a difference.

WOW! I have been there. At least you are aware now, it took me till my son was 10 months old. I am going to say go to your PCP because my OB-GYN blew me off when I suggested it(now this was 6 years ago). I actully went straight to a psychologist, but I am sure the PCP will be able to help you as as well.
Good luck and please ask for help when you need it. Get away from the baby when you feel you need to and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about it. You have done NOTHING wrong....it just happens.
Best wishes!

1 / 3