Opting Out of Fundraiser Sales-Can We??

My son's school sent home catalogs for odering extremely overpriced wrapping paper, knicknacks, cookie dough & other junk food. I have NO interest in buying any of it, nor do I wish to bother my family/friends with it either.

My child is far too young to be out soliciting, even though I knocked on doors for 13 years to support my school. It seems that the schools now don't even want the kids going door-to-door.

Do any of you not sell the stuff, and instead just give a donation? If so, how much should we give?

Ok, I'm writing my check!! It is a Catholic school, so the fundraisers are much more important for them, but I still can't understand selling crap, and I already have enough wrapping paper to last me a few years. Thanks for helping me get a backbone, ladies :)

We usually just give a donation to the PTA instead of doing the fund raiser...this way the PTA/school gets 100% of the money instead of 10% of it.

Give what you can afford to give. There is not a set limit. What we do is we tell the PTA this donation is in lieu of Innisbrook or Sally Foster.

We don't participate in those fundraisers either. Too pricey and I don't want to deal with the hassle. I help the school in other ways throughout the year.

Give whatever you can afford directly to the school. Then they get 100% of the profit rather than just a small portion.

I was told to donate $40 last year. Contact the person in charge of the fundraising committee on the PTA and ask them specifically. They will have a number for you, and won't give you a hard time about not participating.

If you can afford to give a donation, do so in whatever amount you can afford. We run a direct donation campaign and donations are usually $50 per family but plenty of people give $10 or $25 and quite a few give $75, $100 or more. Really, anything is welcome.

If you can't afford a donation, just ignore the fundraisers. Participation for the fundraisers I've been involved in over the years has ranged from 10-80%. No one is tracking who does and doesn't give (or if someone is, he or she has too much time on his or her hands).

If you want to know where the money goes and can't attend meetings, e-mail the treasurer or a board member and she should be able to provide you with a copy of the budget so that if you do donate or participate in a fundraiser, you know where your money is going. I am the treasurer at one of my children's schools and I am more than happy to let people know what we are doing with their money.

I do not participate. I donate via my tuition payments (Montessori) and my school taxes (which I have been paying for 15 years without having a child in the school system yet). I donate time to my son's classroom.

I stopped doing the books. When the school asked for ideas, i let them know what would work. If they sold chocolate bars or taffy apples, they would be gone before lunch at my job. For the books with gifts and wrapping, not many will buy. Everyone is on a tight budget and I do not have auntie this and uncle that to buy from us. We try to participate in something but not the books of stuff to buy.

I do not do the fundraisers. It's always something as you stated, over priced items and mine are too young to go door to door and I don't like bothering the neighbors or friends and family. The kids right now have a walk a thon we're suppose to raise money for. We're new to this area and don't know people nor do we live on a regular street. We live on a crazy road.

I don't buy the stuff either. I'll buy for Girl Scouts and stuff like that. Our problem is we've lived aboard military housing bases for several years and were lucky that there was a no soliciting order on base. We did not get people at our door unless they were kids we knew. Now that we're back to living in the civilian world, we've gotten people from all over! "Have you heard the word?" Yup, heard it it, got it, understand it and know it. Bu-buy! LOL

Don't feel bad about not doing the fundraisers. It's not mandatory. Some may make you feel guilty but you are not going to be the only parent who does not do it. There's kids who will turn in their paper and only their parents will be on there to save face, lol.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

1 / 3