What Kind of Doctor Prescribes Anxiety Meds?

I am just about out of my anxiety medication, which is bringing on... yep, more anxiety! Years ago I had been prescribed anxiety medication through my OBGYN, I take it only on an as-needed basis (not daily). I ran out, but didn't really need them anymore. A few years later, I had such a severe anxiety attack I landed in the ER... and they had prescribed me some more. Mind you, this bottle of 10 pills has lasted me almost 2 years. I've only got 1 left, and without insurace, I don't see a regular PCP and I feel like if I go to some random doctor they're just going to think I'm some sort of addict looking for drugs (and I can't blame them, I used to work at a pharmacy and saw addicts all the time... people would actually wreck their cars/break limbs/cut themselves enough to require stitches just to get pain meds!! SCARY!!)... We see a couples counselor, and I thought about mentioning it to him, but even though he's a doctor I don't think he's authorized to prescribe medication. Where do I go? I just need my anxiety meds on hand for those emergency, sneaky anxiety attacks.

Go to a psychiatrtist. They are the best at this issue, and if you could benefit from therapy with the meds, they will know who to refer you to as well.

You absolutely want to see a psychiatrist for this type of prescription. They're the most knowledgeable about this type of medication. A general physician or OB/GYN is not an expert. You want someone who can tell you exactly how it works, the potential side effects and their personal experience with patients taking the particular medication. A psychiatrist is well versed in anti-anxiety meds.

You can go to your regular GP or internist and she/he should be able to prescribe them for you.

My first prescription of anti-anxiety meds came from my psychiatrist, but after I stopped seeing her she told me that my regular doctor could prescribe them for me. She informed me that if the doctor was hesitant about it than he could contact her. When I went for my appointment with my internist he told me it was not a problem and that he would continue to prescribe my anti-anxiety meds as well as my antidepressants.

I dont have insurance so i know who this is and am on anxiety meds/ mine were written for me by a pyschiatrist?? If you have a primary care doc, which sounds like you dont, but if you had one even awhile ago you can call and explain the situation and that you meed them on hand, some doctors will fill a script like that. Mine has anyways. You could go into a walk in clinic too either through Public Health or state health. Again explain situation, most doctors will understand. I would contact public health office. They would be the quickest. It is low cost and you can get put on there if need be for regular doc visits and such. Good luck!!

-Libby

I think it's time to see a PCP. Or if you feel closer to your OBGYN then go to him/her and let them know you need a refill. Bite the bullet, get it done and feel better soon!

As long as they have an MD, they can prescribe anxiety meds (some won't though). If you get a new PCP (which is what I'd recommend), have the OB/GYN fax your previous record over there, or you can bring it to the new one to show you've had it before. The new PCP won't think you're drug seeking if you explain the issue.

My husband had some issues with anxiety when we first were dating. He had a severe attack and was taken to the hospital from work because they thought he was having a heart attack. He had some anxiety meds that he refilled a few times, wanting to always have them for "just in case." He hasn't needed to take anything for years. It finally came down to him learning to deal with his anxiety and be able to calm himself down. Having an anxiety attack is a scary experience, but you haven't needed the meds on a regular basis. Talk to your counselor about your concerns. He may or may not be able to prescribe meds depending on his license, but more importantly he will be able to help you get to the root of the anxiety and teach you coping techniques to get you through those moments without needing to take medication. Good luck to you!

You can go to your local Health Clinic they can prescribe meds.you don't need insurance they will need proof of income.All my OBs prescribed meds mainly Zoloft.so does my primary care doc.The clinic has offered to give me a prescription but I already had one in place.

You need to see a Psychiatrist. Either your Ob-Gyn or Family Practice doctor can refer you or your insurance company can give you a list of Psychiatrist in your area.

1 / 3